Author Topic: Camping food  (Read 29746 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Camping food
« on: May 28, 2016, 11:03:33 PM »
Since it's just about camping season, anybody want to talk about outdoor cooking?

I think my all time crowd pleaser is burritos. They are flexible enough that kids and picky eaters will enjoy them, and they work for carnivores and veggies.

I usually have a camp stove, a grill (either hibachi or weber), and a campfire, but you can usually make this work with some combo of the above.

I will grill up a protein (generally pre-marinated chicken, sometimes beef). While that's happening I'll make minute rice or one of those rice pilaf in a box mixes on the stove. I also heat up some canned refried beans and/or black beans on the stove. You can make all this stuff as seasoned or as plain as your crowd likes.

I put out shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, hot sauce, sour cream, along with all of the above when it's ready. Plus the big size flour tortillas.

Holler for the crowd. Everyone gets to build their own burrito as they like. Wrap in foil and heat on the coals. I put out shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes to add after the fact.

It's a bit of prep up front but the beauty of this meal is everyone makes their own and once you've done the prep your work is finished. Great for a crowd or for people that aren't eating all at once.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Re: Camping food
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 12:19:52 AM »
Yummm...

Last summer we enjoyed sweet potatoes wrapped in foil baked on the coals. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:20:44 AM »
That sounds good BA!  What else do you like to make?  What do you make for breakfast?

I suppose I need to buy a good cooler for car camping this summer.  We've not done much so I have a tiny one (mostly for beer) but if I'm going to bring several days' worth of protein, I'll need bigger.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
We make all the breakfast foods! Last summer when cooking for a crowd DH made omelettes to order, but he's the omelette king. I like doing French toast. I almost always try to do something you can do on the camp stove for breakfast, because nobody wants to mess around with the grill or a fire in the morning. But if you don't mind starting coals of some sort, breakfast casseroles in a Dutch oven are good, and super easy. I also always have cereal and yogurt on hand for early risers (aka kids) that can't wait for the chef. And, of course, coffee!!!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 08:26:26 AM »
Last summer my friend did meatball subs for dinner -- so easy. She prepped the meatballs and sauce at home so she just had to heat them up onsite. She had crusty rolls and sliced provolone and toasted the sandwiches a bit on the grill, served with a salad.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:29:25 PM »
We fry bacon on the campstove, then cook eggs or pancakes in the grease.  Pancakes are usually from a just add water mix.

(I realize this won't help Diablita...)

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »
Speaking of coolers, who has a recommendation?  We'd like to upgrade.  And any tips for keeping things their coldest?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »
Here's what I do with my coolers:

1) Open them as few times as possible. Have a dedicated cooler for drinks, because that will get opened and closed a lot more. You should only be opening your food cooler when you are prepping or putting away food. We have a cooler strictly assigned to the kids because they are horrible about opening it, rummaging around, and leaving it open!

2) For multi day trips, I freeze things and let them serve as ice. For example, a half gallon of orange juice -- I get the kind in the carton with the screw top. I freeze it at home and then by second day breakfast it's thawed enough to drink. I also do this with things like Newman's lemonade.

3) I also freeze a big thing of iced coffee (you can recycle a half gallon carton or use a tupperware pitcher type thing). This is the BEST when you get up and your tent is hot and you need coffee so badly you can't even find the french press. Icy cold coffee FTW!

4) Everything gets double or even triple sealed in my coolers. This isn't a keeping cold thing so much as keeping dry -- after the time all of our fancypants cheeses got drenched in cooler water, I learned my lesson. I typically use multiple ziplock bags for everything. This helps with organization, too -- butter/cheese in one set of bags, cold cuts in another, etc. Things like pasta salads that I made at home go into double zips as well.

5) Instead of (or in addition to) cubed ice, use blocks of ice -- they last longer. Freeze them at home and then line the bottom of the cooler with them (you can freeze in ziplocks or tupperware or whatever makes blocks that fit into the bottom). Then another layer on top of everything.

6) When it's hot you need to keep maintaining your coolers -- you can't set it and forget it. Drain water periodically and replace with more ice several times a day if you can.

7) Keep the cooler out of the sun. You can insulate it more by throwing a towel or blanket over it.

But seriously, the number one rule is -- DON'T OPEN THE COOLER unless you really need to, and then be quick about it!

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 01:59:41 PM »
Thanks.  Iced coffee is a brilliant idea!   :!:

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
It's a game changer! The first time we did it we were like, this is the greatest thing EVER! :D

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 04:30:12 PM »
I am obsessed with "baking cakes" on coals inside of citrus peel.  Oranges are a good starter fruit because they are easy to hollow out.  Cut one end off, scoop out the flesh (careful not to tear the peel... reserve any juice you can squeeze out of the flesh (press through a sieve or just get your hands dirty and squeeze in your fists over a bowl).  Bring pre-measured and pre-mixed dry ingredients for the cake in a large ziploc... add the appropriate number of eggs and use the citrus juice for all or part of your liquid... mix right in the ziploc.  When it's well combined snip a corner off the bag and use it like an icing bag to fill the hollowed citrus 2/3 full.  Put the end back on the peel and wrap in 2 layers of foil by gathering foil from the bottom to the top then twisting a handle on top... make sure it's nice and tight to keep the citrus lid on.  Cake takes about  25 minutes to cook on the fire... after about 10 you can roll it around to heat all sides without worrying about too much spillage.

Chocolate cake in oranges is fantastic.  Also poppy seed in lemons.  Grapefruit cakes take longer to cook and are easier to burn.  I want to try doing a ginger cake of some sort in limes but haven't fully thought it out.

Also, you can make whipped cream in a mason jar by shaking heavy cream like you would to make butter, except stop before it becomes butter...

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 06:05:40 PM »
Omg I am totally doing that!! Great idea!

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 08:57:01 PM »
Spaghetti is a good meal that doesn't need refrigeration, just a big pot and a camp stove. We tend to plan that for the last day.

If you have time to sit around the fire and wait for it, I really love dutch oven potatoes. I don't have a recipe offhand, but it's basically bacon, onions, thinly sliced potatoes, shredded cheddar, and maybe some cream of chicken soup depending on the recipe you use. Takes a long time to cook but oh so scrumptious.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
lots of great ideas here, thanks!  For the cooler, since we'll be alongside a creek that's always cool during our July group camp trip, I wonder if we could set it in the creek (tied down well) during the hotter part of the day to keep it cool.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 12:48:59 AM »
Spaghetti is a good meal that doesn't need refrigeration, just a big pot and a camp stove. We tend to plan that for the last day.

If you have time to sit around the fire and wait for it, I really love dutch oven potatoes. I don't have a recipe offhand, but it's basically bacon, onions, thinly sliced potatoes, shredded cheddar, and maybe some cream of chicken soup depending on the recipe you use. Takes a long time to cook but oh so scrumptious.
You can also do thinly sliced potatoes plus all of the extras in foil packets on the fire. Yum!!

Offline Knoxious

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »
Diab - if you get a good cooler (Yeti) it'll hold ice for days.  And it'll last forever.

Dutch oven - the two best things I've ever made were a crawfish etouffee and a Brunswick stew.   I made a dry roux in advance and then tossed in the stock, veggies, seasoning and crawfish.  Boil-in-a-bag rice.  I made the Brunswick stew base at home and froze it (used as ice).  The chicken was cooked in advance, seasoned and shredded and added to the base on site.    I like stew and such because they're easier to clean up and you can almost always get away with one big pot.

I gave up making a hot breakfast years ago - it's so much labor so early in the morning.  And it can take forever - look up and it's 10:30...   We're usually eating granola bars, poptarts, fruit, bagels, cream cheese, etc for breakfast.

We also make the spaghetti in advance - just leave it in a ziplock and heat the sauce separately.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »

I gave up making a hot breakfast years ago - it's so much labor so early in the morning.  And it can take forever - look up and it's 10:30...   We're usually eating granola bars, poptarts, fruit, bagels, cream cheese, etc for breakfast.

I throw instant oatmeal in plastic bags and add brown sugar, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, powdered milk, and dried cranberries. Then all that is needed is to boil water and add to bowls. This is good for car camping or backpacking.

For car camping dinners, my recent go-to has been to chop a bunch of veggies and toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I keep the bowl and some precooked sausage or veggie sausage in the cooler, then for dinner, wrap the veggies with the sausage in foil, then put on the grill. For starch, I wrap potatoes with butter in foil and those can go right into the fire (or on the grill)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
Diab - if you get a good cooler (Yeti) it'll hold ice for days.  And it'll last forever.

Dutch oven - the two best things I've ever made were a crawfish etouffee and a Brunswick stew.   I made a dry roux in advance and then tossed in the stock, veggies, seasoning and crawfish.  Boil-in-a-bag rice.  I made the Brunswick stew base at home and froze it (used as ice).  The chicken was cooked in advance, seasoned and shredded and added to the base on site.    I like stew and such because they're easier to clean up and you can almost always get away with one big pot.

We also make the spaghetti in advance - just leave it in a ziplock and heat the sauce separately.

Premade stuff from home that you just add onsite is the secret to awesome camping food!

And I know what you mean about breakfast -- it often feels like too much work.

But, we do a thing where we go camping with a few other families, and everybody volunteers to make one breakfast and one dinner. When it's not your family's turn to cook, you just sit on your ass and show up when the food is ready (and wash your own dishes afterward). That way you are only on the hook for two meals the whole time, and you don't get annoyed by the fact that you are spending all your time in camp cooking and cleaning up, because you don't. :D

This system was conceived out of wanting to cook a lot of fun outdoor meals, but not wanting certain parties to bear all the hard work of ass-sitting for every meal -- we wanted to spread that task out a bit. Works great with my friends, but funnily enough it was a massive fail with my extended family at our yearly summer campout/reunion -- a few too many dedicated ass-sitters in that crowd!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 06:17:21 PM »
CFL-- I'm really interested to hear what you like to bring for backpacking food esp worn you're veggie bf!

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
CFL-- I'm really interested to hear what you like to bring for backpacking food esp worn you're veggie bf!

Dinner - couscous (usually the pre-seasoned stuff that Casbah makes),with stuff, usually sun-dried tomatoes or walnuts. That just requires boiling water. Also, I've been taking dried soup - split pea or lentil, which does need to cook for 4-5 minutes. Dark chocolate for dessert.

Lunch - if you can find a good instant hummus (good luck), that can be good with tortillas and cheese. PB&J also keeps well. I used to take dry sausage but those days are gone!

It's a simple menu, but it works. This generally means that 2 people can eat for a 3-day trip out of one bear canister with additional room for stuff like sunscreen and toothpaste.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 08:41:04 PM »
Not food but I freeze water in jugs, Arizona tea jugs. And the big round Poland Spring bottles. Leave a little room at the top. Put a few in and pack the food and beers around it. Never have to buy ice for 4 days.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »
I do not like to do dishes when I'm camping and I like to have as little clean up as possible. So, even when I'm car camping I normally do not bring a cooking apparatus larger than my backpacking stove and a small non-stick skillet.

I like via coffee as it is really the easiest but if we're feeling fancy we'll do a french press.

Breakfast-- eggs keep well for a couple of days out of the fridge, or in the cooler. I bring a little non-stick skillet, some sliced cheese, and english muffins-- and egg sandwiches are an easy hot meal. Pancakes are another one. They make throw-away instant containers just for this purpose or I make it in a tupperware type container and add eggs & water at the campground and cook it in the skillet. Works well.

I like to pre-make big salads that keep well, like couscous, chickpeas, feta, and bell peppers. The couscous sucks up all the dressing so it's not messy and it keeps well for a couple of days.

I pre-bake spanikopita or other little turn-over type items-- which can be heated up on the fire.

Also, a go-to is a sweet potato wrapped in foil in the coals+ black beans + veggies sausages if I'm feeling ambitious (this is a frequent weeknight meal at home too)

The kids like to roast hotdogs over the fire-- instant dinner!

Baked beans (a can or home made) + hot dogs is another easy one. Or even soup.

Seriously, I aim to keep it very simple in this regard. We never go for more than 2 nights so it's pretty easy.

Dinner - couscous (usually the pre-seasoned stuff that Casbah makes),with stuff, usually sun-dried tomatoes or walnuts. That just requires boiling water. Also, I've been taking dried soup - split pea or lentil, which does need to cook for 4-5 minutes. Dark chocolate for dessert.

Lunch - if you can find a good instant hummus (good luck), that can be good with tortillas and cheese. PB&J also keeps well. I used to take dry sausage but those days are gone!

It's a simple menu, but it works. This generally means that 2 people can eat for a 3-day trip out of one bear canister with additional room for stuff like sunscreen and toothpaste.

Thanks for this. Yep, that's about what I normally do. Plus Peanut butter pretzles, trail mix, granola bars, and the like. I'm always up for trying new tried & true stuff though!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 09:46:23 AM »

Have you ever tried this stuff Luke? http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Garden-Traditional-Hummus-Dip/dp/B000V5IMSQ

I'm curious about, looks like it would be good for backpacking since it is shelf stable.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 09:20:42 PM »

I came back to this thread to see what brand cooler was mentioned. Then I went to amazon... those things cost as much as a fridge!  :o

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 01:46:09 PM »
Have you ever tried this stuff Luke? http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Garden-Traditional-Hummus-Dip/dp/B000V5IMSQ

I'm curious about, looks like it would be good for backpacking since it is shelf stable.

I haven't...personally, I wouldn't pack anything that already contained a lot of water. Unfortunately, the hummus powder that you can reconstitute just doesn't taste very good. Also, DBF is on a very different page when it comes to backpacking food. Last weekend, he packed the bear canister that I would end up having to carry. Unbeknownst to me, I carried three apples from a trailhead at 6,000 feet up to our camp above 12,000.  :o And that was on top of the non-instant hummus that I DID know about.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 09:24:57 AM »
I haven't...personally, I wouldn't pack anything that already contained a lot of water. Unfortunately, the hummus powder that you can reconstitute just doesn't taste very good. Also, DBF is on a very different page when it comes to backpacking food. Last weekend, he packed the bear canister that I would end up having to carry. Unbeknownst to me, I carried three apples from a trailhead at 6,000 feet up to our camp above 12,000.  :o And that was on top of the non-instant hummus that I DID know about.

Agreed, but powdered hummus...  :(

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 08:41:45 PM »

They actually carried this in the hospital gift shop where my kids were in the NICU for a few months. It was often the only place open when we were coming or going so we sadly ate more from there than I'd like to remember. I really don't recommend the stuff ... weird texture and tang ;(

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 09:31:52 PM »
I am obsessed with "baking cakes" on coals inside of citrus peel.  Oranges are a good starter fruit because they are easy to hollow out.  Cut one end off, scoop out the flesh (careful not to tear the peel... reserve any juice you can squeeze out of the flesh (press through a sieve or just get your hands dirty and squeeze in your fists over a bowl).  Bring pre-measured and pre-mixed dry ingredients for the cake in a large ziploc... add the appropriate number of eggs and use the citrus juice for all or part of your liquid... mix right in the ziploc.  When it's well combined snip a corner off the bag and use it like an icing bag to fill the hollowed citrus 2/3 full.  Put the end back on the peel and wrap in 2 layers of foil by gathering foil from the bottom to the top then twisting a handle on top... make sure it's nice and tight to keep the citrus lid on.  Cake takes about  25 minutes to cook on the fire... after about 10 you can roll it around to heat all sides without worrying about too much spillage.

Chocolate cake in oranges is fantastic.  Also poppy seed in lemons.  Grapefruit cakes take longer to cook and are easier to burn.  I want to try doing a ginger cake of some sort in limes but haven't fully thought it out.

Also, you can make whipped cream in a mason jar by shaking heavy cream like you would to make butter, except stop before it becomes butter...

Do you make the cakes directly resting in the coals of a campfire? Or over coals in a charcoal grill?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 07:50:15 AM »
Do you make the cakes directly resting in the coals of a campfire? Or over coals in a charcoal grill?

right on the coals of the fire

between the foil and the citrus rind, there seems to be plenty of protection for the cake

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 12:20:36 AM »
You can also do thinly sliced potatoes plus all of the extras in foil packets on the fire. Yum!!

This is what we do. Also take pre-marinated lamb chops or other chicken/steak/fish and veggies for grilling. If lamb, we'll also grill up a bit of havarti No cook breakfasts and sandwiches for lunch. Not a fan of dishes while camping, so the more we can cook over the grill, the better!

CG, those cakes sound amazing! Would love to try this sometime.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 08:52:34 AM »
Freshofftgegrid.com is all camping recipes. I've only tried a veggie taco but it was good. Modern style stuff.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 08:25:30 PM »
I made this sweet potato and black bean chili a few days before our trip this weekend, froze it in ziplock bags and then cooked it on the camp stove with sausages (veg and real) on the grill.  So delicious.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2016, 08:46:25 PM »
This is what we do. Also take pre-marinated lamb chops or other chicken/steak/fish and veggies for grilling. If lamb, we'll also grill up a bit of havarti No cook breakfasts and sandwiches for lunch. Not a fan of dishes while camping, so the more we can cook over the grill, the better!

When you say grill up a bit of havarti, do you mean make grilled cheese sandwiches, or actually grill the cheese?

I do a thing where I take a slab of feta and drizzle it with olive oil and thinly slice some red onions over it, and grill it in a foil packet -- that is really good. I never thought to try it with other cheeses, though. Is this what you mean?

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2016, 09:39:54 PM »
I bought some haloumi cheese that's supposed to be good for grilling on kabobs. Haven't tried it yet.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:31 PM »
When you say grill up a bit of havarti, do you mean make grilled cheese sandwiches, or actually grill the cheese?

I do a thing where I take a slab of feta and drizzle it with olive oil and thinly slice some red onions over it, and grill it in a foil packet -- that is really good. I never thought to try it with other cheeses, though. Is this what you mean?

Yes, right on the grill, but Natasha just made me realize I meant haloumi! We slice it, drizzle a little olive oil and put it on the grill. So good w lamb chops!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2016, 11:46:29 PM »
Ok, that makes a lot more sense than havarti! Havarti has a pretty low melting point. :D

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »
I came back to this thread to see what brand cooler was mentioned. Then I went to amazon... those things cost as much as a fridge!  :o
I just ordered the 22 qt of this.  It's supposed to be a replica of Yeti, but half the price. It's backordered so I don't have it yet.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/roto-molded

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »

i do this with feta, garlic, oregano, and lemon rind - so good. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »
i do this with feta, garlic, oregano, and lemon rind - so good.

Lemon and oregano sounds good in there!

Offline Knoxious

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
I just ordered the 22 qt of this.  It's supposed to be a replica of Yeti, but half the price. It's backordered so I don't have it yet.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/roto-molded

That's supposed to be a good alternative to the Yeti, but they're having production problems and just cut their warranty from 7 years to 90 days.  :O

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »
that's quite a big difference!  We ended up buying a Coleman Xtreme for our trip and were VERY pleased.  It held the cold in so well that when I followed the advice above to bring frozen coffee that would warm to iced coffee, it did not.  I had to heat my slushied coffee to drink coffee.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »
that's quite a big difference!  We ended up buying a Coleman Xtreme for our trip and were VERY pleased.  It held the cold in so well that when I followed the advice above to bring frozen coffee that would warm to iced coffee, it did not.  I had to heat my slushied coffee to drink coffee.

Oh man! We usually have the iced coffee on the 2nd or 3rd day...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
I wish I'd noted the brand of the one we rented in Utah. I was pretty impressed. It was the giant size and we started out by putting 8 blocks of ice in it to precool it. But the next day the blocks of ice were still in good condition so we just stacked our stuff on top of them. Granted-- we had a cooler that was WAY bigger than we needed and we weren't in and out of it all that much (usually 2x/day) but we were in the desert and it was sitting in the back of the pick-up on a black liner Saturday through Thursday and there were still ice block remnants from Saturday on Thursday. Two of the days it was sitting in direct 104 degree temps all day-- the rest of the time was more like upper 80's in the afternoon. But still-- pretty impressed. I read a lot about dry ice, layering, and other techniques that I might try out sometime. But we aren't really car-camp-for- a-week folks and I own two coolers. So, usually I have a sacrificial cooler for things like drinks and snacks and a "do not touch on penalty of death" cooler that contains spoilable foods that must stay cool.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2016, 12:14:29 PM »
I wish I'd noted the brand of the one we rented in Utah. I was pretty impressed. It was the giant size and we started out by putting 8 blocks of ice in it to precool it. But the next day the blocks of ice were still in good condition so we just stacked our stuff on top of them. Granted-- we had a cooler that was WAY bigger than we needed and we weren't in and out of it all that much (usually 2x/day) but we were in the desert and it was sitting in the back of the pick-up on a black liner Saturday through Thursday and there were still ice block remnants from Saturday on Thursday. Two of the days it was sitting in direct 104 degree temps all day-- the rest of the time was more like upper 80's in the afternoon. But still-- pretty impressed. I read a lot about dry ice, layering, and other techniques that I might try out sometime. But we aren't really car-camp-for- a-week folks and I own two coolers. So, usually I have a sacrificial cooler for things like drinks and snacks and a "do not touch on penalty of death" cooler that contains spoilable foods that must stay cool.

Yes!!!! Opening the food cooler off limits entirely to my kids, they will stand there with the damn thing open for five minutes just shuffling around in it otherwise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2016, 08:25:02 PM »
OMG yes!!! 

And it was totally fine, Bonita.  It was the second day for us, too.  I had a cold-but-unfrozen coffee for the first day.  Plus we were not far from civilization and had to go pick up something the morning of the first day so we ended up getting lattes while we were out.  roughing it. ;)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Any recs for a camp stove? We have a basic two burner Coleman and -- as I mentioned in my other camping thread -- it's kind of hard to really cook two things at once on it. I'm considering buy something a little higher end. Thoughts?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2016, 02:25:41 PM »
A bunch of articles I read recommended the Camp Chef Everest.  And then I went to buy it and it was sold out everywhere so that kind of sold me on getting one.  :d  I actually had an issue where Backcountry had it showing in stock so I ordered that and a carry bag and then only the carry bag showed b/c it was, in fact, backordered there too.

We ended up borrowing a friend's camping stove (since ours didn't arrive on time) and they got the Everest back in stock on Amazon so I got it there.  Haven't used it yet but it's about the same size as the one we borrowed and I was cooking eggs and heating coffee at the same time on that.  REI has another Camp Chef model that's even larger and looks great, just pricier than we wanted.

The article that sold me:
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Stove-Reviews

a few more:
http://www.bestcampingstoves.com/
http://www.bestproducts.com/fitness/equipment/g1719/portable-camping-stoves/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 02:28:30 PM by diablita »

Offline Knoxious

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2016, 10:06:56 AM »
Might want to check into recycling the small propane containers before you buy a propane stove.  I shelved a car camping stove and bought a white gas unit because I couldn't figure out how to get rid of those canisters safely.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »
Might want to check into recycling the small propane containers before you buy a propane stove.  I shelved a car camping stove and bought a white gas unit because I couldn't figure out how to get rid of those canisters safely.

We are actually considering doing what my brother does, which is just bringing a regular grill-sized propane tank on car camping expeditions. We wind up using so many of the smaller containers, which I dislike. I have to take a look and see what he's using to connect to the bigger tank.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
the stove I bought offers an adapter that allows you to use the bigger tanks

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2016, 12:56:12 PM »
That's supposed to be a good alternative to the Yeti, but they're having production problems and just cut their warranty from 7 years to 90 days.  :O
Nope, they still have a 7 year warranty and a 90 day no hassle return policy.
Check the RTIC compare to Yeti tab.
But they are having production problems. I ordered mine in June and it is scheduled to ship in early September. If I really needed it soon, I'd have gone with something different.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2016, 06:42:53 AM »
Reading with interest as I am headed off camping this weekend!
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2016, 08:33:30 AM »
Ooh, what are you planning, Jan?

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
Any camping wine suggestions?  :D

Going away for a weekend with some ladies and some little kids in a pop-up trailer.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2016, 04:43:23 PM »

Going away for a weekend with some ladies and some little kids in a pop-up trailer.

I checked my copious notes from our last trip. Apparently, eight bottles = too many.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2016, 05:11:20 PM »
I checked my copious notes from our last trip. Apparently, eight bottles = too many.

:D   Noted.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2016, 07:50:58 AM »

pinot noir and valpolicella are reds that do well at a variety of temperatures including a bit chilly, so those are my go-to camping varieties

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »
I'm bumping this.  I need it for our first camping trip of the season -- LEAF (Lake Eden Arts Festival) festival car camping!  Hope it helps some of you too.

I'll add to it when we return.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 11:33:10 PM »
What are you making?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2018, 06:28:15 AM »
We're planning a potluck for Friday night.  I'm thinking I'll take hot dogs and soy sausage to cook over the fire (kids will love it) and sweet potato chili or a curry dish.  Someone from our group is bringing a big box of chicken from a beloved place in town.  Not sure about the rest.

There are food trucks galore at this thing.  (And a kettle corn stand that serves ginormous bags of corn that the adults always end up with after the kids buy it and can't make a dent.)  But we tire of their food and it's always $$$.  So starting off Friday night with a potluck seems like a good idea.  We've also told the men they're in charge of handling Sunday brunch somehow for mother's day.  I'm bringing little cans of cuvee and juices for mimosas but they'll have to work out the food.  This will probably involve someone driving off campus which is totally fine with us.  I'm betting breakfast will be scattered, smothered and covered.  ;)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »

I just reread this entire thread. Tons of great ideas in here. I STILL haven't made these cakes but really really want to!!!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 10:07:40 AM »

I just reread this entire thread. Tons of great ideas in here. I STILL haven't made these cakes but really really want to!!!

my nephew (13 yrs old) is coming to Newfoundland for a big camping adventure this summer... we are totally making cakes in oranges and whipped cream... I might teach him to make marshmallows from scratch when we are prepping for the trip

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
Good bump! I'm planning a pretty epic camping trips with some friends the week of July 4.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2018, 08:20:48 PM »
Please do report back!

I've decided to make veggie curry instead of the chili.  I think I've mentioned my friend Karen's spice business before -- I have one of her packets in the pantry and all the ingredients.  And everyone always raves.  If I want to bring rice I can just make it that morning and refrigerate in the cooler, right?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2018, 09:26:49 PM »
I think I've mentioned my friend Karen's spice business before

Is her stuff available online?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2018, 09:47:06 PM »

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2018, 03:30:49 PM »

I don't camp, but...something that comes in a box?  You can remove the bladder from the cardboard, which makes it easier to pack.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
My husband got a yeti (I think it's nuts but realize we are stuck car camping for at least the next few years given kids that weigh less than a packed pack). Anyway, we can now pack and cook just about anything. Tho still use either a fire or backpacking stove only ... he's been eyeing what looks to me like a travel stove top but so far I've held him off.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2018, 11:09:05 AM »
why are you holding him off teetime?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
Ooooh I want a new stove so badly! Mine is ancient! Older than me, I bet. I bought some heat friendly spray paint and had plans to at least touch it up a bit, 'cause it's fugly. It actually works perfectly fine, but everyone else's nice stoves give me envy.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2018, 09:22:15 PM »
I love the Camp Chef stove I bought last year

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
why are you holding him off teetime?

I guess for a few reasons. I just don't like stuff in general and my husband keeps adding to our gear (a garage for our already huge car camping tent, a tarp we still can't put up right, the friggin giant yeti that holds three things). (To be fair, he's also gotten us a few super helpful things I thought we didn't need.)

I miss the minimalism of backpacking. I hate unpacking the car after two days and feeling like it's nanook of the north's kayak. And at some point it feels like we might as well not camp, if we're going to basically set up home just in the woods.

But that's all a little dramatic. It's probably mostly that I'm lazy and don't want to drag out one more thing.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
Mia culpa. We camped this weekend. Back in May when I was talking about holding my husband off on getting a stove, he'd already bought one a few months earlier. It was great. So useful. It poured Friday night so wood was wet and when I wanted coffee early Sunday morning I just popped on the propane, perked 8 cups, and was so happy. It also made grilling sausages, etc. so easy.

Something new from this trip ... I had a giant green cabbage for some reason and just to see what would happen cored and sliced it (thick pieces), coated a large piece of tin foil with olive oil, sprinkled the cabbage with oil, salt, dried herb and some chicken broth (left over from cooking potatoes on the camping stove), and wrapped it up. Then just put it on the grate over the fire for a couple hours. It roasted perfectly, was a little charred and smokey but still had good firm texture.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2018, 07:53:08 AM »
Mia culpa. We camped this weekend. Back in May when I was talking about holding my husband off on getting a stove, he'd already bought one a few months earlier. It was great. So useful. It poured Friday night so wood was wet and when I wanted coffee early Sunday morning I just popped on the propane, perked 8 cups, and was so happy. It also made grilling sausages, etc. so easy.

Something new from this trip ... I had a giant green cabbage for some reason and just to see what would happen cored and sliced it (thick pieces), coated a large piece of tin foil with olive oil, sprinkled the cabbage with oil, salt, dried herb and some chicken broth (left over from cooking potatoes on the camping stove), and wrapped it up. Then just put it on the grate over the fire for a couple hours. It roasted perfectly, was a little charred and smokey but still had good firm texture.

oh, that cabbage sounds good

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2018, 04:38:30 AM »
I tried roasting cabbage once, and threw it out. Tasted so bad.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2018, 07:05:44 AM »
I love roasted cabbage.  I just made it last night.  So versatile.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2018, 07:58:52 AM »
we are packing up for a camping trip now...

on the way to the campground we drive past this highway-side bakery/diner... we will pick up turkey and dressing sandwiches on the way... this place roasts a fantastic turkey, the sandwiches are essentially turkey dinner between two slices of bread (well, no gravy, but cranberry sauce and stuffing are on the sandwich)... this is the base of christmas dinner hash... we'll sautee an onion is some oil & butter, then cube the sandwiches and fry it all up... cold green bean salad on the side

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »
we are packing up for a camping trip now...

on the way to the campground we drive past this highway-side bakery/diner... we will pick up turkey and dressing sandwiches on the way... this place roasts a fantastic turkey, the sandwiches are essentially turkey dinner between two slices of bread (well, no gravy, but cranberry sauce and stuffing are on the sandwich)... this is the base of christmas dinner hash... we'll sautee an onion is some oil & butter, then cube the sandwiches and fry it all up... cold green bean salad on the side

My brother has a little local grocery/juice bar/deli in Mass and the gobbler is a top seller (turkey breast, stuffing, cranberry mayo on sourdough). (I looked at weekly round up a few weeks ago to see how the sandwiches named after my kids were doing ... much less popular ;)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Camping food
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2018, 06:31:29 PM »
OK, so for the first leg of our vacation, we were camping with my brother and his family for two nights in Vermont.

He and I split the meals, and since we were arriving first, I volunteered for Friday dinner -- meatball parm subs. I asked him if he could bring a stove, because (as I mentioned upthread) mine is bogus. Also for the rest of the trip we were camping with other people who had a nice new stove and a bunch of other kitchen stuff that I wasn't bringing. He suggested we plan to grill instead, and I said sure.

I prepped my stuff, packed the coolers, hit the road. We were halfway there when I remembered I'd forgotten to take my meatballs out of the freezer and put them in the cooler. So, we stopped at a grocery store, and I got stuff to make meatballs fresh.

Got to the site, set up camp. Brother arrives -- he's late and in a tizzy, grabbed the wrong camping bin AND... forgot the grill! So now we have... the grill thing that comes on the firepit. Oh, and a propane tank with a ring attachment that we were returning to him from a previous weekend, and a not particularly seasoned cast iron griddle. Thus began the Weekend of Improv.

Friday dinner: meatball parm subs. Meatballs cooked on the griddle over the propane ring, then subs wrapped in foil and warmed over the coals.

Saturday breakfast: Sausages, bacon, and eggs on the griddle. (Did I mention we had no tongs?) Griddle was definitely better seasoned after the bacon.

Saturday lunch: We made a deep fryer out of a big pot and the propane ring. I had some zukes from the garden and, of course, breadcrumbs from the meatballs. Dredged in flour (I can't even remember why I packed flour!) and and egg. Delicious. We also went and bought a bag of fries.

Saturday dinner: fajitas on the griddle. burritos wrapped in foil over the coals. Can of beans literally heated in the can over the fire. Seriously keeping it classy at this point.

Sunday breakfast: french toast and sausage on the griddle. Griddle is in fine shape at this point! And really, who needs a stove!

ETA -- that's my bro manning the makeshift deep fryer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:44:49 PM by BonitaApplebum »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2018, 06:42:21 PM »
BA-- where/how do you do the cleanup for all of that? That's the part that always gets me.  Like how do you dispose of the fat from your fryer?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2018, 06:43:27 PM »
BA-- where/how do you do the cleanup for all of that? That's the part that always gets me.  Like how do you dispose of the fat from your fryer?

My brother put the pot in the back of his truck and brought it home with him!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
SO awesome!! 

Talk about making lemonade out of lemons.  Sounds like you had a great trip?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »
We did, thanks! Lots of great outdoor cooking the rest of the trip, too. We had seared ahi, gourmet burgers, pulled pork sandwiches, chili, crepes, fancy grilled cheeses, pierogies, dessert quesadillas, I can't even think what else. My people really love to eat and camp.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »
SO awesome!! 

Talk about making lemonade out of lemons.  Sounds like you had a great trip?

:D
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2018, 01:05:54 PM »
Those waffle irons look cool.

I have a regular pie iron like below -- it's great for both savory (grilled cheeses etc.) or sweet (apple "pies", PB & banana) type fillings.

+-SUPPORT US