Author Topic: It's kind of pointless pointing out how crazy the left has become  (Read 23729 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: It's kind of pointless pointing out how crazy the left has become
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 10:43:55 AM »
Good to see some discussion about running here--a two page thread! Wind aided and downhill on the first lap but that's still something!

Go for four laps (pages). We can do it!

Pro runners Kyle Merber and Ben Blankenship (2016 Olympian at 1500 m) ran Alaska's first outdoor sub 4 mile last night at a special event in Anchorage, put on by Alaska's most renowned runner Trevor Dunbar (whom I discussed many times 8-9 years ago when he was a high schooler in Kodiak).

https://www.adn.com/sports/running/2017/09/13/on-historic-night-of-running-two-break-4-minute-mile-mark-at-west-high/

:D

I miss the fitness that came with training, but as I hobbled through three painful miles in which it felt like my entire body was revolting (seriously, how can running make your elbow hurt?!), I just don't know that I can put the effort in now. And, well, long and unpredictable work hours + travel.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »
Tarawa - I think my tendons are messed up beyond what happens to most people.  If you don't feel right fast, get into PT.

I have multiple issues and I think I am somehow just wired for poor healing.  You'll be better than that.

My rule of thumb is 3 weeks self-treatment/downtime if something flares up--unless it's a whole lot of pain. And then it's time to seek medical advice and PT.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »
:D

I miss the fitness that came with training, but as I hobbled through three painful miles in which it felt like my entire body was revolting (seriously, how can running make your elbow hurt?!), I just don't know that I can put the effort in now. And, well, long and unpredictable work hours + travel.

Can you start up with 3 days a week of walk-jogging for a couple months and see how that goes? Just get out when you can.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »
I can count too. But I'm not smart enough to do it backwards, even with 80% single digit prime numbers.

But 60.6 for lap 1

61.8 lap 2 (we had to sleep on that one), so damn we gotta pick it up!

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »
So let's talk about your 5k time, shall we?

Or maybe your 40 yard dash.

I pulled a hamstring last week. Really annoying too because it's right where the hamstring attaches up at the butt (was doing some repeat 400's and apparently overdid it)

Sorry about the dinged up hams. That's why don't sprint much--hams, Achilles, PF are all susceptible and those things can take forever to heal up.

I raced two 5Ks at altitude early in the year but my two best 5Ks in 2017 have been second half splits (sub 18) in 10Ks at sea level. I briefly thought about traveling to Syracuse for the masters 5K championships this month but travel budget is limited an I'll focus on 15K next month and 10K XC in late fall.

My sprint speed is very lame. I'm all slow twitch anymore. For me it's aerobic capacity and economy at +/- 6:00/mile pace. Whatever I'm doing seems to be working.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »
Can you start up with 3 days a week of walk-jogging for a couple months and see how that goes? Just get out when you can.

That's what I do, three days a week, "easy" runs supplemented by three days of week of strength training. My hamstring (and now piriformis) makes running thoroughly unenjoyable. My pace these days is what I used to do as a recovery jog in the speed work days.  >:(

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
That's what I do, three days a week, "easy" runs supplemented by three days of week of strength training. My hamstring (and now piriformis) makes running thoroughly unenjoyable. My pace these days is what I used to do as a recovery jog in the speed work days.  >:(

Thanks for helping with the pace Amy! Lap 3 is the tough one.  :)

Yeah I went through many years with aches and pains (late 30s, some in the 40s, and 50s), when it seemed like nothing worked. Somehow things kind of worked themselves out. So the best I can say is keep at it, work to fix the sources of the problems, and get medical help/advice when needed.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2017, 11:14:24 AM »
Related to the sub mile last night in Alaska, who are the best all time milers from your state? (either native born or originally from there, or transplants)?

I guess you have to be sort of a track nerd to know these things. Letsrun has had a couple threads trying to pin this down. I'll go look for it.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »
Not even at a 1000 meters yet and I'm getting tired.

Here's the thread I was thinking of, although it's somewhat dated and male only, which is pretty lame:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3075930

No one in my home state of Colorado has gone under 4 here but it's at 5000 feet and higher. The official record is 4:01.27 by Tabor Stevens in 2015. Each spring they hold a couple all out attempts, one in La Junta or Lamar (small farm town in the SE part of the state at 4200') and another in Longmont (elevation 5000') as part of a high school/pro meet each May. This year they offered $10000 to do it. And they plan to up the ante each year until someone does it.

I think Adam Goucher (a CO native no less) still has the best time, he ran a 3:54 in Europ about 10 or 15 years ago. We can claim Jenny Simpson because she's been here her entire adult life. She ran 4:16 at the 5th Ave. Mile last week, tying Pattisue Plumer's time from the mid-1990s. Plumer is originally from Colorado, went to high school in Montrose, before going to Stanford and staying in the Bay Area after that. 

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
Before the lactic acid shuts me down and all you guys drafting off me blast by on the final lap, I thought this discussion on hate speech vs. free speech on campuses was pretty interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/opinion/berkeley-dean-erwin-chemerinsky.html

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »
You're on rehab for how many more months? Do you have a timeline when you can start running?

My progress is very very slow.  For some reason I am the one in fifteen who does not react well to immobilization and non weightbearing.. My progress is so slow that my brain is just in the 24 hours ahead of me and I am not even thinking about running..

I only made it around ( if you can call it that) on the recumbent bike for the first time last week and it's no guarantee I will be able to do it each time again.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »
My progress is very very slow.  For some reason I am the one in fifteen who does not react well to immobilization and non weightbearing.. My progress is so slow that my brain is just in the 24 hours ahead of me and I am not even thinking about running..

I only made it around ( if you can call it that) on the recumbent bike for the first time last week and it's no guarantee I will be able to do it each time again.

Sorry to hear that. But I also think you'll come back around eventually. Keep the faith and keep working on it.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »
While everyone is talking about their injuries, I'll add mine.  I had an office visit with an orthopedic surgeon yesterday to get an opinion on my torn cartilage.  I had already decided that my running career was over; but wanted some insight into the condition of my knee.  The news wasn't good.  My knee is shot.  Years of running and possibly the original surgery has resulted in an arthritic knee that he described as a 7.5 on a scale of 10.  He recommended quad extensions to maximize strength.  Fortunately, I don't have any pain or discomfort.  So, now in addition to working out on a Concept2 rowing machine and a recumbent bike (both of which work the quads), I've added quad extensions and hamstring curls to my weight lifting program.  I've been running since 1958 with some success so there aren't any regrets.

To keep my competitive juices firing, I can still compete on the rowing machine when I log my times into their world list.  There are even a few indoor rowing meets where I could compete if I can get fit enough.  So, all is not lost.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »

Be patient with yourself.  Your surgery was pretty severe, so give yourself a lot of time.  Eventually you may find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2017, 12:06:28 PM »
NCAA XC is kicking off with a few low key meets last week and this week. I think the first big invites will be the week after and into early October.

Who do you like?

I think Oregon women are stacked and will be tough to beat. Colorado is also tough. They were favorites last year but sort of choked at the championship. At the individual level, if they can stay healthy, can't wait for the matchup between Karissa Schweizer of Mizzou and Allie Ostrander of Boise State. Schweizer was the surprise winner last year but went on to win 5000 indoor and outdoor titles and place 4th, against all the pros, at the USA national championships. She's got a wicked kick. The waifish Ostrander hasn't run XC since 2015 but placed a solid 2nd at NCAAs as a freshman, and won the collegiate 3000 m steeplechase last spring.

The men's field is more wide open I think. Syracuse might be the favorite, but Colorado usually has a way to come out of the woodwork for a podium finish if not vie for the title. King Ches (Oregon-Kenya) has graduated and gone pro and last year's upset winner Patrick Tiernan (Villanova-Australia) has too. So Justin Knight (Canada-Syracuse) seems to be an early favorite.

Who are your picks, or favorites from your alma mater or home state?   

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »
While everyone is talking about their injuries, I'll add mine.  I had an office visit with an orthopedic surgeon yesterday to get an opinion on my torn cartilage.  I had already decided that my running career was over; but wanted some insight into the condition of my knee.  The news wasn't good.  My knee is shot.  Years of running and possibly the original surgery has resulted in an arthritic knee that he described as a 7.5 on a scale of 10.  He recommended quad extensions to maximize strength.  Fortunately, I don't have any pain or discomfort.  So, now in addition to working out on a Concept2 rowing machine and a recumbent bike (both of which work the quads), I've added quad extensions and hamstring curls to my weight lifting program.  I've been running since 1958 with some success so there aren't any regrets.

To keep my competitive juices firing, I can still compete on the rowing machine when I log my times into their world list.  There are even a few indoor rowing meets where I could compete if I can get fit enough.  So, all is not lost.

Could you still get knee replacement?
Good work with the rowing.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »
I've had my share of injuries and down time, and must be on my 7th or 8th life. But this has bee a good year so far and I want to keep it rolling.

Two little niggles though. One new the other has been around for a few months. The new one was I woke up the other day and I was having some muscle spasms in my thoracic spinal area. It hurt to breathe and move around for Tuesday and Wednesday, but seems much better today. Just a little tight if I twist.

The other is my right hip almost feels like it's popping out of joint sometimes. I wonder if I have a slight labral tear or something. I'll be running along--usually in the first mile or two and it just feels very wobbly for a stride two. But then it goes away.

I only do a little stretching and some light core work about 2X a week. 

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »
Could you still get knee replacement?

Right now, I am not interested in a knee replacement.  My visit yesterday was simply to discuss the torn cartilage and the possibility of further injury.  I am not in any real discomfort; in fact I walked 4 miles on the "rail trail" each day last week when I was visiting my brother in South Yarmouth, MA.  I can still do anything I could do before.  I am very careful when I pivot, since I don't have a lot of lateral support for my knee; but I have been doing this since my original surgery 45 years ago.  So, nothing new.

Right now my 30 minute row time is the 11th fastest out of 27 entries (70-79 lightweight) on this year's Concept2 World List (the year ends next May 1st).  Hopefully I will improve and not drop too far on the list when more rowers enter their times.

It is very common for older runners to stop running and start rowing.  It is a nice full body, non weight bearing exercise.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:38:08 PM by Richard21142 »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
As always you have such a great attitude Richard. Hope that your meet and beat your rowing goals along the way!

Offline morefoolyou

• The Runners
  • now i'm trying to get back
    • redShirt Union
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2017, 12:53:42 PM »
i don't know how my 2.95 mile run is gonna get us out of this black hole. i can't even see myself complain about the lack of incline here. it is totally flat. like Hillary's chances of a political comeback. not that she won't try...
The scientific consensus might, of course, be wrong. If the history of science teaches anything, it is humility. But our grandchildren will surely blame us if they find that we understood the reality of climate change and failed to do anything about it.

+-SUPPORT US