Forum > Food

Cooking with Whole Chilis

<< < (2/3) > >>

witchypoo:
i use dried often - mostly to make sauces. 

my source for anchos has disappeared, so i hafta find new.

Natasha:
The way I learned to use whole dried chiles was to put them in a dry hot skillet until they puff up, then roughly chop them. Once they've cooled, I put them in the blender and they break down into nice small pieces.

DocBuzzkill:
I have a coffee grinder dedicated to grinding dry, whole spices, including dried chile pods.  The weekend before last, I made carne avodaba using dried, red New Mexican Hatch chile pods I bought at a farmers' market in Tucson when we were visiting last spring.  Just tore them up, knocked out most of the seeds, then ground up the "skin" in my spice grinder to a fine powder.   The flavor was superb in the stew.  It's pretty easy to make your own chili powder blend using a mix of chiles and whole spices (cumin seeds, coriander seeds, etc).

I'm pretty lucky since my local grocery store carries dried anchos, guajillo, arbol, and pasilla peppers.  There are plenty of other markets in the Boston area that carry varieties of whole dried peppers, especially the major Indian grocery stores.

I also use that spice grinder to make all of my Indian masalas from whole spices.  Definitely worth having this little utensil available.

ihop:
Oh!  And you can clean your grinder but grinding a piece of bread.  The leftover spices (or coffee) stick to the bread.   :)

radial:

--- Quote from: ihop on March 26, 2019, 04:01:37 PM ---Oh!  And you can clean your grinder but grinding a piece of bread.  The leftover spices (or coffee) stick to the bread.   :)

--- End quote ---

Oh, good tip! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version