Author Topic: Quarantine food thread  (Read 25093 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Quarantine food thread
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2020, 09:17:02 PM »
Roasted fennel is the best. This was one of the best recipes I have ever made: https://vanillaandbean.com/roasted-fennel-mushroom-white-bean-brown-rice-gratin/
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2020, 09:45:15 PM »
Roasted fennel is the best. This was one of the best recipes I have ever made: https://vanillaandbean.com/roasted-fennel-mushroom-white-bean-brown-rice-gratin/
That looks better than what we had!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2020, 10:25:50 PM »
That looks better than what we had!
Even my bf whose favorite foods are pizza, beer and burritos thought it was amazing.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2020, 12:28:14 AM »
Yesterday I made some really delicious ham, and then funeral potatoes because you gotta have that cheesy goodness when you eat ham. Today I made some rolls that I didn't love. I waited until too late in the day so I couldn't use my regular roll recipe, so I used a recipe that had more yeast in it so the rolls only needed to rise for 10 minutes. That was a mistake, they taste way too yeasty. Admittedly I am a big snob when it comes to homemade bread, but these just aren't that good. They were ok hot for dinner, I suspect I won't want to eat them tomorrow.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2020, 07:57:11 AM »
Baking fiascos are exponentially worse now that flour is so scarce. :(

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2020, 09:45:24 AM »
totally
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2020, 12:59:59 PM »
Sorry nadra! I hate it when that happens. :(

I'm just here to whine about cooking every meal and my lack of inspiration. I made a plan this week and dont really want to cook any of it now.  Blah.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2020, 01:52:24 PM »
same

I even have a Blue Apron in the fridge (arrived yesterday) that we need to cook to make room. So at least I won't have to do as much thinking.  But I don't wanna. I wanna go out for dinner.  :'(
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2020, 02:14:11 PM »
BA, I saw this while browsing and thought of you. It uses a whole fennel bulb but not sure if you have all items on hand.
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/warm-chickpea-bowls-with-lemony-yogurt

Another though: I love fennel shaved or sliced in a salad with mixed citrus (orange & grapefruit), with avocado. This is great with prawns or scallops buy also yummy without.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2020, 03:41:47 PM »
BA, I saw this while browsing and thought of you. It uses a whole fennel bulb but not sure if you have all items on hand.
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/warm-chickpea-bowls-with-lemony-yogurt

I don't have cauliflower (or the suggested subs, brussel sprouts or root veggies) but I imagine I could figure something out based on this, I have everything else...

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2020, 06:17:34 PM »
Yeah, by dinner time, I don't want to figure out vegetables and meat.  I kind of just want snacks.  OR a banana and oatmeal. 

But if I don't eat the veggies they will go bad.  I just don't wanna by the end of the day.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2020, 08:03:57 AM »
I usually freeze it for smoothies.

I thought of that, but smoothies are really not my thing.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2020, 08:04:55 AM »
Today may be the first time that I use the crepe pan that I bought on a trip to Montreal in 2009.  :)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
Yesterday we had a big plan to make pork chops for dinner, but then we got lazy and gave the kids a frozen pizza instead. And I had potato chips and ranch dip. (And felt appropriately gross afterward...) I guess it's pork chops tonight!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2020, 11:53:10 AM »
I think tonight is going to be spaghetti. Maybe with tuna/lemon/garlic/capers, maybe with tomato sauce.

We had bacon & tomato sandwiches for lunch, to celebrate finally acquiring some dijon mustard... and to use the open package of bacon before it goes off.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
I'd be so sad w/o mustard

We received our Purple Carrot box yesterday (I'll have Blue Apron and PC stagger when we start getting them again after Passover).  Just decided to make what are essentially green goddess bowls for dinner tonight.  I ordered the boxes w/ 2 servings figuring I'll supplement, so today's meal will also allow me to use some fresh broccoli, green onions and radishes.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2020, 03:09:02 PM »
I'd be so sad w/o mustard

We usually have mulitiple mustard options available... but we've been down to one smoky mustard, which is good, but not an all-purpose mustard... and now we also have dijon. But no yellow mustard, no hot mustard, no grainy mustard... it's a bit sad...

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2020, 08:29:52 AM »
We usually have mulitiple mustard options available... but we've been down to one smoky mustard, which is good, but not an all-purpose mustard... and now we also have dijon. But no yellow mustard, no hot mustard, no grainy mustard... it's a bit sad...

yellow mustard is terrible anyway...

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
don't yuck my yum

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2020, 10:11:43 AM »
don't yuck my yum

:roll:

We are a multiple mustard house here, we have everything from the grainy kind with the mustard seeds in it to yellow hot dog mustard.

+-SUPPORT US