Author Topic: Your newly discovered food or dish  (Read 5181 times)

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
Your newly discovered food or dish
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:11:32 AM »
I came across a recipe for muffuletta on Fbs and so I made it for my guests a few weeks ago. I discovered that I don't have to make my own olive salad and that the jarred stuff is delicious!

Muffuletta sandwiches are amazing and get better a day after. It's a great do ahead picnic food! Great with red wine or beer!

Yours?
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Your newly discovered food or dish
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:26:46 AM »
Chinese tea eggs.  My new favourite weekday breakfast.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
We've been making tomato and asparagus salad for several months.  Usually also with spinach. Sometimes with avocado.  Sometimes with feta; sometimes with blue cheese.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cherry-tomato-asparagus-salad

This weekend I tried a puttanesca recipe that also had capers in it.  Yum. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/puttanesca-sauce-recipe.html  (although I used diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, and fresh grape tomatoes, and anchovy paste instead of anchovies.  In a pinch, we've used Fish Sauce.)
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

siamesedream

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 01:01:10 AM »
I've been trying several different Thai dishes from a local restaurant, it's very good.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 10:23:45 PM »
Loved puttanesca. Unfortunately, my family did not. It's great as topping for toasted, buttered slices of baguettes if you don't want to eat pasta.

Hmm..siamesedream, I made some chicken green curry last Sunday from a jar of green curry seasoning and a can of coconut milk. I poured the coconut milk in a big sauce pot, added 2 tbsps brown sugar, simmer for 3 mins, then added chicken thighs (seasoned with salt and pepper and garlic) simmered for about 10 mins before addind a sweet potato cubed. Simmered again for 10 minutes, then added cubed and salted egg plant. Simmer for another 10 (I know it sounds like it's never going to get done). The throw in torn thai basil when eggplant is tender and cooked through. Then I seasoned it with lime peel and juice before serving.  I used cauliflower "rice" instead of jasmine rice. It too, got some lime juice, and then chopped cilantro. Oh, it's sooo good!!

My newly discovered food is the cauliflower "rice". Very simple. cut up a head of cauliflower, process to resemble rice, then blanch in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and serve instead of rice with any dish that has sauce like the green curry I described above.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

siamesedream

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »
Loved puttanesca. Unfortunately, my family did not. It's great as topping for toasted, buttered slices of baguettes if you don't want to eat pasta.

Hmm..siamesedream, I made some chicken green curry last Sunday from a jar of green curry seasoning and a can of coconut milk. I poured the coconut milk in a big sauce pot, added 2 tbsps brown sugar, simmer for 3 mins, then added chicken thighs (seasoned with salt and pepper and garlic) simmered for about 10 mins before addind a sweet potato cubed. Simmered again for 10 minutes, then added cubed and salted egg plant. Simmer for another 10 (I know it sounds like it's never going to get done). The throw in torn thai basil when eggplant is tender and cooked through. Then I seasoned it with lime peel and juice before serving.  I used cauliflower "rice" instead of jasmine rice. It too, got some lime juice, and then chopped cilantro. Oh, it's sooo good!!

My newly discovered food is the cauliflower "rice". Very simple. cut up a head of cauliflower, process to resemble rice, then blanch in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and serve instead of rice with any dish that has sauce like the green curry I described above.

:drooling-5:

I like my Thai food spicy and this restaurant makes it SPICY.

I really like basil chicken.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 02:58:22 PM »
ETA - OMG!  I posted this before reading the whole thread and didn't even see this:

I made this last night and ate a big bowl of it... So good!  I am having it again for dinner tonight, probably with an egg or two.  I might make this a weekly thing and may or may not make variations on it (any suggestions are welcome.)

Indian Pineapple Cauliflower Rice

Prep time: 10-15 min     Cook time: 15 min    Makes: 3-4 side dish servings
Ingredients for Indian Pineapple Cauliflower Rice

1 head of cauliflower
    1/4 of a fresh pineapple (or 1/2 cup unsweetened canned pineapple)
    1/2 of an onion
    2 garlic cloves
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    1/4 cup dried currants
    1 Tbsp curry powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 large handful of cilantro
    Coconut oil or fat of choice
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions for Indian Pineapple Cauliflower Rice

Rice the cauliflower in a food processor. Set aside.
    Dice the pineapple into small pieces (hint: big chunks are fine but cutting it to a smaller size is a bit more appealing visually).
    Dice the onion and garlic finely. Chop the cilantro.
    In a large skillet over medium heat, melt a large spoonful of coconut oil.  Saute the onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, almonds, currants, curry powder and cinnamon. Stir until combined well.
    Increase the heat to medium-high, add another spoonful of coconut oil and dump in the cauliflower. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until it’s softened but not mushy.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the pineapple and cilantro. Check flavor and add salt / pepper to taste.

(Pic from website, not my picture)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »
I vacillate on if i like cauliflower rice or not.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 05:33:46 PM »
romanesco.  So pretty.  I have never seen it in the USA.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »

I've never seen that here either.  There are a couple of mathematicians in my family who would be all over this.

If you're feeling tripped out while looking at it, that's because it is a natural approximation of a fractal. In fact, the spirals on the head of romanesco follow the Fibonacci pattern — so toss one into your next stir-fry if you really want to impress that math geek friend of yours.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 06:19:35 PM »
I vacillate on if i like cauliflower rice or not.

I've only made it once, but damn it was good.  Ate the whole batch in one sitting and suffered the consequences. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »
We get it here! I love it, so beautiful.

Had escarole tonight, first time cooking it.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

+-SUPPORT US