Author Topic: Why the hype over roasted cauliflower?  (Read 10470 times)

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
Why the hype over roasted cauliflower?
« on: January 19, 2016, 01:48:47 PM »
Not a huge fan of this veggie but have read so much about it tasting delicious when roasted.

It just tasted like it's boring self, roasted.

I must be doing it wrong.
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
Re: Why the hype over roasted cauliflower?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »
we toss it with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika; we then roast it until it's a nutty brown color, and toss it into some cooked rice or pasta...  my husband and i like it very much, but i'm sure if it isn't your favorite, roasting mightn't make much of a difference.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
in general roasting should bring out a veggies natural sugars and make it taste sweeter. I cannot speak to cauliflower itself,  ecause like you, I think it is boring and isn't worth my time. I do think roasted broccoli (another one of my "not favorites") tastes slightly better roasted (slightly.) 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 03:08:37 PM »
I must be doing it wrong.

Are you following a recipe of some kind?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »
I like it roasted!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 03:46:14 PM »
I love it roasted.

Unfortunately my husband hates it prepared in any form.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:35:43 PM »
I put a small amount of olive oil in a ziploc with some seasoning I had laying around -- shook it up and put in on a sprayed foiled pan in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.  I then ate it as a side - not mixed into anything.

It was "meh".

Maybe a longer baking time would have helped. 
--RioG

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:14:13 PM »
Not sure if this is your thing, but roasted with garlic, olive oil, and anchovies is good.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 10:33:29 PM »
I put a small amount of olive oil in a ziploc with some seasoning I had laying around -- shook it up and put in on a sprayed foiled pan in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.  I then ate it as a side - not mixed into anything.

It was "meh".

Maybe a longer baking time would have helped.
I would try hotter and longer.  Maybe 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes, but really just eyeball it and take it out when it looks like the picture below.  Also, don't forget the parmesan.  It adds a lot of flavor.  Sprinkle it on during the last 10 minutes or so of cook time.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »
I love roasted cauliflower, partly because I hate wet cauliflower... I often toss it with some curry paste before roasting.

However, cauliflower is currently $7 CAD per head around here, so there won't be any roasted cauliflower for me in the near future.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »
I love roasted cauliflower, partly because I hate wet cauliflower... I often toss it with some curry paste before roasting.

However, cauliflower is currently $7 CAD per head around here, so there won't be any roasted cauliflower for me in the near future.
green, yellow or red curry paste? tell me more. NOw I wish I picked up a head of cauliflower  :grr:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 02:13:07 PM »
green, yellow or red curry paste? tell me more. NOw I wish I picked up a head of cauliflower  :grr:

any curry paste... we usually have some Patak's Vindaloo, Madras, or Tikka around... 1 tbsp curry paste, 1/2 tbsp oil mixed together (more or less depending on the size of the cauliflower)... rub over the chopped up cauliflower, roast until done

also, if you usually throw out the leaves from the base of your cauliflower, DON'T... these are amazing roasted

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
any curry paste... we usually have some Patak's Vindaloo, Madras, or Tikka around... 1 tbsp curry paste, 1/2 tbsp oil mixed together (more or less depending on the size of the cauliflower)... rub over the chopped up cauliflower, roast until done

also, if you usually throw out the leaves from the base of your cauliflower, DON'T... these are amazing roasted
thanks!

Offline ihop

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 03:30:37 PM »
I love it roasted but with curry powder, not paste.  I might need to experiment.  Yum!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »
why the hype?

probably for the same reason some people go gaga over roasted spaghetti squash: omg, it's just like spaghetti but it's low-cal and low-carb!

substitute spaghetti with potato, and there's your answer to the hype question, probably.

...cauliflower is currently $7 CAD per head around here...
have you seen this: Why a head of cauliflower suddenly costs 8 dollars in Canada

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
I love spaghetti squash but NEVER EVER EVER as a faux spaghetti, it really is not ANYTHING close to it when you eat it! I can eat it in many preparations but NOT with tomato sauce on top.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »
why the hype?

probably for the same reason some people go gaga over roasted spaghetti squash: omg, it's just like spaghetti but it's low-cal and low-carb!

substitute spaghetti with potato, and there's your answer to the hype question, probably.

have you seen this: Why a head of cauliflower suddenly costs 8 dollars in Canada

no surprise that the perfect storm of low oil, low dollar, and california drought is making produce expensive here... and yet, the big bag of U.S. spinach I buy at COSTCO is still $2.99...

what's funny about that article is that the prices they list as "normal" are really low compared to what I'm used to...  this time of year, cauliflower is normally $5-7 here... I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen cauliflower for $2.50/head over the last 12 years - twice... both times I bought a crapload of cauliflower and that's what we ate until it was gone (well, some got pickled for later)... english cucumbers grown in Canada regularly go for $4 each here in the winter, $1 each where my parents live... so unlike the rest of Canada, we've seen $8 cauliflower before... but because the cost of fuel is down, I think we're actually buffered a bit and are not seeing the major increases compared to "usual" costs

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »
I bought cauliflower at Costco today :D

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
I love spaghetti squash but NEVER EVER EVER as a faux spaghetti, it really is not ANYTHING close to it when you eat it! I can eat it in many preparations but NOT with tomato sauce on top.

I agree but it is amazing with pesto (which I think goes better with its natural squashiness).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:21:40 AM by Magic Microbe »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I make an avocado pesto sauce for it from the Oh She Glows blog.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »
I roasted some cauliflower with red curry paste for lunch, YUM!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 08:26:47 PM »
and I roasted some (with olive oil and paprika) with the green leaves from the bottom.  yum.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »
and I roasted some (with olive oil and paprika) with the green leaves from the bottom.  yum.

the leaves are good, aren't they!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 09:54:02 PM »
yes, very.  I never would have known!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 08:07:38 PM »
A head of cauliflower was on my sled when i dragged my blizzard groceries home today :D

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »
I roasted cauliflower last night with a bunch of curry sauce.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 11:26:36 AM »
At Thanksgiving I slathered a head of cauliflower with greek yogurt mixed with a little dijon mustard and garlic and baked the head till I could pierce it. Big hit, everyone raved.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 05:50:44 PM »
At Thanksgiving I slathered a head of cauliflower with greek yogurt mixed with a little dijon mustard and garlic and baked the head till I could pierce it. Big hit, everyone raved.
Interesting!
--RioG

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »
Interesting!

It probably would have been even better with seasoned and oiled bread crumbs but I was looking for lower calorie :D
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

+-SUPPORT US