Author Topic: Bread Baking HELP  (Read 7958 times)

Offline joan

• The Runners
Bread Baking HELP
« on: October 01, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
Someone please help me! 

I wanted to make this bread from Disney World for my stepdaughters.  There are numerous recipes out there --- all close to the same but with variations.

An example -
http://www.thedisneychick.com/2010/06/sweet-bread-kona-cafe-polynesian-resort.html

Basically the recipe says:
1.  Combine warm water, pineapple juice concentrate, margarine and eggs.  Mix with the paddle attachment.
2. Combine dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.  Add to liquid ingredients and mix with dough hook/your hands.
3. Mix until dough pulls away from sides of bowl...................(I understand the rest)

My questions:
1.  I don't have a stand mixer.  I'm not sure how long to knead the dough?  I know some breads require a good amount of kneading and others don't.  I don't know what to do in this case.

2.  A third recipe says to initially put the yeast in w/ the warm water and pineapple concentrate (obviously the sugar in the juice would be the food for the yeast).  Should I mix in the yeast w/ the liquids and then mix the rest of the ingredients in, or combine the wet and dry ingredients as the above 2 recipes call out?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Bread Baking HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »
joan, that's a pretty helpful link actually... use a whisk to combine your wet ingredients, then stir your dry ones in with a wooden spoon... stir consistently in one direction, add the dry stuff in batches, combining between additions (fully saturate the dry), then keep stirring until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and looks apprx like the photo...

it looks to me from the recipe that you don't knead it

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 12:00:03 PM »
I have to laugh at the "divide dough into 10 oz portions"... what if you have 41 or 38 oz of dough because of variations in your ingredients?  it should just say divide into 4 equal portions :)

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »
Thanks so much caribougrrl!!  The directions did seem easy, but I was nonetheless nervous.  I know overworking dough is bad, but I also hear that not kneading the right away (or enough) is bad.  I wasn't sure if the stand mixer dough hook was supposed to replicate kneading.  Anyway, thanks for your reassurance.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 02:41:08 PM »
regarding the yeast, if you have "instant" active dry yeast, put it in with the dry... if you have active dry yeast that does not say instant, put it in with warm pineapple juice + water and let it sit until it's foamy on top.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
kneading helps develop the elasticity of bread... well-developed gluten helps bread hold a shape... generally it's airier/lighter than a bread that's not kneaded... see how her loaves in the link you provided look flat on top?  that's because it's not kneaded enough for it to hold a ball shape

kneading it won't wreck the bread, but it will change the texture of the final product

Offline Miss

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
How did it come out?
"carpe fucking diem"

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »
I want to know how this came out as well!

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »
I will let you know tomorrow; due to numerous reasons, baking this bread was delayed until tonight!!

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 07:09:27 PM »
Well, I don't know what happened.  It was a complete disaster; and I ended up throwing it all out after it rose the first time.  The mixture was overly sticky, and not thick/viscous enough.  It was CRAZY sticky.  No matter how much flour I used, it kept sticking to everything.  I added the ingredients in the amounts listed.  Maybe the yeast didn't work correctly (I used active yeast in warm pineapple juice/water -- maybe the yeast was in the liquid too long.........for 40 min instead of 5 b/c I had to go run to pick up more flour).  I was really disappointed.  If anyone has any ideas of what what wrong, please let me know!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 07:37:30 PM »
Well, I don't know what happened.  It was a complete disaster; and I ended up throwing it all out after it rose the first time.  The mixture was overly sticky, and not thick/viscous enough.  It was CRAZY sticky.  No matter how much flour I used, it kept sticking to everything.  I added the ingredients in the amounts listed.  Maybe the yeast didn't work correctly (I used active yeast in warm pineapple juice/water -- maybe the yeast was in the liquid too long.........for 40 min instead of 5 b/c I had to go run to pick up more flour).  I was really disappointed.  If anyone has any ideas of what what wrong, please let me know!
What did the yeast in the juice look like?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 07:25:10 AM »
What did the yeast in the juice look like?

It initially just looked liked murkier juice, but then it was foamy on top.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 07:29:43 AM »
when I bake with sourdough starter, I am always surprised by how sticky it is... maybe sticky is the way it's supposed to be BUT you would think the recipe would warn you...  huh

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
when I bake with sourdough starter, I am always surprised by how sticky it is... maybe sticky is the way it's supposed to be BUT you would think the recipe would warn you...  huh

I initially thought that.  However, it was crazy sticky.  I have made tons of pies, and pizza crust (not as often), so I've experienced sticky dough.   However, this was CRAZY sticky.  I added tons of flour to my hands, and it still took 3 min to wash the dough off.  (a good 5-10 min to get it to unstick to the cutting board w/ hot water).  I could NOT get it to form into a ball; instead it kind of flowed like molasses.  I added a good 1/2 cup of flour or more to the table/hands and it still would NOT form into anything other than a big, sticky mess.  UGH.  So f&cking frustrated.  I took an hour off work to make it in time for dinner.  I ran to the store to buy eggs (the girls had used all 10 of them during the course of the day they were home --- so I had to buy more).  All this effort just to throw everything in the trash!!!!

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 08:43:36 AM »
:(

On the bright side, it's an excuse to go back to Disney World!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
I wonder if it was just a bad recipe?

google came up with this different one:
http://www.thedisneychef.com/2014/01/kona-cafe-sweet-bread.html
this one had one useful comment that the recipe came out well, the other one had zero comments.

In my googling i found this awesomely delicious looking recipe:
http://www.backyardbite.com/2013/09/how-to-make-hawaiian-sweet-bread-rolls/
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 07:52:21 PM »
I wonder if it was just a bad recipe?

google came up with this different one:
http://www.thedisneychef.com/2014/01/kona-cafe-sweet-bread.html
this one had one useful comment that the recipe came out well, the other one had zero comments.

In my googling i found this awesomely delicious looking recipe:
http://www.backyardbite.com/2013/09/how-to-make-hawaiian-sweet-bread-rolls/

Thanks for the recipes :)  I had seen the Disneychef one already.  It was much like the one I used (a little different).  I think I will e-mail that lady (she's a blogger; often they like feedback) and see if she has any tips.  I noticed she listed 2 TBSP of yeast, while other recipes listed 2 tsp. (the recipe I used was on several sites).  Next time I try, I'll try on a day when I'm not rushed.  I did so some other bread making research, and did figure out some things I could improve upon (for instance, I put the yeast in too hot water).  Thanks again!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 08:03:06 AM »
Thanks for the recipes :)  I had seen the Disneychef one already.  It was much like the one I used (a little different).  I think I will e-mail that lady (she's a blogger; often they like feedback) and see if she has any tips.  I noticed she listed 2 TBSP of yeast, while other recipes listed 2 tsp. (the recipe I used was on several sites).  Next time I try, I'll try on a day when I'm not rushed.  I did so some other bread making research, and did figure out some things I could improve upon (for instance, I put the yeast in too hot water).  Thanks again!
Please do try again! Baking bread is not hard, for basic breads. Make sure you buy fresh yeast and 2 tbs vs 2 tsp are VERY different. And the flour, make sure it was the right flour, the gluten content varies from different flours (cake, AP, etc). I use warm tap water for yeast. If I lived closer i would make it with you :D I miss baking bread and grain free bread is really just ok, but edible, but not as exciting :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »
The first bread that was my foray into bread making was this one
http://www.ahintofhoney.com/2011/04/rosemary-olive-oil-bread/
it was very easy and every Xmas someone gifts me a rosemary plant and i wanted ot use it one year.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 03:45:40 PM »
The first bread that was my foray into bread making was this one
http://www.ahintofhoney.com/2011/04/rosemary-olive-oil-bread/
it was very easy and every Xmas someone gifts me a rosemary plant and i wanted ot use it one year.

I just made this!

It was tasty, though a bit denser than I expected (didn't rise in the oven at all). I think I added too much flour during the kneading.

+-SUPPORT US