Author Topic: Quarantine food thread  (Read 24759 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Quarantine food thread
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2020, 07:34:44 PM »
Oh man.  Sorry RA :(

I made a big pot of vegetable soup from scratch.  I never make soup because until recently they wanted chicken soup and I couldn't taste it as I went.  This turned out great - basically most of the CSA share in a pot.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2020, 12:47:07 AM »
Yesterday was pork verde. Today was multi-bean and ham hock soup. Great leftover stuff. Lots of baking going on here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2020, 06:38:00 AM »
yesterday, we had a pile of tomatoes that needed using so made a great big fresh salsa... so, tacos for dinner

we have dill that needs using, so today I am likely going to dill-infuse some yogurt and set it to drain... if it's thick enough by evening will get some smoked salmon out of the freezer, otherwise have that tomorrow

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2020, 07:39:41 AM »
We do a lot of heavy veggie soups here.  Last night, we did roasted sweet potato and black bean soup.  I did throw in some leftover roasted chicken.  Heavy on cilantro and hot pepper. It was fab.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2020, 08:12:46 AM »
We do a lot of heavy veggie soups here.  Last night, we did roasted sweet potato and black bean soup.  I did throw in some leftover roasted chicken.  Heavy on cilantro and hot pepper. It was fab.
That sounds good.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2020, 08:16:46 AM »
I didn't think to stock up on smoked salmon and put it in the freezer.  Good idea!  Just bought one pack as a treat but I may get more on the next order.

I made a big batch of vegetable soup last night with vegetables from the CSA box.  It was delicious.  I'll make matzo balls later and the fam can have deli-style matzo ball soup.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2020, 08:22:45 AM »
I made sweet potato black bean chili, it was very good, old favorite of a recipe.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2020, 10:20:31 AM »
We made cod last night. Bought a large bag of frozen fillets and they’ve been really good. Last night was a simple Bittman recipe—pan fried with sauce from cilantro, ginger, garlic, sherry, stock, chili paste and soy sauce. Will be a new staple for us. Served with stir fried ginger garlic broccoli with ponzu. So good!!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »
I should send bon appetit money. I seem to almost exclusively make their recipes lately.

I made this for dinner last night. I added an avocado and some tofu to make it more substantial but I bet it would go great with fish.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/charred-kale-with-citrus

I've been waiting for it to rain, which it is and will either make veggie soup with dumplings or tacos for dinner.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2020, 11:13:14 AM »
I really want to make mac and cheese but I decided this way too late and there is no pasta to be found anywhere (and I don't stock pasta in my house) so I guess I wont be having that.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2020, 11:58:42 AM »
I made DD lemon cranberry scones.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »
I think I am going to make this: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2017/12/23/blackout-banana-bread/

Banana bread freezes well. I've found the recipes on this blog to be hit or miss (and when they miss, they REALLY miss), but hoping for the best.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2020, 10:41:15 AM »
I think I am going to make this: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2017/12/23/blackout-banana-bread/

Banana bread freezes well. I've found the recipes on this blog to be hit or miss (and when they miss, they REALLY miss), but hoping for the best.
let me know. I find her recipes hit or miss.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »
Well, I have no pickles. So that's a bummer.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2020, 03:54:50 PM »
let me know. I find her recipes hit or miss.

This one - https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2018/04/23/makeout-chocolate-chip-cookie-pie/ - I mean I knew better. Chickpeas (or black beans) have no business in a baked good. But holy  :vomit:

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2020, 06:18:28 PM »
We've been operating here without water for the past few days.  Pinhole leak in my infernal copper piping.  My microwaveable meals have been a godsend.  By the grace of youtube plumbing videos, we got the water back on in most of the house this afternoon, so we'll be eating normal food soon. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2020, 07:28:36 PM »
Well, I have no pickles. So that's a bummer.

what do you use pickles for?  I never buy them.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2020, 08:27:48 PM »
what do you use pickles for?  I never buy them.
The two main things are in tuna or chicken salad sandwiches, and just served alongside other sandwiches (especially grilled cheese). But sometimes we just eat them on their own. Oh and always with pulled pork or any kind of bbq.

I make them in the summer, but cucumber season is still way off.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »
love pickles in tuna salad.  any chance you have capers?

I may finally have to try my hand at pickling this year.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2020, 09:55:24 PM »
love pickles in tuna salad.  any chance you have capers?

I may finally have to try my hand at pickling this year.
We do!! That’s a good adult sub but my kids don’t dig them.

+-SUPPORT US