Author Topic: Pickles?  (Read 9294 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Pickles?
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:22:39 PM »
Hit me up with your favorite pickle recipes. 15 pickling cukes coming in my CSA share this week. The full share is getting 33! I think we get more in two weeks.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Pickles?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 05:56:24 PM »
what can you do with 15 cucumbers? pickling cucumbers are usually quite small aren't tjey?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:17:47 PM »
I have not seen them yet, I can ask.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »
you might want to before you get all psyched for pickles :D 

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »
i pickle any and every thing: cauliflower, radishes, carrots, green beans, cucumbers, garlic, zucchini, etc., etc.

clean, trim, and blanch your veggies.
place in a sterilized glass jar.
in a saucepan, combine 1 T kosher salt, 1 c vinegar, 1 c sugar, 1 t mustard seed, 1 t peppercorns, 1 bay leaf (you could add fennel, cumin, and/or dill seeds, too, if you want).  bring to a boil, stir until the sugar dissolves.  pour over the veggies.  seal, let cool, and refrigerate. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »
Will report on the size of the cukes tomorrow when I pick them up at the farm. No one responded to my FB questions about them.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 10:55:16 PM »
You make that sound so easy I might could try it, witchy.  How do you like to sterilize your glass jars?  Is that part really complicated?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 06:28:19 AM »
You make that sound so easy I might could try it, witchy.  How do you like to sterilize your glass jars?  Is that part really complicated?
I put them in the oven at 225 for 10 minutes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 07:01:50 AM »
4-6 inches for the cuke size.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 07:03:13 AM »
wow, does the oven think work at that temp?  i need to do that.  we used to use the dishwasher but now we dont have one so i boil them.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 08:13:39 AM »
wow, does the oven think work at that temp?  i need to do that.  we used to use the dishwasher but now we dont have one so i boil them.
The recipes I saw for jam said to boil or put them in the oven. You put the lids in the last few minutes OR wash with soap and water.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »
I've never tried pickling because I'm terrified I'm going to poison my family.

You're supposed to do something with the bottle after it's filled, right?  boiling?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 10:32:07 PM »

You're supposed to do something with the bottle after it's filled, right?  boiling?

The results of pickling are so acid that nothing that survived the process could every thrive in the end product.  No worries. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 06:11:17 AM »

Pickles seem to be fine. DH is concerned about me canning other foods, but i will this summer and my neighbor was a big canner and the husband has said i can borrow whatever i want. Will make a couple pickle recipes today and report back :)

The jam i made i did not "can" and just put in the fridge, but we should be thru it in 3-4 weeks. I want to make raspberry an black raspberry jam so i may try canning them.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 07:58:18 AM »
dh makes the best pickles.  none last year because we moved.   we're still eating 2012 pickles and not dead yet!  dill and bread and butter.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 11:40:44 AM »
Dill pickles are so easy and as long as you stick to established recipes, you should have no problems. For crispier pickles, cut off the blossom ends and I usually put the spears in a salted ice water bath for a little bit before canning.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
Thanks! Will try a couple recipes today. :)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »
what did the cukes look like meri?  enough for a batch?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »
what did the cukes look like meri?  enough for a batch?
20 pickles, maybe 4-5 inches?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »
I made a dill batch and a bread and butter batch. Neither said how long to wait before consumption. I filled 4 quart Ball jars and had 3 cukes left over.

+-SUPPORT US