Author Topic: Quarantine food thread  (Read 24778 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Quarantine food thread
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2020, 11:43:18 AM »
Yesterday we did lamb biryani in the crockpot (variation of this chicken biryani recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-chicken-rice-biryani-228935). We will eat leftovers today for dinner, probably freeze the rest for lunches down the road.

Yum, this looks good! I'm short a few ingredients but I have a freezer full of lamb, so I'll try this sometime in the future.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
I have a bunch of veggies that need to be used up from the 13th.

Yesterday I used the broccolini & purple sprouting broccoli in the dish I posted in the sunday night thread.

I also have a bunch of broccoli rabbe I need to use so planning to make pasta with that, carmelized onions, and some white beans I cooked & froze a few weeks ago.

I also have some gai lan that still looks ok but needs eating. Maybe I'll make a stirfry for everyone for lunch today. I used up some of it with the last of the ramen broth from last week.

I'm making focaccia to go with the pasta and also another batch of bagels today. I scored 5lbs of ap flour recently, thankfully.

I normally plan to cook about 3-4 meals per week in. I'm having a hard time tracking all the meals & everything in my pantry & trying to balance longer lasting w/ quick turning produce. Especially since you can't buy frozen now.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 06:11:45 PM »
i made corn chowder and black pepper rolls last night
tons of chowder left over, that's in the fridge in tupperware

will make meatloaf today, served with rice and some green vegetable

tomorrow, i will probably make veggie lasagna

i made lamb saag instead of meatloaf.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 06:54:40 PM »
I want to make the King Arthur's recipe of the year this week, they have a gf version so I would prob make one of each. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 06:56:38 PM »
i made lamb saag instead of meatloaf.
If you have a favorite saag recipe, I’m all ears!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2020, 06:58:18 PM »
I love saag paneer. No spinach here except a little saving for a pasta dish i am going to make.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »
If you have a favorite saag recipe, I’m all ears!

i usually wing it.  but this recipe is close : https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/92665/recipe/lamb-saag

i used ground lamb, chicken stock, and frozen spinach, because that's what i had.  and i opted to make it with an equivalent amount of coconut milk instead of tomatoes ('cause i want to use the tomatoes for baked ziti tomorrow).  so the flavor was a bit different, but it was still very good.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2020, 07:30:45 PM »
More carrots and mashed potatoes tonight, with lack beans.

Tomorrow is take out pizza!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »
I want to make the King Arthur's recipe of the year this week, they have a gf version so I would prob make one of each. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe

I want to try this but for now restaurants remain open so we order pizza out if we do pizza.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2020, 08:44:54 PM »
I stopped by the office the other day and found a package of calamari tubes in the freezer that I had left there weeks ago when I had bought it at lunchtime and then wasn't going straight home. Score!  Dinner tonight was squid and shrimp sauteed in garlic and lime with lots of Old Bay and aleppo pepper.  And wilted spinach and rice.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2020, 10:40:31 PM »
So many dishes! And it’s just me and the cat. I do have a dishwasher but I still hand wash a bunch of stuff.

I know! Same! 

Boyfriend is going NUTS.  His dishwasher went out well over a month ago.  Maybe 2 at this point.  This is the second time his dishwasher delivery has been cancelled.  It's a supply chain issue.  https://wsbt.com/news/business/is-the-ever-spreading-coronavirus-impacting-businesses-in-our-area 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2020, 11:53:13 PM »
I stopped by the office the other day and found a package of calamari tubes in the freezer that I had left there weeks ago when I had bought it at lunchtime and then wasn't going straight home. Score!  Dinner tonight was squid and shrimp sauteed in garlic and lime with lots of Old Bay and aleppo pepper.  And wilted spinach and rice.

Oh, that sounds tasty!  I'm eating a little better than usual because I'm home and able to do the work when I cook from scratch. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2020, 06:59:52 AM »
It was really good
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2020, 08:06:32 AM »
This is sitting on the counter, waiting for DD to wake up, so we can eat it. Friend posted it on FB and said it tasted better the next day, so I made it last night

https://diyways.com/easy-as-pie-this-farmhouse-apple-bread-is-so-addicting/?fbclid=IwAR2-DoVMSDAWLjL1Fxrbg3s-od6ToB_OFvaAYsixWkrGlyvmMwfMf7e4ehg

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2020, 01:05:27 PM »
The apple fritter bread tastes like cake. It is amazing and I made it GF, so prob even better regular.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2020, 03:59:56 PM »
veggie baked ziti this evening

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2020, 04:50:00 PM »
Put myself in time out. Making bagels and put lye solution in an aluminum pan. Good lord I am an idiot. Luckily didn't create an explosion or set anything on fire.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2020, 06:19:31 PM »
Put myself in time out. Making bagels and put lye solution in an aluminum pan. Good lord I am an idiot. Luckily didn't create an explosion or set anything on fire.
Oh shit! What happened?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »
i usually wing it.  but this recipe is close : https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/92665/recipe/lamb-saag

i used ground lamb, chicken stock, and frozen spinach, because that's what i had.  and i opted to make it with an equivalent amount of coconut milk instead of tomatoes ('cause i want to use the tomatoes for baked ziti tomorrow).  so the flavor was a bit different, but it was still very good.

So I made something sort of inspired by that recipe, based on what I had... I did it in the IP instead of the slow cooker, though. Came out pretty good!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2020, 06:48:09 PM »
Oh shit! What happened?

It started to bubble and I realized the pan was reacting (this is a favorite old pan with lots of patina that was suddenly all coming loose) so I added vinegar to neutralize it, added more water,  and dumped it. But had I been paying even less attention and actually tuned the burner on it could have exploded or started a fire.  :-[

+-SUPPORT US