Forum > Food

I am the worst baker!

<< < (2/4) > >>

BonitaApplebum:

--- Quote from: Run Amok on November 07, 2016, 08:01:44 PM ---Yeah, the trader joes ones are really decent and cheap and I use them a lot for that reason. I just figured I'd give this one a try because the picture looked so inviting! I shoulda known better!

--- End quote ---

I screwed up the last time I made bread, too -- and it was something I deemed "easy" and that I've made a dozen times before: foccacia bread. I was only paying half attention, though, and I totally mismeasured. I wound up throwing the whole thing out, it was not salvageable. To add insult to injury, I accidentally threw out a measuring spoon along with the dough, and didn't realize it until it was too late to retrieve it. 

Next time I make bread I swear I'm going to focus. :(

Run Amok:
 :hah: :-[ exactly BA! They actually turned out ok even though I totally screwed them up.

diablita:
I'm glad they turned out ok!  I would think that adding the salt a little later wouldn't be a game ender, just not ideal.  And then as long as the yeast didn't go in with boiling (or too cold) water it would still work.  Glad it did! 

I've had it happen before that my challah dough was too dry or wet because I often double the recipe AND add an extra yolk so I adjust for that by hand.  It never hurts to have to add more water or flour than the recipe calls for if it's just in small amounts.

I can't remember if I got this recipe here or not, but this is EXTREMELY forgiving and delicious, besides having a really good nutritional profile and probably going great with your curried chickpeas:
socca

Ice Cream:
Don't think of you as being the worst baker, you were distracted, and that is all.

Cool Foot Luke:

--- Quote from: diablita on November 08, 2016, 05:57:20 AM ---I'm glad they turned out ok!  I would think that adding the salt a little later wouldn't be a game ender, just not ideal.  And then as long as the yeast didn't go in with boiling (or too cold) water it would still work.  Glad it did! 

I've had it happen before that my challah dough was too dry or wet because I often double the recipe AND add an extra yolk so I adjust for that by hand.  It never hurts to have to add more water or flour than the recipe calls for if it's just in small amounts.

I can't remember if I got this recipe here or not, but this is EXTREMELY forgiving and delicious, besides having a really good nutritional profile and probably going great with your curried chickpeas:
socca

--- End quote ---

That sounds good. Have you ever tried making it without using the broiler?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version