Author Topic: Chickpeas in turkey stuffing  (Read 17049 times)

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
Chickpeas in turkey stuffing
« on: November 18, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »
First ..let me be clear ..I do NOT watch Dr. Oz.  I can't stand him.

but I was channel flipping and he had a chef who prepared turkey stuffing with chickpeas instead of bread and folks raved about it.

Its gluten free.

Has anyone tried this?

ZiggyStardust

Re: Chickpeas in turkey stuffing
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:29:24 PM »
I bet it'd be good, though not the same as bread.
But I love chickpeas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »
i cannot endorse this.

but i am not a fan of whole chickpeas.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:37:29 PM »
NOPE.

I like chickpeas but they do not belong in stuffing.

But I'm sure I'd eat it anyway if it was served to me... :D
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline arc918

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 07:37:33 PM »
NOPE.

But I'm sure I'd eat it anyway if it was served to me... :D

This!

Stuffing should be made of stuffing

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
I might give it a whirl if I were cooking for a celiac. Since I'm not, we'll stick with good ol' delicious bread!

Chris the Wheeler

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:41:40 PM »
NOPE.

Hey Look.  Caito and I agree on something.

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 07:47:43 PM »
I'll publicly-on-a-private-board admit: I hope the folks prepping t-day this year have a non-traditional option. I'm not a huge fan of the traditional thanksgiving meal.
Frankly, I run a race that day to help offset the inevitable antsy-ness... :D

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »
Ziggy-- by "traditional" do you mean turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (with marshmallows), green bean casserole with tinned onions and condensed cream of mushroom soup, Stouffers stuffing, and tinned cranberry sauce?

Or do you oppose all fallish foods?

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 08:21:03 PM »
Ziggy-- by "traditional" do you mean turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (with marshmallows), green bean casserole with tinned onions and condensed cream of mushroom soup, Stouffers stuffing, and tinned cranberry sauce?

Or do you oppose all fallish foods?
Yeah, I'm no lover of turkey. Cranberry isn't liked by anyone, on either side. Green bean casserole is teh glop :urgh:
I love sweet potatoes, just cooked in their skin, but the whole marshmallow thing is barf-worthy (my fam doesn't go in for that).
Mashed potatoes and stuffing are okay, but a little goes a long way (my mom's stuffing was always delicious; Stouffers is...reconstituted cardboard, to my own palate).

I preferred the good old days when my husband and I could spend the day alone and just make a pizza or something. This year there's too much family all around :panic:

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 08:23:57 PM »
Turkey is boring. On Thanksgiving I am interested in a variety of potatoes, stuffing (because it's the one time of year   I have stuffing,) pie, and wine.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 08:29:54 PM »
I see. I agree with you on all counts. But I think you can do traditional and not canned and creamed style everything.

I'm co-hosting with my dad this year. He's doing appetizers, desserts, bread (he owns a bakery so kind of cheating), and the bird. It would seem that NO ONE really likes turkey but tradition persists. I do not care because I do not eat meat.

I'll be making roasted brussles sprouts, roasted squash, sweet potatoes (I top mine with hazelnuts and brown sugar-- a nod to tradition), mashed potatoes, traditional stuffing but good bread, maybe some sort of kale salad, and maybe a risotto.

But, yes, I agree with you. Many years I'd do a potluck dinner party with friends and then my little fam of 3 would spend the day in the mountains (snowboarding or hiking depending on the weather). But BF is not down with that. His fam insists on the whole giant celebration. Usually DAYS of celebration. It makes me itchy. But I suck it up for his benefit. Last year we left the country and spent the long weekend in a remote corner of british Columbia. It was perfection. We might do the same next year. We shall see.

ZiggyStardust

Chickpeas in turkey stuffing
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 08:35:12 PM »
I don't get all :panic: about much, but this year, we've got my husband's extended family coming up for the holiday at my BIL's place (about 30 min away) and my family gathering at my brother's place in NH (also about 30 min away, in the opposite direction). 4.5 days, spent with no one, feels like a true break, a mini vacation. 4.5 days, shuttling back and forth between people, having to converse constantly, seems like no vacation at all... >:(

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »
I love thanksgiving! I love it so much I'm having fifty people over tomorrow for a thanksgiving party, and then am doing it all over again on Thursday (but not at my house). I enjoy the traditional once a year foods and also the foodie versions. My party is usually more fun than the  family version because I have a bonfire and because the crowd is such a mixed bag, but the family one is good, too. It's our year to go to DH's family so it's a day trip, I'm looking forward to relaxing the rest of the weekend at home. Oh, and I'd try chickpea stuffing, but I'm all about the bread kind.

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »
I love thanksgiving!

Me too!  Even when DH and I go to another house, I always cook a full T-day meal just for us either the day before or after.  We have our traditional favorites but in the past few years we opt for duck rather than turkey.  Same this year.  Small duck is thawing already in the fridge!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 11:05:41 PM »
Me too!  Even when DH and I go to another house, I always cook a full T-day meal just for us either the day before or after.  We have our traditional favorites but in the past few years we opt for duck rather than turkey.  Same this year.  Small duck is thawing already in the fridge!

The best part about Thanksgiving is leftovers for days. I hate going to someone else's house and having no leftovers!

Duck is a great idea. Yum!

Offline McG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 11:08:42 PM »
The best part about Thanksgiving is leftovers for days. I hate going to someone else's house and having no leftovers!

Yes! This is our first time hosting and this is what I am looking forward to most! What bread to buy for turkey sandwiches could be a more important decision than how to cook my second turkey.
McG has the perfect comedic touch: reserved only for just the right moments. - tazawa

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 11:09:52 PM »
Yes! This is our first time hosting and this is what I am looking forward to most! What bread to buy for turkey sandwiches could be a more important decision than how to cook my second turkey.

We err on the side of caution and get a bunch of different kinds!

Offline McG

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 11:16:12 PM »
Yeah. I gotta go with a basic wheat, because yum. But also nice ciabatta to jazz it up and add some crunch.... hmmm.
McG has the perfect comedic touch: reserved only for just the right moments. - tazawa

Offline Beer Gut

• Help me, I'm melting....
  • Reduce; Re-use; Recycle
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 11:32:47 PM »

Chickpeas in stuffing wouldn't be too bad, as long as there weren't a lot.

Chickpeas as stuffing wouldn't be very good. They're heavy, and it would be like eating something as solid as baked beans.

Nah, I'd just say I was allergic, and pass on the solid chickpea stuffing.

I could be completely wrong about this.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 11:42:20 PM »

Homemade rolls are where it's at! My siblings and I decided that they are the most important part of thanksgiving dinner. Followed closely by pomegranate salad, chocolate dream pie, and mashed potatoes. Turkey is only important for sandwiches.

With all that said, I think kenyan and I are skipping actual thanksgiving in favor of a mashed potato bar at home alone. Friday we will get together with my aunts and uncles for Pie Meal, which is pizza, turkey pot pie or soup, and like ten different kinds of pie.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:44:24 PM by nadra24 »

Offline McG

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »
Homemade rolls are where it's at! My siblings and I decided that they are the most important part of thanksgiving dinner. Followed closely by pomegranate salad, chocolate dream pie, and mashed potatoes. Turkey is only important for sandwiches.

With all that said, I think kenyan and I are skipping actual thanksgiving in favor of a mashed potato bar at home alone. Friday we will get together with my aunts and uncles for Pie Meal, which is pizza, turkey pot pie or soup, and like ten different kinds of pie.

This is all kinds of awesome.

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 12:52:45 AM »
Pie Meal, which is pizza, turkey pot pie or soup, and like ten different kinds of pie.

:baby:

Offline Noley

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 12:54:51 AM »
I like all stuffing with a lot of gravy.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 01:29:02 AM »
I can't eat bread, so I'm always on the lookout for alternatives.  Chickpea stuffing sounds pretty good. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 04:18:41 AM »
No chickpeas in dressing!
We don't eat stuffing, we eat dressing. And since I'm from the south it has to be cornbread dressing. Do people actually stuff the turkey with the stuffing? I couldn't eat anything that was cooked in a bird cavity.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 06:12:26 AM »
Yeah. I gotta go with a basic wheat, because yum. But also nice ciabatta to jazz it up and add some crunch.... hmmm.

Dark rye should get some love.   :)

I am a fan of Thanksgiving as well.  Grew up with tons of great Southern cooks in the family.  We didn't eat commercially canned anything.

People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 06:14:49 AM »
We don't eat stuffing, we eat dressing. And since I'm from the south it has to be cornbread dressing. Do people actually stuff the turkey with the stuffing? I couldn't eat anything that was cooked in a bird cavity.

Not a fan of bird stuffing either... One food should not dictate the cooking time of another.  You have to dry the bird to dust to get the stuffing cooked.   

And hell yes on the CB dressing. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2016, 06:31:11 AM »
Dark rye should get some love.   :)

I am a fan of Thanksgiving as well.  Grew up with tons of great Southern cooks in the family.  We didn't eat commercially canned anything.

Last year we had a family member and her family come eat with us. I always make homemade cranberry sauce. She wouldn't eat it. She said she's so used to the canned kind that that's all she likes. I asked her what if I make it in the shape of a tin can. :D
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 06:42:58 AM »
Last year we had a family member and her family come eat with us. I always make homemade cranberry sauce. She wouldn't eat it. She said she's so used to the canned kind that that's all she likes. I asked her what if I make it in the shape of a tin can. :D

:D

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »
I always call it stuffing, but I never actually stuff it.

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2016, 10:51:41 AM »
I call it stuffing too ...but I don't stuff the bird with it.  I usually stuff the turkey cavity with cut onions and oranges, which get discarded. The stuffing goes into a casserole dish.

I used to pack down the stuffing in the dish, but I have found that if I add it loosely then it doesn't get soggy and there are lots of browned crunchy bits ...which we love.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »
i cannot endorse this.

Not at all appealing

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »

Not at all appealing
How do you wanna lose weight if you're gorging yourself like a foie-gras goose on carby bread-based stuffing?! >:(

:D

I'll eat the bready stuffing for you, if you do my ironing for me! I bet my husband would invite you to watch football and drink beer, too! :D

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2016, 05:22:33 PM »
I always call it stuffing, but I never actually stuff it.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
I don't know how you all have room in your oven to do stuffing outside of the bird.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2016, 08:23:37 AM »
Why do you hate the food forum so much?  :d
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2016, 09:50:48 AM »
Stuffing belongs inside the turkey!  I think the chickpea one sounds good. 
Because PANTS

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
Chickpeas are to stuffing as nuts are to brownies. In other words, there is no place for either in their respective dishes. :P

And you can pry my sweet potato marshmallow casserole out of my cold, dead hands. If I'm actually dead, you can also pry any remaining contents of that stuff out of my stomach too, depending on time of death after ingestion. But that would just be mean.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »
Bonita, how was the party?  I'm sorry I couldn't make it.

Chickpeas in stuffing sounds interesting but I'd prefer garbanzo beans.   ;)   We do stuffing with chestnuts and onions, some in the bird, some out.  That way we have wet stuffing for the meat eaters and dry stuffing for the vegetergenarians.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »
One of our thnxgvng staples my DW invented twenty years ago.  It's boiled and mashed winter squash placed in a casserole dish with fresh boiled cranberries over it, then covered with crushed pecans and baked.  You get a mix of sweet and sour and crunchy in one dish.   She came up with it when we were invited to a friend's house, told  to bring a dish and had almost nothing in the cupboard.  So she whipped up a masterpiece.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2016, 10:22:24 AM »
The party was awesome! We had so much fun. And I have glorious leftovers today.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2016, 10:50:03 AM »
One of our thnxgvng staples my DW invented twenty years ago.  It's boiled and mashed winter squash placed in a casserole dish with fresh boiled cranberries over it, then covered with crushed pecans and baked.  You get a mix of sweet and sour and crunchy in one dish.   She came up with it when we were invited to a friend's house, told  to bring a dish and had almost nothing in the cupboard.  So she whipped up a masterpiece.

Ooh this sounds good...

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2016, 10:50:52 AM »
I'm with MG and TW on this one; heck I'm not even sure I've ever had stuffing! We do cornbread dressing and depending on the year much get make it a duck dressing if we have some fresh kills or oyster dressing :eats:
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2016, 11:19:17 AM »
I want to go to a mixed race black-Italian Thanksgiving so I can have both ziti with sausage and macaroni and cheese with my turkey.

:hah:

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2016, 11:20:27 AM »
Chickpeas are to stuffing as nuts are to brownies. In other words, there is no place for either in their respective dishes. :P

oh now that's just a cheap shot. 

Completely uncalled for and unnecessary. Apologize!  :incazzato:

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2016, 11:22:15 AM »

Yeah I saw that but I let it go.

She probably doesn't like beans in her chili either.    :d

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
Ultimately, I think she needs to smile more.   :>D:

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »

How drunk are you?  Brownies without nuts are just cake
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2016, 11:59:52 AM »
Anyway, I've made this before

https://www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/stuffed-roast-chicken/

It was delicious and you're not going to convince me otherwise.
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »

It's unfair! Waaaah!
Yeah I saw that but I let it go.

She probably doesn't like beans in her chili either.    :d
It is the Texamerican way!
Ultimately, I think she needs to smile more.   :>D:
:(
How drunk are you?  Brownies without nuts are just cake
Not drunk, I just have standards

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »
I love chana masala.  I love hummus made from scratch.  But chickpeas as stuffing in roast poultry?

Oh Spongebob Whyyyyyyy?

#notallprogressives

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »
Now I feel like I have to try this JUST TO SEE. Because the recipe, as written, doesn't really make much sense to me.

Offline ihop

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »

1.  Cornbread dressing here too.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
I imagining something like a chunky hummus with olives in it.  I'd eat that with turkey.

My now-ex-SIL made some sort of stuffing with apples and things one year (vegetarian) and it was REALLY GOOD.

I don't really care about normal stuffing. It's a vehicle for gravy.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »
Can you post if you find the recipe? My son has Celiac and I'd love to try it. We do have gluten free corn bread versions for him (and he doesn't really care about eating stuffing anyway) but I'd like to add to the repertoire.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2016, 05:58:34 PM »
Teetime, here is the recipe I saw. I don't know if this is the one the OP was talking about but it came up when I searched Dr. Oz and chickpeas.

+-SUPPORT US