Author Topic: Dairy Free Thread  (Read 31815 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Dairy Free Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Nah, once you get used to dairy free it is easy.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
I'm sure its easy from a habit standpoint, and I look forward to getting there.  But my favorite ice cream will be tough to sacrifice, even if I find an "almost" equivalent. :)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:30 PM »
I'm sure its easy from a habit standpoint, and I look forward to getting there.  But my favorite ice cream will be tough to sacrifice, even if I find an "almost" equivalent. :)
Have you tried any coconut based iced creams yet?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2013, 08:44:11 AM »
Not yet.  I'm still focusing in finding foods I already eat that will still be acceptable.  Mostly because the only thing I know for sure is that manipulating my diet can make me feel better.  It may be the increase in beans & nuts, not the lack of dairy.  There's also still SOMETHING left that's irritating me, and I need to sort that out.

The hardest thing to get over is the assumption that I can eat what I want.  I'm sure you're used to it, but the surprises are what bother me most of all.  Like I was gonna get chili from the cafeteria for lunch, which I normally eat with a cornbread muffin, which I realized is made with butter.  It took the wind out of the sails for the whole meal.  Worse things have happened to better people, but the little "dammit" moments are irritating.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »
it gets easier, i promise. :) and i make my own cornbread :) See, bring your own food, you know the ingredients AND it is cheaper!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »
Not yet.  I'm still focusing in finding foods I already eat that will still be acceptable.  Mostly because the only thing I know for sure is that manipulating my diet can make me feel better.  It may be the increase in beans & nuts, not the lack of dairy.  There's also still SOMETHING left that's irritating me, and I need to sort that out.

The hardest thing to get over is the assumption that I can eat what I want.  I'm sure you're used to it, but the surprises are what bother me most of all.  Like I was gonna get chili from the cafeteria for lunch, which I normally eat with a cornbread muffin, which I realized is made with butter.  It took the wind out of the sails for the whole meal.  Worse things have happened to better people, but the little "dammit" moments are irritating.

Maybe it does not have to be all or nothing?  Cut out yogurt, milk, butter, etc., but stuff like muffins, where it is not visible and a large percentage you could keep in the diet for now, and then reevaluate in 6 months?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »
I agree.  If dairy has been a regular part of your diet/life, going cold turkey is a pretty good way to set yourself up for "failure."
I agree, but at the same time, if she is excluding it to determine an allergy/sensitivity, it needs to be completely eliminated atleast for a short while (i would say a month) to determine if there is an allergy.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
Re: Re: Dairy Free Thread
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
I agree, but at the same time, if she is excluding it to determine an allergy/sensitivity, it needs to be completely eliminated atleast for a short while (i would say a month) to determine if there is an allergy.

That's exactly what my Dr said.

I guess most people end up tolerating butter without problems, and even yogurt.  I think I'm noticing a problem with refined flour, though, too.

Right now, my plan would be to still eat even the hardest-to-digest foods on occasion.  But now my reactions are tolerable, and I hear that might change once I'm no longer in the habit of eating them.

Mosty, right now:
1) I was really not conscious of what I was putting in my mouth, even when strictly counting calories.  I find this intellectually interesting
2) I am mourning the loss of food convenience, which apparently I felt very entitled to have in my life.

It's all an experiment at this point.  And generally an interesting one, even if I do occasionally turn into a petulant child :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »
Some people are ok with things like yogurts but not other dairy products. Once you are ready to rotate foods back in, do one dairy product at a time to see which are the offenders.

I have been working on my cashew cheezes and made a new batch of cheddar this weekend for DD's quesadillas and she approved, she liked this one way better than the others. It was the same recipe as before but HALF the lemon juice. I made a half batch.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »

Yeah, I missed that part. :)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 09:06:59 AM »

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
That's exactly what my Dr said.

I guess most people end up tolerating butter without problems, and even yogurt.  I think I'm noticing a problem with refined flour, though, too.

Right now, my plan would be to still eat even the hardest-to-digest foods on occasion.  But now my reactions are tolerable, and I hear that might change once I'm no longer in the habit of eating them.

Mosty, right now:
1) I was really not conscious of what I was putting in my mouth, even when strictly counting calories.  I find this intellectually interesting
2) I am mourning the loss of food convenience, which apparently I felt very entitled to have in my life.

It's all an experiment at this point.  And generally an interesting one, even if I do occasionally turn into a petulant child :D

The bolded part is a big barrier for me, with a lot of dietary changes.  I'm not sure what it says about me, but I know it's an issue. 

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
Re: Re: Dairy Free Thread
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
The bolded part is a big barrier for me, with a lot of dietary changes.  I'm not sure what it says about me, but I know it's an issue.

I know!  I've been trying to sort through exactly why I'm so attached to the convenience factor.  The idea of not being able to find something to eat in a given situation really freaks me out.  But why?  It's not like I'm at any true risk of starvation. Totally bogus.

I think it may be social anxiety; I'm afraid to stand out in "that way.". But again, why?

I feel like I have this little kid inside me, crossing his arms and stamping his feet that he can eat whatever he wants, and that I'm a poopyhead.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 05:48:38 PM »
Heh, yep.  The little kid analogy rings true :D

I think part of my issue is that I'm lazy about cooking.  I don't want to have to spend my time that way every day.  Woe is me, right?  Another piece is that DH and I really enjoy eating out, so it's a form of entertainment as well as time he and I basically spend where we have to talk, etc.  It's nice. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
I make most of my food for the week on my day off and have everything prepackaged and ready to take to work or out for bfast/dinner. You will get over the convenience issue, it will get easier. It is also so much healthier and cheaper to make it from scratch!

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
I'm kinda afraid to experiment with dairy again in a week.  Anyone who has re-introduced foods, I'd love to hear from you.

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »
Soy milk gives my gut fits.
I've switched to vanilla almond...toggle back and forth between sweetened and unsweetened.
Soy, however, is like sugar and gluten:  found in SO many foods we eat.
Label reading is always an adventure.
 :panic:
On, Wisconsin

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »
Soy is like poison to my poor gi system. I have been using almond mill lately.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »
I'm kinda afraid to experiment with dairy again in a week.  Anyone who has re-introduced foods, I'd love to hear from you.

No personal experience, but if I were in your shoes I'd start with some lactose-free milk.  That way you can figure out if your issues were milk protein related or lactose issues.  If it's lactose, that's an easy one to cut out without completely swearing off dairy.  The next thing I'd reintroduce would be either cheese or yogurt, whichever you missed more. 

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2013, 10:35:07 PM »
Thanks!

+-SUPPORT US