Author Topic: Can someone please motivate me to eat better?  (Read 8273 times)

Online Lintu

• Passed on to another Brane
Can someone please motivate me to eat better?
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »
I need, like, a gazillion calories while nursing, and the healthy high-cal stuff doesn't seem to fill me up.  As a result, I'm eating total crap.  HELP.
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline crazypants

Re: Can someone please motivate me to eat better?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »
Pasta!! Pasta with Bolognese sauce.
Stew! Beef stew with potatoes, beef, pork, veggies and a side of bread. (use low sodium for the broth or make the stock at home).

Healthy, hearty and delicious!

Online Lintu

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
God I love bolognese.  And stew.  :D
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline crazypants

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
God I love bolognese.  And stew.  :D
Those things are not only calorie rich- they're also dense as anything.

I would have suggested whole wheat pasta instead of white, but my girlfriend (a dietitian) has been convincing me that the benefits of brown vs. white is pretty non-existent, so go with preference in terms of taste.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
Lintu, does it help to keep in mind that what goes in is the foundation for producing what comes out?  think of the child!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
I would think things that are hearty, stews, chilis, etc. You can make a big batch, even crock pot, and eat it throughout the week with minimal effort to reheat.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Online Lintu

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
Those things are not only calorie rich- they're also dense as anything.

I would have suggested whole wheat pasta instead of white, but my girlfriend (a dietitian) has been convincing me that the benefits of brown vs. white is pretty non-existent, so go with preference in terms of taste.

Interesting!

Online Lintu

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
Lintu, does it help to keep in mind that what goes in is the foundation for producing what comes out?  think of the child!

I'm not sure it makes a difference in milk quality or anything, does it?  But I think they DO get a taste for what the mom eats or something, if I recall correctly...maybe that's just in pregnancy...

Online Lintu

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »
I would think things that are hearty, stews, chilis, etc. You can make a big batch, even crock pot, and eat it throughout the week with minimal effort to reheat.

Now I just have to motivate myself to do that rather than reach for cookies and ice cream!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »
chick peas can be roasted with any variety of seasonings, e.g. http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/10/exactly-how-i-roast-my-chickpeas/

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
Eh I would just eat the damn cookies. How many times in life is this going to be a problem?  :D
Because PANTS

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »
I'm not sure it makes a difference in milk quality or anything, does it?  But I think they DO get a taste for what the mom eats or something, if I recall correctly...maybe that's just in pregnancy...

I don't really know... quality is usually measured by percent milk fat, so it's a poor reference stick for vitamins, minerals, carbs etc.  I suspect, from my limited knowledge, that so long as you are taking in sufficient nurtrients from which to draw on, you're okay.  Adding chips and twinkies to that won't change the fact it's available.  So probably not an issue unless ALL you are eating is kraft dinner and popsicles.  :)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
Now I just have to motivate myself to do that rather than reach for cookies and ice cream!
true, but in one swoop, you can feed yourself for a week :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
Avocados and olives come to mind... guacamole.  Agree on the whole wheat vs. white.  If fiber is the only difference, I get enough of that from fruit and veggies.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
I would argue that cookies and ice cream, aren't necessarily "crap" if they are basic ingredients and you don't need to lose weight.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »
Do your pants fit?  That's my biggest motivation.  The ones I wanted to wear today didn't.    :(
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Online Lintu

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »
Complicating factor -- DH wants to lose weight, so calorie-dense stuff around the house is tricky unless I carefully guide him away from it!

My pants fit, yeah, but I'm not back to pre-baby shape yet.  I still feel soft.  I didn't feel soft still at this point after Quinn.  Damned 2nd kid.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
Complicating factor -- DH wants to lose weight, so calorie-dense stuff around the house is tricky unless I carefully guide him away from it!

My pants fit, yeah, but I'm not back to pre-baby shape yet.  I still feel soft.  I didn't feel soft still at this point after Quinn.  Damned 2nd kid.

Is you kid even 6 weeks old yet?  :skep: 
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Online Lintu

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
Is you kid even 6 weeks old yet?  :skep: 

Yes!  He'll be 7 weeks on Friday :D

Online Lintu

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »
Ok, maybe I don't need a gazillion calories.  A particular pair of jeans that fit fine pre-preg button but squish up fat I didn't have before.  I figure I can start by at least cutting out obvious crap like cookies and ice cream and then go from there...

+-SUPPORT US