Author Topic: My requisite Boston report  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
My requisite Boston report
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:26:36 PM »
I typed all of this out on my phone, so apologies for typos.

I can’t really add anything about the weather. It was the worst weather I’ve ever run in, simply because if I’d been home I would have run inside or not at all. But, this was Boston. 

I was more freaked out by waiting at the start than the actual race, because I was in Wave 2 and had to sit in the Village until 9:40. So on Saturday when it was obvious the weather wasn’t going to change, I went to target to scour their clearance racks for anything that would keep me warm. I looked ridiculous in my six layers on top and two on bottom. I had taken an extra pair of shoes to wear and throw away, but my dry shoes only lasted until the start.

Weather be damned, I was just thrilled to be there.  After years of injuries and weather problems that kept me from qualifying, my goal was to run a decent time and really just take it all in. I don’t have mile-by-mile recaps because I had sort of just thrown my plan out the window by Monday morning.

I started out very controlled and conservative and focused on keeping my pace even. I found some guys to run with and we kept a pretty good rhythm until we got separated. For the first few miles, I thought the weather wasn’t too awful, and if it stayed like that, I’d be ok. But....we were still all in a pack, so the worst was yet to come.

From 4-11 ish, the rain abated some, and while it wasn’t comfortable, I was ok. I wore capris (dumb), a fitted Lulu wicking shirt, another fitted Lulu half-zip (also dumb), and two pairs of gloves. I don’t have anything waterproof that is breathable, so I just prayed for the best.

At 11, the rain started again. I was hopeful at one point that it was just rain off of the leaves that were blown by a huge gust of wind, but then I realized most of the trees don’t have leaves on them. The next five miles were sort of a blur as I tried to find people to run and work with. I focused on trying to remember to drink without getting my gloves even wetter, which was impossible. I focused on getting my gels out and when I would take them, just to keep my mind off the rain and wind. I also had had to pee since before I started, but there was no way I could strip down and then get dressed again.

I heard the Wellesley girls around mile 12, which brought me some hope and a smile. Through 16, I was still actually running my race plan pace. During the first 4, I had decided to try the plan and see where it would put me. Then I got cold. Really, really cold. My chest and stomach were ice cold, water was flying off my gloves, and my breathing was labored. At one point I slowed down to see why I was bleeding from my knee, because I didn’t remember falling. It was just a stream of rainwater flowing down my leg.

But I was ok. I told myself “you only have the Army 10-miler left.” And then I hit the hills. I powered up the mile 16 and 18 hills the best I could, and was able to regain my pace at mile 19. Then came Newton. All I could think was how on earth I ran those hills so much faster in 2011. I saw the sign that Ellen mentioned and knew I was going to finish.

By 22 my only goal was to finish and not walk because I wouldn’t start running again. My legs were numb and my hips felt like they were fused together.   I looked for Kevin Beck at 23, but nothing. I then looked for my friends, but nothing. I would finally barely see them right before 25. I slogged along and although I became more and more demoralized as probably 200 women passed me, I never thought of quitting. I looked up and saw the Citgo sign, which I had somehow missed in 2011. I swear I thought the sky had cleared and the sun was coming out.

When Jim, Roger, and I were walking to Jim’s car on Sunday, I had noticed the three blue lines on Hereford, so for the last mile I focused on those because I knew they’d lead me to the finish line. Right on Hereford, left on Boylston, and I saw the finish. I tried to pick up my pace, but probably looked like I was running with my shoelaces tied together. I finally crossed the finish line and started crying.

Then came the death march. I’ve never been so cold, miserable, and emotional in my life.  I was shaking so convulsively that a kind volunteer insisted on wheeling me to the medic tent to get warm.  Once I was able to use my phone to text my friend, she said she was on the T, so I gathered my things and headed out to find her. Except I had no idea where she would be or how to get to her. I wandered around aimlessly for maybe another hour in the cold and rain, still wearing my soaking wet capris, shoes, and jog bra. The nurse had bagged up my other clothes, so I was trying to hang on to those while keeping my Mylar blankets around myself. After numerous twists and turns I somehow ended up in the John Hancock building, crying to my husband that I had absolutely no idea where I was or how I was going to get to my friend. It was after 5 before I found finally got a shower and fluids other than the 10 sips I’d taken on the course.

Recovery has been weird. The labored breathing has continued through today, but my inhaler is helping with that. I’ve also been retaining water; I had Fred Flintstone feet until just this afternoon. My legs feel pretty good but my sleep and appetite have been all over the place.

Overall I’m thrilled with my time, as I was only 10 minutes off what I was confident I could hit. 3:10 was my goal and 3:05 was my stretch. My stomach didn’t act up and my nutrition was on point. This isn’t my last marathon, but it’s probably my last Boston, at least for the near-term. It’s hard for me logistically with my job, and it’s a ton of pressure.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
Re: My requisite Boston report
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »
I am incredibly impressed by your race and your talent, Rochey.  Terrific effort in brutal conditions, congratulations!
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:02:55 AM »
Ah, what a great report rochey :)  congrats.

But I'm mad at your friends for not being right exactly at the finish line for you :fiery:

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:10:26 AM »
Congrats on the tough as nails run and finish, you did so well! 
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »
You are a tough lady!    What an amazing effort!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 08:41:41 AM »
 :bow2:

After you hit the finish in Boston, it absolutely sucks.  You walk and walk and then walk some more.  MAB was not where they were supposed to be either so I had to determine that maybe they would be at the Park Plaza Hotel, and I didn't know where that even was, so had to look at a map and ask people and make my way there and then take the elevator up just so I could get my bag with my phone so I could call an Uber which didn't have any available so made my way back to the front of the hotel and the doorman got me and 30000 other people a cab so I could get to my car in Brookline so I could drive home.  I got home at 7:30 in my wet clothes.  By the time I actually sat in the driver's seat at 7 pm I had to blast the heat because my arms and hands were uncontrollably shaking.    So I get you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »
Oh man, Rochey.  You are my hero...as always.  GREAT effort and nice race report.  I'm sorry it was so painful but love how you persevered.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »
Super impressive effort. I'm sorry post-race sucked so hard! I continue to be blown away by these race reports. The weather was just brutal on Monday.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
If you were only 10 minutes from goal, you did really well.  Impressive!

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »
My (not so) requisite amazement at your achievement in finishing Boston in that god awful weather.   :bow2:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
You say you won't run Boston again.  Well, you really don't have to.  Your 2018 effort was probably as good as it will ever get.  Not as a matter of clock time, because under better conditions, you could almost certainly do better.  But racing is more than just digits.  Racing is really about grit as far as I'm concerned, and you got it.  Good report, great performance. 

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »
Yup, what everyone else said.  You kicked ass under atrocious conditions.  Great job!
chqm8= 'checkmate'

Offline cherietree

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • What we think, we become
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
 :heartbeat:
Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »
Great job. The slog from the finish line to the bag check is truly horrible and takes forever anyway. You did amazing!
One of the guys I know has come down with pneumonia post race.

Offline Schrödinger’s Bat

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
I'm hypothermic just reading that.  :snowball:

Congratulations. :)

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 09:33:20 PM »
 :bow2: :bouquet: :bow2:
Great effort. :runner: