Author Topic: Dairy Free Thread  (Read 31819 times)

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
Dairy Free Thread
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »
I'm dairy free for February. 

I welcome any and all wisdom, tips, etc that you all might have to offer.  But honestly, I know this will probably be me talking to myself in a very self-indulgent thread.  But that's less annoying than 14 mini-threads.

Right now, DH is eating a bowl of cereal & I'm hating my life.  I know I need to try Silk or something, but right now I'm annoyed at all the changes I'm going to have to make.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Re: Dairy Free Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
I like rice milk on cereal.  Also for a treat, get a soy chai latte at the coffee shop.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »
I'm hesitant to try too many substitute foods at this point.  If it turns out that dairy is in fact the culprit behind my health issues, I'll absolutely try them.  At this point, though, I would hate to mask a dairy sensitivity because I also have problems with soy, or something.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »
I am dairy free. I do not drink any milk, ever, except maybe chocolate almond milk during a race. i posted elsewhere about the cashew cheeses and they are super easy and yummy. Coconut milk ice cream is really good and So Delicious brand makes a coconut greek yogurt that is not bad.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
I have been cutting down but I just cannot give up cheese. I bought coconut milk and coconut milk ice cream.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 01:00:14 PM »
Coconut ice cream sounds delicious.

Right now its just about the pain of habit-breaking.  I know this is doable, but breaking autopilot so often is just annoying.

In the past, I've given up when I didn't realize things like chocolate and pesto contain dairy.

Hopefully I'll eventually be able to work butter back in.  Popcorn with real butter is one of my absolute favorite foods.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »
I like the coconut milk that comes in a tetra Pak. Make sure you get plsin/unsweetened though!

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
My only exposure to almond milk is Almond Breeze Vanilla, I meant to buy the unsweetened but got the sweetened kind instead.  It's too sweet for me, so next time I buy it I'll get the unsweetened variety.  I think if you can find a milk sub that you like, that will make things easier.  I think that when I really start getting serious about eating clean, I'm going to tell kenyan that he has to keep his junk food out of the house--at least the stuff that's temping to me.  Would your DH be ok with keeping stuff like ice cream and cheese out of the house this month?

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
No.  But he is being understanding about what we can eat together, so I'll take it.

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
My only exposure to almond milk is Almond Breeze Vanilla, I meant to buy the unsweetened but got the sweetened kind instead.  It's too sweet for me, so next time I buy it I'll get the unsweetened variety.  I think if you can find a milk sub that you like, that will make things easier.  I think that when I really start getting serious about eating clean, I'm going to tell kenyan that he has to keep his junk food out of the house--at least the stuff that's temping to me.  Would your DH be ok with keeping stuff like ice cream and cheese out of the house this month?

I use the Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla on most cereals and think it's perfect. Not too sweet. No soy aftertaste.

Jamers: Do you ever eat almonds? If so, I wouldn't be concerned about switching to almond milk.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
i typically keep a container of so delicious coconut milk in the house for oatmeal, vegan cooking, etc.  that stuff is pretty good on cereal.  and in coffee ('though you will have to kill me to take my half and half away.  really).

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »
The earth balance buttery spread tastes pretty darn close to butter, imo
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 06:22:43 PM »
I like the powdered soy milk that I get at the Asian supermarket.  I only use it with cereal, and it is so easy to pack and take along as a snack.  Just add some water, and voila...  a healthy snack.

I usually carry a spoon in my pocket book, and I just pack a cup of cold cereal in a tupperware, along with the  powdered milk.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
I have never had powdered any kind of milk. interesting. i eat cereal dry, have done that my whole life, we did not drink milk growing up.

I have found in the recent year or two, so many dairy free options/recipes/resources with the popularity of Forks over Knives. It is so much easier now to be dairy free than it was 10 years ago. I do not buy fake cheezes, but have been making my own. I never even heard of cashew cheeze until last year and never heard of nutritional yeast until a few years ago.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »
I can understand not wanting to add soy if you are trying to figure out what is causing digestive issues. Soy is one of the biggest culprits.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »
If you don't want to deal with substitutes like soy milk, etc., keeping thing simple is one way to go - the meal I just prepared was dairy-free and it was awesome. You can easily do grilled or roasted chicken (or pork, beef, etc.) and then roasted veggies of all kinds. Very flavorful, and no need for butter or anything. Just toss the veggies in olive oil before cooking.
This space for rent.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
ALL my meals are dairy free :D If you are on pinterest, follow me!

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Dairy Free Thread
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »
This is probably more work than you want, but you can make some really delicious almond or cashew milks for scratch.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 07:19:12 AM »
I have never had powdered any kind of milk. interesting. i eat cereal dry, have done that my whole life, we did not drink milk growing up.

I have found in the recent year or two, so many dairy free options/recipes/resources with the popularity of Forks over Knives. It is so much easier now to be dairy free than it was 10 years ago. I do not buy fake cheezes, but have been making my own. I never even heard of cashew cheeze until last year and never heard of nutritional yeast until a few years ago.

I just looked up cashew cheese.  All those calories...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 07:23:15 AM »
I just looked up cashew cheese.  All those calories...
If you eat it in moderation, it is not that bad. I mix about 1 tsp in brown rice for DD for lunch with some peas and broccoli, she loves it!

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »
i typically keep a container of so delicious coconut milk in the house for oatmeal, vegan cooking, etc.  that stuff is pretty good on cereal.  and in coffee ('though you will have to kill me to take my half and half away.  really).

I tried coconut milk, but was disappointed that it tasted like coconut.  :D 

Not a fan! 

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
    • Michael Bartmon Computer Services
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »
Thread is no longer "dairy free" :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"They will have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers."

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »
I tried coconut milk on my cereal today and it was kind of gross.

But it  is good in smoothies and I apparently can make pudding with it so I think I will just skip cereal.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »
I never have drinken coconut milk, just rice and almond and soy, but i know you have a soy allergy, MM. To me, i think the plain unsweetened silk organic tastes the closest to milk, but don't take my word for it, i have never drinken a cup of milk in my life :D

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »
I tried coconut milk on my cereal today and it was kind of gross.

But it  is good in smoothies and I apparently can make pudding with it so I think I will just skip cereal.

And I saw something on a paleo site about making whipped cream with it too! Woo hoo!

http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2012/10/chocolate-paleo-pudding-with-coconut-whip-cream/
This space for rent.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
Pudding sounds great!

I'm definitely reacting, but its hard to say whether it's because of the lack of dairy, or a displacement effect.

Anywho, definitely missing my protein, but hanging in there otherwise.  Nuts, peanut butter, beans, & poultry.  I'm probably.getting enough, just not as much as before.  Once I realized the protien-mood connection I went overboard, and dairy protein was my fave.

It's almost impossible to eat in a mainstream restaurant.  Butter, butter, butter.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 08:05:56 AM »
THIN MINTS ARE DAIRY FREE.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 08:10:50 AM »
 :D
This space for rent.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »
THIN MINTS ARE DAIRY FREE.
yes they are. I think there is another vegan GS cookies as my neighbor talked me into buying two vegan boxes of thin mints for DD  :eyeroll:

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
I never have drinken coconut milk, just rice and almond and soy, but i know you have a soy allergy, MM. To me, i think the plain unsweetened silk organic tastes the closest to milk, but don't take my word for it, i have never drinken a cup of milk in my life :D

Disagree!  Plain, unsweetened soy milk is nasty.  Cow's milk tastes way better IMO.

I got some unsweetened vanilla almond milk yesterday, Trader Joe's brand.  I'm a little disappointed that there's not really any protein in it, but it only has 40 cals per cup so I can get my protein elsewhere.  I think it will be good on cereals that are slightly sweet or that I put fruit with.  Some cereals I don't like with sweetened soy milk (Cheerios, raisin bran, and frosted mini wheats, for some reason) and I don't think that I'll like the vanilla almond milk on those either.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 11:03:49 AM »
Disagree!  Plain, unsweetened soy milk is nasty.  Cow's milk tastes way better IMO.

I got some unsweetened vanilla almond milk yesterday, Trader Joe's brand.  I'm a little disappointed that there's not really any protein in it, but it only has 40 cals per cup so I can get my protein elsewhere.  I think it will be good on cereals that are slightly sweet or that I put fruit with.  Some cereals I don't like with sweetened soy milk (Cheerios, raisin bran, and frosted mini wheats, for some reason) and I don't think that I'll like the vanilla almond milk on those either.

I agree with this. I do not like soy milk. It has a gross taste to me. I do like the flavor of tofu, edamame, and lots of other soy products. But dislike soymilk. Blech.

I also agree that most other milk substitutes do not have much in the way of nutritionals. I basically look at them as a cereal delivery system (I use milk when I bake). So, almond milk and coconut milk have a reasonably low calorie count and I don't worry too much about it. But, you can't really count on them as providing any meaningful nutrition.

Offline Shadow38

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »
Just wanted  to say I am really happy to see this thread. I'm experimenting and decided to cut out dairy for a month and see how it goes.

Replaced my regular milk in coffee with almond milk. First I tried the regular vanilla. YUCK. Too sweet. Then tried regular, which isn't horrible, but still too sweet. I'll have to get some unsweetened.

I'm really missing butter. It's only been a couple of days, but I need to figure out different ways to cook vegetables.

I'm sure this weekend I'll be missing cheese, as one of my favorite weekend breakfasts is scrambled eggs with cheese and chicken sausage.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »
Shadow, try olive oil and garlic. Just about any veggie seems to love that combo. :)

Offline Shadow38

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »
Shadow, try olive oil and garlic. Just about any veggie seems to love that combo. :)

Thanks!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
Nadra-- that is because you have drinken milk your whole life. I never drank milk and to me, they taste the same :D both gross :D :D :D

As far as butter, i like the Earth Balance whipped spread. No trans fat, closest thing to butter i have tried. This is the regular, but i prefer the "whipped" one

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »
Shadow, I agree that butter is the most difficult.  I can make my peace with cheese & milk, but butter is sneaky and has me forgoing things I didn't expect.

I'm opting for black coffee with cinnamon.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »
What is your reason for giving up dairy?  If it ends up being a long-term thing you do because you don't tolerate milk protein and/or lactose, you might consider making ghee, where you melt the butter and skim off the milk solids so you're just left with the fat. You still have the butter taste, but none of the protein or lactose.  It's easier to do a bit batch at one time (like a pound of butter) and keeping it in the fridge so you can use it as needed for veggies, popcorn, or salmon.  I think you can buy it too, but I don't know what the cost comparison is to butter.  It's not that hard to make though.  Obviously if you're doing it for ethical reasons this wouldn't work, but if you're still eating meat then my guess is that's not the reason.

CSuzette would be so proud.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
Try the Earth Balance Buttery spread!

Nadra-- i cannot believe you summoned the iconic csuzette :D Every time i see Ghee in the store i think of her.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »
For me, it's about abdominal pain and digestive issues.  Plus I realized that I eat WAAAY more dairy than the average bear, and want to know how it's affecting me.

I'll definitely experiment with substitutions and such once I know I actually have an issue.   But I guess I'm still hoping that I WON'T need to go dairy-free long term, or that I'll at least be able to narrow it down to certian types (I've read that some people can tolerate yogurt and/or butter, but not milk or cheese, for example) and find subs for only the products I have trouble with.

I'm also reasonably confident that there's at least one big "oops" in my life at the moment that I'm not realizing contains dairy.  I'll work to root those out in the coming weeks... but for now, I'm celebrating the success I've had so far.

The biggest challenge will be isolating variables.  Since going dairy free I've been big on nuts, veggies, & beans.  And--surprise!--my digestion is better.  But I can't be sure just yet whether it's the lack of dairy or the addition of the good stuff that's causing the change.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »
Plus I realized that I eat WAAAY more dairy than the average bear, and want to know how it's affecting me.

Bears eat dairy?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »
Nadra-- that is because you have drinken milk your whole life. I never drank milk and to me, they taste the same :D both gross :D :D :D

I would never have thinken.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 12:06:58 PM »
the past participle of 'drink' is 'drunk'. 

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
Bears eat dairy?

bears eat anything they can get close enough to

they are certainly milk drinkers as cubs, and IME, milk, yogurt and cheese are among the first things they go for when rifling through coolers left out in campgrounds... they are up in the preferred human-associated foods along with fish, chocolate and peanut butter...

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
bears eat anything they can get close enough to

rifling through coolers left out in campgrounds...

They even ate our paper towels so I doubt dairy is going to slow them down much  :D
Because PANTS

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »
For me, it's about abdominal pain and digestive issues.  Plus I realized that I eat WAAAY more dairy than the average bear, and want to know how it's affecting me.

How much does the average bear eat dairy? I probably have you beat. I would eat cheese at every meal if I could get away with it.  :D

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
They even ate our paper towels so I doubt dairy is going to slow them down much  :D

I have seen disposable diapers in bear poop.

Just as I was typing that, it occurred to me that I never checked that poop for evidence of a baby... just assumed it was a discarded diaper that was eaten...  :-\

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 01:16:40 PM »
Meri would call that throwing out the baby with the Badwater. 

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »
I have seen disposable diapers in bear poop.

Just as I was typing that, it occurred to me that I never checked that poop for evidence of a baby... just assumed it was a discarded diaper that was eaten...  :-\

:D
Because PANTS

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »
One week down, 3 to go.  Feeling great, & only one minor slipup.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »
nice work Jamers!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 06:11:55 PM »
Something I ate this weekend still hurts.  I think it was the diet coke.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:59 PM »
Something I ate this weekend still hurts.  I think it was the diet coke.

So I went to bowel health class today....exciting I know and they taught us a bunch of the triggers for IBS. Diet soda was one, so was sugar free gum (because of the sugar alcohols), broccoli, onion, garlic, and beans. Also they couldn't stop stressing eating more fiber. Apparently have a normally formed stool is the key to getting rid of gas, pain, and bloating.

They also pointed out that depression and anxiety are highly correlated with IBS...which I didnt know.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 10:37:58 PM »
Interesting. I've known for a long time that sugar alcohols don't work for me.

Onions could also be a culprit.

I'm inclined to think digestive probs may be linked to mental health concerns, probably via nutrition.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2013, 06:56:01 AM »
There are probably a million reasons NOT to drink diet coke ;) I used to be a diet soda junkie and then about 8 years ago i looked at the ingredients and was like, wtf? i am so picky about what i eat, but here is a can of chemicals?

Yes, stress is definitely a HUGE trigger for IBS and I see A LOT of stress induced IBS in my practice, as well as stress induced headaches/migraines. Some people just seem to have their stress affect them differently, some people their tummies, some their heads. Also, hormones can play a role with constipation common prior to your period and diarrhea with your period. Fun times being a girl :D

When i was first nursing DD, broccoli and cabbage were the two big triggers for her tummy issues, as well as dairy. Dairy was easy because i never ate it, but the other two were harder!!!

Has anyone tried the cashew cheese yet??????? :D

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 06:56:13 AM »

They also pointed out that depression and anxiety are highly correlated with IBS...which I didnt know.

Yes, correlation but not causation.  And it's often a chicken and egg kind of thing.  The biggest GI practice in South Florida has a psychologist on staff for the IBS and IBD patients.  I always liked that.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »
Yes, correlation but not causation.  And it's often a chicken and egg kind of thing.  The biggest GI practice in South Florida has a psychologist on staff for the IBS and IBD patients.  I always liked that.

my GF had terrible IBS for several years.... when she was work crap jobs for shit money and wasn't appropriately respected... as soon as we bought the house and she quit her job, her IBS cleared up and she's never had problems since

[/anecdote]

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »
Actually, the fact that I'm (mostly) happy but still struggling is a big motivator to actually DO this.

Week two was easier, but I'm realizing that a lifetime would be super tough.

I'm less bloated than I've been in a long time even though I don't think I've dropped actual weight.  DH commented that my shoulders feel bonier than normal, for example.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Nah, once you get used to dairy free it is easy.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
I'm sure its easy from a habit standpoint, and I look forward to getting there.  But my favorite ice cream will be tough to sacrifice, even if I find an "almost" equivalent. :)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:30 PM »
I'm sure its easy from a habit standpoint, and I look forward to getting there.  But my favorite ice cream will be tough to sacrifice, even if I find an "almost" equivalent. :)
Have you tried any coconut based iced creams yet?

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2013, 08:44:11 AM »
Not yet.  I'm still focusing in finding foods I already eat that will still be acceptable.  Mostly because the only thing I know for sure is that manipulating my diet can make me feel better.  It may be the increase in beans & nuts, not the lack of dairy.  There's also still SOMETHING left that's irritating me, and I need to sort that out.

The hardest thing to get over is the assumption that I can eat what I want.  I'm sure you're used to it, but the surprises are what bother me most of all.  Like I was gonna get chili from the cafeteria for lunch, which I normally eat with a cornbread muffin, which I realized is made with butter.  It took the wind out of the sails for the whole meal.  Worse things have happened to better people, but the little "dammit" moments are irritating.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »
it gets easier, i promise. :) and i make my own cornbread :) See, bring your own food, you know the ingredients AND it is cheaper!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »
Not yet.  I'm still focusing in finding foods I already eat that will still be acceptable.  Mostly because the only thing I know for sure is that manipulating my diet can make me feel better.  It may be the increase in beans & nuts, not the lack of dairy.  There's also still SOMETHING left that's irritating me, and I need to sort that out.

The hardest thing to get over is the assumption that I can eat what I want.  I'm sure you're used to it, but the surprises are what bother me most of all.  Like I was gonna get chili from the cafeteria for lunch, which I normally eat with a cornbread muffin, which I realized is made with butter.  It took the wind out of the sails for the whole meal.  Worse things have happened to better people, but the little "dammit" moments are irritating.

Maybe it does not have to be all or nothing?  Cut out yogurt, milk, butter, etc., but stuff like muffins, where it is not visible and a large percentage you could keep in the diet for now, and then reevaluate in 6 months?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »
I agree.  If dairy has been a regular part of your diet/life, going cold turkey is a pretty good way to set yourself up for "failure."
I agree, but at the same time, if she is excluding it to determine an allergy/sensitivity, it needs to be completely eliminated atleast for a short while (i would say a month) to determine if there is an allergy.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
Re: Re: Dairy Free Thread
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
I agree, but at the same time, if she is excluding it to determine an allergy/sensitivity, it needs to be completely eliminated atleast for a short while (i would say a month) to determine if there is an allergy.

That's exactly what my Dr said.

I guess most people end up tolerating butter without problems, and even yogurt.  I think I'm noticing a problem with refined flour, though, too.

Right now, my plan would be to still eat even the hardest-to-digest foods on occasion.  But now my reactions are tolerable, and I hear that might change once I'm no longer in the habit of eating them.

Mosty, right now:
1) I was really not conscious of what I was putting in my mouth, even when strictly counting calories.  I find this intellectually interesting
2) I am mourning the loss of food convenience, which apparently I felt very entitled to have in my life.

It's all an experiment at this point.  And generally an interesting one, even if I do occasionally turn into a petulant child :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »
Some people are ok with things like yogurts but not other dairy products. Once you are ready to rotate foods back in, do one dairy product at a time to see which are the offenders.

I have been working on my cashew cheezes and made a new batch of cheddar this weekend for DD's quesadillas and she approved, she liked this one way better than the others. It was the same recipe as before but HALF the lemon juice. I made a half batch.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »

Yeah, I missed that part. :)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 09:06:59 AM »

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
That's exactly what my Dr said.

I guess most people end up tolerating butter without problems, and even yogurt.  I think I'm noticing a problem with refined flour, though, too.

Right now, my plan would be to still eat even the hardest-to-digest foods on occasion.  But now my reactions are tolerable, and I hear that might change once I'm no longer in the habit of eating them.

Mosty, right now:
1) I was really not conscious of what I was putting in my mouth, even when strictly counting calories.  I find this intellectually interesting
2) I am mourning the loss of food convenience, which apparently I felt very entitled to have in my life.

It's all an experiment at this point.  And generally an interesting one, even if I do occasionally turn into a petulant child :D

The bolded part is a big barrier for me, with a lot of dietary changes.  I'm not sure what it says about me, but I know it's an issue. 

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
Re: Re: Dairy Free Thread
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
The bolded part is a big barrier for me, with a lot of dietary changes.  I'm not sure what it says about me, but I know it's an issue.

I know!  I've been trying to sort through exactly why I'm so attached to the convenience factor.  The idea of not being able to find something to eat in a given situation really freaks me out.  But why?  It's not like I'm at any true risk of starvation. Totally bogus.

I think it may be social anxiety; I'm afraid to stand out in "that way.". But again, why?

I feel like I have this little kid inside me, crossing his arms and stamping his feet that he can eat whatever he wants, and that I'm a poopyhead.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 05:48:38 PM »
Heh, yep.  The little kid analogy rings true :D

I think part of my issue is that I'm lazy about cooking.  I don't want to have to spend my time that way every day.  Woe is me, right?  Another piece is that DH and I really enjoy eating out, so it's a form of entertainment as well as time he and I basically spend where we have to talk, etc.  It's nice. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
I make most of my food for the week on my day off and have everything prepackaged and ready to take to work or out for bfast/dinner. You will get over the convenience issue, it will get easier. It is also so much healthier and cheaper to make it from scratch!

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
I'm kinda afraid to experiment with dairy again in a week.  Anyone who has re-introduced foods, I'd love to hear from you.

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »
Soy milk gives my gut fits.
I've switched to vanilla almond...toggle back and forth between sweetened and unsweetened.
Soy, however, is like sugar and gluten:  found in SO many foods we eat.
Label reading is always an adventure.
 :panic:
On, Wisconsin

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »
Soy is like poison to my poor gi system. I have been using almond mill lately.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »
I'm kinda afraid to experiment with dairy again in a week.  Anyone who has re-introduced foods, I'd love to hear from you.

No personal experience, but if I were in your shoes I'd start with some lactose-free milk.  That way you can figure out if your issues were milk protein related or lactose issues.  If it's lactose, that's an easy one to cut out without completely swearing off dairy.  The next thing I'd reintroduce would be either cheese or yogurt, whichever you missed more. 

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2013, 10:35:07 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2013, 07:28:37 AM »
I saw some lactose free yogurt the other day in the grocery store...  I thought all yogurt was lactose free.  but maybe I was wrong. 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »
Jamers, I may have missed this, but the doc you are going to, is it a GI?  If it is just a PCP, I suggest going to a specialist. I only say this because my sister is having GI issues and refuses to see a GI.  So she has gone gluten free and is still GF even though all of her symptoms have not disappeared (to me that indicates that gluten isn't the issue.)  My concern is that there is some underlying issue that is NOT getting taken care of because she refuses to see someone who can/will order the proper tests. (I am not saying her PCP hasn't ordered tests, but she is stumped, so to me that means a specialist is the next step.) 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »
Jamers, I may have missed this, but the doc you are going to, is it a GI?  If it is just a PCP, I suggest going to a specialist. I only say this because my sister is having GI issues and refuses to see a GI.  So she has gone gluten free and is still GF even though all of her symptoms have not disappeared (to me that indicates that gluten isn't the issue.)  My concern is that there is some underlying issue that is NOT getting taken care of because she refuses to see someone who can/will order the proper tests. (I am not saying her PCP hasn't ordered tests, but she is stumped, so to me that means a specialist is the next step.) 

I was told in the  class I took because they see so many patients with ibs that they do a group class that gi docs generally will not work super hard and run all kinds of tests on someone with ibs symptoms because it isn't life threatening or even dangerous at all and is really just highly uncomfortable and the tests always come up negative. Bit that it is really common and you have to just play around with dietary changes until you find something that works. But maybe that is just my insurer.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »
I saw some lactose free yogurt the other day in the grocery store...  I thought all yogurt was lactose free.  but maybe I was wrong. 

The bacteria in regular yogurt breaks down a lot of the lactose in milk, but not all of it.  Same with hard cheeses.  Some people can handle yogurt, some who are more severely lactose intolerant can't.  The lactose-free yogurt is made with lactose-free milk, which I suspect is aimed at the more intolerant people but also likely to people who don't know that yogurt is lower in lactose than milk.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
I was told in the  class I took because they see so many patients with ibs that they do a group class that gi docs generally will not work super hard and run all kinds of tests on someone with ibs symptoms because it isn't life threatening or even dangerous at all and is really just highly uncomfortable and the tests always come up negative. Bit that it is really common and you have to just play around with dietary changes until you find something that works. But maybe that is just my insurer.

I have seen a GI for  a few things. I initially went to her for GERD issues, but ended up having IBS issues. I talked to her about what my sister was going through and my GI told me she would run specific tests (she would do an endoscopy to start) if my sister was her patient (my sister does not live  near me or I would make her see my doc.)  So maybe it depends on the GI doctor.  I am not saying that they wouldn't tell you to cut things eventually, but I feel a good doc could run SOME tests first.  But I would say if after you cut out different food groups, if you can't find something that helps, you need to see the specialist...and you will obviously be armed with the knowledge of what did and did not work.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2013, 12:28:36 PM »
My pcp wouldn't refer me to a gi doc....just the class so maybe she has kaiser too?

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »

It's also correlated with fibromyalgia (which incidentally is correlated with IBS).  Well, of course, if you hurt all the time or have unpredictable and/or uncomfortable tummy/bathroom issues, you're likely to get frustrated, anxious and depressed.  Like, DUH!  Although anxiety makes both "flare", so that one is liable to be on both ends of the equation.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »

Exactly this.

About 2 years ago during a bad flare-up, my PCP was dismissive, so I went above her head. I spent $4500 trying to get to the bottom of the situation.  TV ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound, MRIs, every blood test under the sun.... all negative.  So they deduced that it's "just"  IBS.  They also didn't think think that pooping just once a week was a problem.

Basically, I was told not to come back until I've gone a month each without dairy, wheat, and sugar to rule out sensitivities.  At the time, I tried but kept having honest "oopses" that discouraged me so badly that I didn't even want to keep trying.  Now, I'm sure if I came back they'd tell me it's PCOS all over again, and I'll have to go through the whole expensive nonsense all over again.

I'm not optimal, but I'm also not dying.  I'm not going to drop the $$$ just to be dismissed again.  So I'm going to do as much damn homework as I can on my own.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »
I was told in the  class I took because they see so many patients with ibs

I wonder why this is such a problem these days. Was it always a problem and just part of life, not something we went to the dr for, in previous generations? Or, is there a huge surge in the number of people with ibs, I wonder?

I have seen a GI for  a few things. I initially went to her for GERD issues, but ended up having IBS issues. I talked to her about what my sister was going through and my GI told me she would run specific tests (she would do an endoscopy to start) if my sister was her patient (my sister does not live  near me or I would make her see my doc.)  So maybe it depends on the GI doctor.  I am not saying that they wouldn't tell you to cut things eventually, but I feel a good doc could run SOME tests first.  But I would say if after you cut out different food groups, if you can't find something that helps, you need to see the specialist...and you will obviously be armed with the knowledge of what did and did not work.

... honestly,I think this is part of why our system is so broken and why we all now suffer with high deductible insurance plans. If one suspects ibs, it's much cheaper to try to treat it as ibs and see if that can be resolved. I think these days they have a pretty good handle on the differences between ibs and other, dangerous stuff, and spending thousands of dollars in tests to confirm a diagnosis that can be confirmed for free, seems ludicrous. I'll use another example here, when I sprained my ankle- they performed the test that involves touching two spots on your ankle that will confirm it's not broken almost 100% of the time, but they wanted (unecessary) x-rays to confirm.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2013, 02:16:03 PM »
I wonder why this is such a problem these days. Was it always a problem and just part of life, not something we went to the dr for, in previous generations? Or, is there a huge surge in the number of people with ibs, I wonder?

I don't really know.

But you hear people referring to dyspepsia in old movies and books all the time so I suspect it isn't a new issue at all.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2013, 04:07:36 PM »
Jamers...that is ridiculous and sucks.  I am very glad I have the insurance I have. 

IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, there are not definitive tests for it.  I have IBS.  I have found eating lots of soluble fiber really helps and avoiding insoluble fiber also helps. Of if I am having a lot of insoluble fiber, that I also eat a decent amount of soluble or some sort of acidic food (think balsamic vinegar or a vinegar based dressing.)  I am fortunate that my issues are not made worse by dairy or any "whole" food group (there are certain veggies I cannot eat, but not ALL veggies.)  As I said, my sister has similar issues and personally I do not think she has a gluten intolerance since her symptoms have not completely disappeared and she has been GF since August (neither of us think it is celiac.) 

Good luck on your food journey. Hope you find some answers.

+-SUPPORT US