Author Topic: bechamel sauce  (Read 8140 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
bechamel sauce
« on: April 22, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »
I always thought I hated white sauces.  It might turn out that I hate poorly made white sauces.

I made a bechamel (despite my reluctance) on the weekend for a recipe, seasoned it well with fresh nutmeg, and holy hell I want to eat it on everything now.  I think I might be a little bit in love.

But, other than eating it with a spoon or using it in baked pasta dishes, what the hell can I use as an excuse to make it again?  What do you do with it?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: bechamel sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »
Not a fan, myself. But, you can use it anywhere you want. Gratins, spooned over steamed veggies, add cheese and make a cheese sauce (mornay), souflee, add to soup and make it cream of whatever, chicken cordon bleu, pot pie, build a pizza on it, croque monsieur... I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

This looks like a good list: http://frugalhausfrau.com/recipes-analyzed-for-cost-nutrition/forgotten-arts/white-sauces-what-to-do-with-them/

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
Kentucky Hot Brown with Mornay sauce.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:16:54 PM »
my irish family members are really into mornay sauce on baked white fish (and it's damned tasty).

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »
Hate, hate, hate béchamel.  I grew up having it on fish and on cauliflower.  yuk.  It ruined the fish and the cauliflower.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:00:35 AM »
Hate, hate, hate béchamel.  I grew up having it on fish and on cauliflower.  yuk.  It ruined the fish and the cauliflower.

I don't think I ever even had until I was in my 30s.  Growing up, butter was out of fashion, and we were drinking powdered milk because it was cheaper then.  Probably not going to make a nice one with that.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 04:05:06 AM »
Spinach Florentine (instead of cheese) with poached eggs

Corned beef hash

Pasta stirred into sauteed vegetables.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 07:30:23 AM »
I don't think I ever even had until I was in my 30s.  Growing up, butter was out of fashion, and we were drinking powdered milk because it was cheaper then.  Probably not going to make a nice one with that.

It may just have been that it is not something that a 5-15 year old would appreciate. We did have the real thing, for sure.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »

I grew up HATING white sauce, especially on cauliflower.  And I was resistant to making any but decided that since it was my first time through, I should follow the recipe.  And it was a beautiful sauce.  The big difference compared to how my mom made white sauce was actually cooking the flour before adding milk... googling some recipes since then leads me to believe this is not necessarily traditional for bechamel.

I was using a Batali recipe, so made his bechamel: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/bechamel-sauce-recipe.html

I was not expecting to like it, but I did.  Years ago, when I was just starting to become adventurous with food, I had a really really good fettucine alfredo... I've never had a good alfredo since.  Now I'm guessing the first one spoiled me for mediocre alfredo.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 07:41:12 AM »
I don't see me using it where I wouldn't normally use a sauce at all... and despite my revelation that white sauce might be okay, I'm not ready to accept dairy and fish together... but lots of other good suggestions here folks.  Thanks!

LilyLily

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 07:52:15 AM »
I use béchamel when I make lasagna as one of the layers in addition to the red sauce.

I'm surprised on the cauliflower/bechamel hate.  Add some Gruyere cheese into the béchamel and it's divine over cauliflower.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 08:41:10 PM »
Yes, put in some cheese, bake cauliflower covered in sauce and breadcrumbs! !

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »
My mom used to put chopped eggs in bechamel and serve it over toast.  :whoa: I think that's the only way I've had it that doesn't involve cheese, and I'm not a fan. In fairness, that could have a lot to do with my mom's recipe and the ratio of flor to milk because she made it pretty thick.

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 02:29:52 AM »
I grew up HATING white sauce, especially on cauliflower.  And I was resistant to making any but decided that since it was my first time through, I should follow the recipe.  And it was a beautiful sauce.  The big difference compared to how my mom made white sauce was actually cooking the flour before adding milk... googling some recipes since then leads me to believe this is not necessarily traditional for bechamel.

I was using a Batali recipe, so made his bechamel: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/bechamel-sauce-recipe.html

I was not expecting to like it, but I did.  Years ago, when I was just starting to become adventurous with food, I had a really really good fettucine alfredo... I've never had a good alfredo since.  Now I'm guessing the first one spoiled me for mediocre alfredo.

That's the way I've always made it, I'm not a huge fan but sometimes a good cheesy white sauce over baked broccoli or cauliflower nom

+-SUPPORT US