Author Topic: Soups, pastas, etc without tomatoes - help!  (Read 11032 times)

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
Soups, pastas, etc without tomatoes - help!
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:28:43 PM »
So I had some allergy testing done recently.  And in addition to being allergic to all of the great outdoors and my pets, I am allergic to tomatoes, and to a lesser degree dairy, casein (a dairy protein), soy, and corn.   :pissed:

So my doctor has me trying an elimination diet, removing one thing at a time to see if I show any improvement in symptoms.  So for the next 5-10 days, I'm going tomato free. 

And, as it turns out, tomato is something I eat every day.  Whether that is in the form of ketchup (my condiment of choice), spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, salsa, on sandwiches, salads, blah blah. 

I need some ideas for some healthy-ish soups or pastas that do not use tomato.  I'm having company this weekend, and all of the things I normally make for a big group use tomatoes (lasagna, spaghetti, chili).   :( 

Plus, I would like to make some foods this week that are tasty, healthy, and contain no tomatoes.  I'm kind of at a loss for what to fix now that I'm not going to include tomatoes.  I didn't realize how much of it I ate!!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
Re: Soups, pastas, etc without tomatoes - help!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »
as much as it may seem impossible, you'll find lots of alternatives. 

for instance, you can make a pasta sauce with lots of different things.  we have been using a squash/bell pepper sauce lately, and it's great.

and as far as your guests are concerned: make a mushroom lasagna with no tomato, just bechamel, if you want lasagna.  or baked macaroni and cheese.  or chicken and dumplings.  or a roast and veggies.  or chicken and rice.  or stuffed squash.  or beef stroganoff.

soup: avgolemono, italian wedding soup, chicken noodle, lentil, bean, carrot and rice, etc., etc., etc.

oh, oh!  pesto.  mr. 'poo makes asparagus and arugula types, in addition to the traditional basil.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:06:30 PM by witchypoo »

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »
Are you also trying to avoid dairy? That would make it a bit harder to come up with pasta sauces...everything I can think of has a little bit of cream or cheese.

I'm thinking chicken broth or pureed potato types of soups...any pureed squash soups, or black bean soups could work? I love a simple meat tortellini in chicken broth, or a nice chicken and rice soup or something.

ETA...if dairy is ok, I've always been curious about this sauce: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/03/pasta-with-roasted-red-pepper-sauce-groan/ It looks hearty like a tomato sauce, but with roasted red peppers instead.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:49:18 PM by cgraz »
This space for rent.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »
cgraz, right now I'm eliminating one thing at a time, so dairy is ok for now. 

What is bechamel, witchy? 

I am definitely going to try out a mac & cheese recipe, maybe I'll do that as part of what I fix this weekend...  I was thinking of doing a roast with veggies, but I use tomatoes in my roast, so I don't know what to do now!  :D 

Witchy, what do you do to make a squash/bell pepper sauce?  How does that work?  DH isn't a fan of many cooked veggies, sadly.  But if it is pureed somehow, it might now seem so "veggie" filled. 

I've never had pesto...  I'll have to google it, too!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »
What is bechamel, witchy? 

bechamel is a french white sauce, and is the base sauce for oh-so many wonderful things, including, but not limited to, lasagna, sandwiches, mac and cheese, pastitsio, moussaka...

melt 1/4 c butter or oil in a sauce pan over med heat
add 1/4 c flour and whisk to combine
lower the heat
add 2 c milk, constantly stirring
allow to thicken

if you're making lasagna, add nutmeg (and cheese if you want)
if you're making mac and cheese, add dry mustard (if you want) and cheese
if you're making a sauce for veggies, add a lot of sweated onions

Witchy, what do you do to make a squash/bell pepper sauce?  How does that work?  DH isn't a fan of many cooked veggies, sadly.  But if it is pureed somehow, it might now seem so "veggie" filled. 

roast a butternut squash, cool, scoop out of skins
saute 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 a minced onion, and 1 chopped bell pepper in some olive oil
add herbs to taste (oregano, marjoram, basil, etc., whatever you want)
add the squash, heat through
process in a blender with some chicken broth or milk to get the right consistency
add some shredded parm, if you want

done.

I've never had pesto...  I'll have to google it, too!

pesto is delicious.  i mix it with mayo and spread it on my sandwiches (so, ya know, you could do that instead of using ketchup, too)

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:05:34 PM »
Would you like to come cook for me for the duration of the 5-10 days?  I don't pay very well, but I promise to be witty and provide wine. 

:D

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
Would you like to come cook for me for the duration of the 5-10 days?  I don't pay very well, but I promise to be witty and provide wine. 

:D

yes!

but i have to WORK.   >:(

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Onward through the fog...
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »
a chicken and hatch chile type of stew...

a real Texas chili doesn't really have tomatoes in it...

a creamy garlic pizza sauce...

you can do a lot with witchy's sauces...
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
One of my favorite pastas:

Sautee up some diced red peppers and onions with some garlic.  Add some mushrooms if you want.  When the veggies are done to your liking, add some chicken broth, maybe half a cup?  Mix about a teaspoon or so of cornstarch with some cold water and use that to thicken up the sauce.  Sometimes I throw a little powdered milk in with this water to make it a little more cream-like, but you could also just use milk or half and half if you had that around.  Serve with pasta (corkscrew or penne work best, I think)  Top with shredded parmesan.  This dish is good with some diced chicken or shrimp, but if I'm putting shrimp in it I leave out the mushrooms.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »
Yep- pesto and white sauce are great alternatives to tomato (although lots of extra fat in both- which is no necessarily a bad thing, and I'm sure you're already aware).

One of my favorite pasta dishes is linguinni with carmelized onions, pancetta (I leave this out because I'm veg), and broccoli rabbe (If I can't find it I use a bunch of broccolini and a bunch of mustard greens) sauteed in olive oil with LOTS of garlic and some red pepper flakes if you like. I serve it with grated parm reg (the good stuff!) or ricotta salata (which is a salty/hard cheese).

I have also been diggin' this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/photo/Roasted-Garbanzo-Beans-and-Garlic-with-Swiss-Chard-241110  I serve it over pasta and toss in a veggie sausage (but you could use a real one). Sometimes I add delicata squash and/or sweet potato and cauliflower to the roasting pan. Yum! I usually serve with something like bowties.

Pesto, peas (frozen, I throw them in as I'm about to drain the tortellini and they thaw as the pasta drains), canned artichoke hearts and cheese tortellini. Yummy hot or cold.

A variety of veggies sauteed with garlic (zuchinni & yellow squash, brocoli (or asparagus) + fresh corn is my go-to mix).

Shapped pasta tossed with:

- brown butter & sage + roasted (or steamed) sweet potato or squash

- broccoli sauteed with lots of garlic and red pepper flakes, chicken prepared however you like (sauteed, a roaster from the store shredded, poached, whatever) and then tossed with white sauce or just olive oil and good parm. Could also make this with shrimp.

- parmesan, chopped kalmata olives, artichoke hearts & capers and feta or chevre. (we love salty/briny!)

- asparagus (or spinach) sauteed with lots of garlic, lemon and shallos. Cheese (chevre, feta, parm are all great) if you like. You can add chickpeas or cannelini to this. I like to make my own- but canned is ok too.

I love this recipe for cannelini beans- I double it and freeze them in 2 cup quantities with some of the cooking liquid- which is flavorful and delcious! http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2009/10/cannellini_beans_with_garlic_and_sage  I often serve them with a shaped pasta, garlicky sauteed greens (kale, chard or mustard are my fav) and a veggie sausage and cheese. MMMMMMMM

Unless you're making tomato soup, I'd just leave out the tomato in the recipe. You can add more liquid (stock) if you like.

This pizza is friggin amazing! (if you around people who like greens :D) http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/kitchen-assistant/easy-homemade-pizza-recipes-00400000062188/page2.html

I love enchiladas for a crowd and I don't think the enchilada sauce I buy has tomatoes in it (but I could be wrong).

Or a build-your-own taco or fajita bar.

Or you could roast a whole chicken over a bed of veggies- super easy and homey for this time of year. Carrots, potatoes, onions & garlic- doesn't have to get any fancier than that. Rub the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. You CAN get fancier- but that will be amazing all on its own.

Or stroganoff.

You can still do a lasagna- do it with white sauce. Mix it up and go with white sauce, sweet potato(or squash) and hazlenuts:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Butternut-Squash-and-Hazelnut-Lasagne-105911

White chili?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »
Not sure how big of a crowd but other things I've done for bigger groups:
Pot pies
Quiche (it's easy! really!)
Crepes (very fun, but a pita!)
(a few more will probably come to me)

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 10:05:54 PM »
tomatillos are related to tomatoes right?...I guess you could make a green enchilada sauce from green chiles, onions, broth, etc...

and a good texmex enchilada gravy doesn't have tomato either...

oh, and a real cajun gumbo doesn't have tomato...
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »
actually, tomatillos are closer to gooseberries than tomatoes. different genus.

i make enchiladas with diced chix thighs, green chile, sauteed onions, peppers (both orange and yellow bells), and some zucchini. then i add cumin, oregano, cilantro, and mix it all up. stack layers of tortilla, cheese, and chix stuff, and bake. no tomatoes necessary.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 10:15:50 PM »
and, oh, do i love broccoli rabe. i am going to use all of run amok"s recipes.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »
Are you able to eat other nightshade veggies? It seems like people who avoid tomatoes often also avoid peppers, potatoes, tomatillos, eggplants, and maybe a few others.

More soup ideas:
lentil (can any/all of the following: kale, sausage, barley or brown rice, potato)
potato leek
french onion
white pasta fagiole
ribolita (bread and bean soup)

and, oh, do i love broccoli rabe. i am going to use all of run amok"s recipes.

:D I always get the sense that you and I would get along amazingly well in the kitchen (ok,so probably any time).

Offline twrunner

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
  • The Limpers
    • Training on Empty
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 11:09:33 PM »
Pasta ideas:
Pesto
Olive oil and a ton of herbs and spices
Butter, garlic, white pepper, salt a bit of cream and sprinkle with cheese. Add a bit of oregano or basil on top
Hummus and pasta is pretty good, believe it or not
Grilled salmon or chicken with a white sauce

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »
You have inspired me to never be tested for food allergies.  ;)

My man wont eat tomatoes so I stopped putting them in stuff. It really is not bad. I love, love, love pesto on pizza or on pasta.....way better than tomato sauce.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40:56 AM »
I like olive oil, spinach, basil, chickpeas and salt for my pasta if no sauce. Yum. otherwise, all the other suggestions have been given. i have seen pasta red sauce recipes on line without tomatoes, using red peppers.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 09:11:03 AM »
You could also maybe do romesco(I'm spelling this wrong but it's preecoffethirty and im on my cell)- which is roasted peppers and nuts. Not a fan myself but lots of people are.

Chicken and noodles? There is a recipe floating around that people are loving.

Pot roast?

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »
Are you able to eat other nightshade veggies? It seems like people who avoid tomatoes often also avoid peppers, potatoes, tomatillos, eggplants, and maybe a few others.

More soup ideas:
lentil (can any/all of the following: kale, sausage, barley or brown rice, potato)
potato leek
french onion
white pasta fagiole
ribolita (bread and bean soup)

:D I always get the sense that you and I would get along amazingly well in the kitchen (ok,so probably any time).

For now I'm only worried about tomatoes...   

Thanks for the ideas, y'all!  I'm perusing! 

Tonight I'm going simple -steak, baked potatoes, and roasted veggies.  No ketchup for my steak, but I hear that is practically a sin anyway.  :D

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 01:10:21 AM »
it is a sin.

try worcestershire.

Offline twrunner

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
  • The Limpers
    • Training on Empty
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 01:28:47 AM »
it is a sin.

try worcestershire.

I can't help it. I love it on everything. Mustard too, and sometimes I like the two together, especially on hotdogs.

LilyLily

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 07:20:58 AM »
Here's one for you....

Boil Water and add some salt.  Blanche Broccoli Rabe or Broccolini you have cut up in it.  Strain it out of the water and use the water for the pasta.
Cook Orrichiete (sp?) pasta,  reserve 1-2 cups of the pasta cooking water, drain and set aside.
Brown Italian sausage while the pasta is cooking (i use a spicy one) in a Tb. of olive oil and 2 cloves of minced garlic.  If you don't use spicy sausage, but want a little kick you can add some red pepper flakes.
Drain most of the fat off the sausage.
Combine the broccoli, sausage and pasta.  Add parmesan cheese 1.5c and gradually add the pasta water a little at a time so the mixture isn't dry.  You may not use all the water.  It's a personal preference thing.

Enjoy!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 11:45:13 PM »
I like spinach lasagna (no tomatoes) and really like some of the "white" pizzas (no tomatoes).

And,   :hug:.  My FIL can't eat tomatoes, onions, garlic, chocolate, strawberries, cinnamon, alcohol, and some other foods.  I'm sensitive to onion (although I'll eat them anyway, just not as much as I might otherwise), but garlic would be really really hard to give up.  Actually, both are tough in that they are in everything, and are usually included whenever the ingredient listed is "spices" with no further clarification.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
 :buttpat:

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 08:26:42 AM »
bump

+-SUPPORT US