Author Topic: I ate Korean food tonight  (Read 10891 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
I ate Korean food tonight
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »
We went with some friends and OMG was it delicious.  We started with a vegetable scallion pancake that I tasted just a bit of but was fantastic.  Then we all had stone bowls.  I think the name for the beef version was bulgogi; I had the vegetable + tofu version.  It was outrageously good with a really tasty sauce and some different salads alongside.  The veg part was good but the crispy rice on the bottom of the bowl was fantastic.  (downside was I didn't leave any behind, as I usually would).

Adn I never knew that I liked kimchee!  I've tasted so many different regions' cuisines and never had this.  I want to go back tomorrow.  :d
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Tim

• The Runners
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
I love Korean food. Now I want some kimchee.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
Re: I ate Korean food tonight
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:06:29 PM »
 :drooling-5:
Because PANTS

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:34:37 AM »
I love Korean food! It is so flavorful. I miss the place I used to go to near BU when I lived in Boston. Glad you enjoyed it!
This space for rent.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »
I love Korean food! It is so flavorful. I miss the place I used to go to near BU when I lived in Boston. Glad you enjoyed it!
what place???? i always got vietnamese.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »
It was a couple of doors down from the Paradise, on Comm Ave. Excellent food. I was pretty much always the only non-Asian person in there. I used to date a guy who was half-Korean and he took me. The food was terrific.
This space for rent.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:55:29 AM »
I have been reading a lot about N. Korea recently.  It must have been S. Korean food.  Looks like the N. Koreans don't have much food. Very sad.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 08:33:52 AM »
One of our fiends is Korean, and while I don't think she has ever cooked us anything, she always brings stuff from Korean eateries and markets.  I've become a huge fan! 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »
I have been reading a lot about N. Korea recently.  It must have been S. Korean food.  Looks like the N. Koreans don't have much food. Very sad.

That is very sad, Ice Cream.  There is so much poverty and hunger in this world that it's hard to wrap the mind around it.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »
I love Korean food.

1.  it's up there in my small group of faves.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »
It must have been S. Korean food.  Looks like the N. Koreans don't have much food.

huh, what a strange thing to say.

anyway, I love Korean food too.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »
My sister served a mission in Korea, and took me to a Korean restaurant in Oakland when she got back.  The servers there were not expecting her to speak Korean to them!  The food was good, but I just can't do the kimchi. 

Offline ihop

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
Love Korean food!  I found out there is a little restaurant down the street that has stone bowls and bulgogi.  I can't wait to try it!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
The desserts are really good as well.  Walnut cakes and the brown sugar pancakes are the best things ever. 
Because PANTS

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 04:07:37 PM »
We just went to a Korean restaurant for the first time last Week, and I liked it so much we went back this weekend. I liked the bibimbap.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »
I know about North Korea's famine problem.
In fact, I know it all too well.

I still find your response strange.

It must've been South Korean food, because North Koreans don't have much food?

Yeah, I don't follow your logic.

But hey, that's okay.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
The desserts are really good as well.  Walnut cakes and the brown sugar pancakes are the best things ever. 

:-*

I miss being able to get korean food.  I need some good recipes for stuff I can do at home.  (hint, mango)  My gf is headed to Toronto next month, and kimchee is on my list of requests for stuff to bring home.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
I need some good recipes for stuff I can do at home.  (hint, mango)

sigh, how I wish I could help, but alas, I'm a terrible cook who dislikes cooking and therefore, rarely cooks anything, much less Korean food.

still, if you're looking for any particular kinds of recipes, let me know and I'll help peruse Korean recipe sites.

meantime, these are for you, and onawhim:

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »
sigh, how I wish I could help, but alas, I'm a terrible cook who dislikes cooking and therefore, rarely cooks anything, much less Korean food.

still, if you're looking for any particular kinds of recipes, let me know and I'll help peruse Korean recipe sites.

meantime, these are for you, and onawhim:

:eats:

alright then, when I decide what I want to cook, I'm going to ask you to read the recipe and tell me if it sounds right.  :)

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »
I have made this:

http://www.steamykitchen.com/180-korean-glass-noodles-jap-chae.html

Love glass noodles.  I walk right by a korean grocery on my way home so I buy the bibimbap kits sometimes which probably does not help you much.   After this thread I looked up a recipe to make the brown sugar pancakes but I have not had a chance to try them yet.  I also walk by a walnut cake place  :D
Because PANTS

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »
I have made this:

http://www.steamykitchen.com/180-korean-glass-noodles-jap-chae.html

Love glass noodles.  I walk right by a korean grocery on my way home so I buy the bibimbap kits sometimes which probably does not help you much.   After this thread I looked up a recipe to make the brown sugar pancakes but I have not had a chance to try them yet.  I also walk by a walnut cake place  :D

:heartbeat:

I love glass noodles too! One of my favoritest foods.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
I love glass noodles.  In Thai restaurants you can get pad woon sen...which I now want.

Offline clubhouserunner

• Pubescent
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
We went with some friends and OMG was it delicious.  We started with a vegetable scallion pancake that I tasted just a bit of but was fantastic.  Then we all had stone bowls.  I think the name for the beef version was bulgogi; I had the vegetable + tofu version.  It was outrageously good with a really tasty sauce and some different salads alongside.  The veg part was good but the crispy rice on the bottom of the bowl was fantastic.  (downside was I didn't leave any behind, as I usually would).

Adn I never knew that I liked kimchee!  I've tasted so many different regions' cuisines and never had this.  I want to go back tomorrow.  :d

I had the exact same thing last weekend in South San Fran. Except we also had the bbq beef ribs and fried chicken wings. I went here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/moms-tofu-house-south-san-francisco

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »
Nice!

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 05:59:24 AM »
I agree with the bibimbap....when I was living in Siberia I used to have this at least once a week.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

+-SUPPORT US