Author Topic: Quarantine food thread  (Read 24756 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Quarantine food thread
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »
I do not find waffles to take a lot of time, but you can only make 1 beligian waffle at a time which is drawn out. Shakshuka again for breakfast.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »
Right, it's drawn out... especially because we only have a mini waffle maker. So it takes quite a while to churn them all out (I keep them warm in the oven and then serve all at once).

This time I made extra batter and stuck it in the fridge, with the (vain??) hope that the kids will help themselves to breakfast tomorrow.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2020, 01:48:43 PM »
Waffles freeze & reheat super well

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »
Right, it's drawn out... especially because we only have a mini waffle maker. So it takes quite a while to churn them all out (I keep them warm in the oven and then serve all at once).

This time I made extra batter and stuck it in the fridge, with the (vain??) hope that the kids will help themselves to breakfast tomorrow.
Yes put in a low temp oven as well. My kid does better with reheating cooked waffles than using the waffle iron, it is a mess.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »
This week I actually made a plan:
Veggie Burgers
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Stir Fry
Enchiladas
Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Chick Peas
Rice & Beans

We'll probably do take out one night.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »
Made this loaf of french bread with yeast that expired in 2018 :D  expiry date, bah!

It will go well with the homemade tomato soup that's brewing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »
Made these today, they are pretty yummy -- chocolate cookies filled with PB.

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/magic-in-the-middle-cookies/

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2020, 07:30:24 PM »
let me know. I find her recipes hit or miss.

Haven’t tried it yet, but it looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2020, 07:31:52 PM »
Tonight we are doing breakfast for dinner: hash browns, scrambled eggs, sausage and toast.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2020, 08:33:10 PM »
I made granola with pistachios and apricots and also made my own veggie bouillon since the kind I like was sold out

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2020, 08:42:04 PM »
Your granola looks amazing RA.  Made me drool.

Here's a Quarantine food complaint:
I can't keep enough carby snacks in the house for my crew right now apparently.  A couple weeks ago I found DH (who doesn't cook ever.  ever. EVER) popping popcorn in my Le Creuset dutch oven.  I introduced him to Barkeeper's Friend but it'll never be the same again.  And reminded him of the cheap, big stock pot from Target that we have just for these kinds of things. 

Today I came up from working out and found a flat, shallowish Calphalon pan drying.  "I picked something that's non-stick this time."  sigh. He's super extra careful with all of his tools but just doesn't get it but once reminded that it was a wedding gift AND would be at least $150 to replace, promised to stick to the stock pot next time.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Quarantine food thread
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2020, 09:31:37 PM »
diablita - fill the Le Creuset 2/3 with water and add a generous dollop of dishwasher detergent (not hand wash detergent, the kind you put in the dishwasher), and mix it in well. Let this simmer on the stovetop for half an hour, and your pot should look as good as new. My mother refused to believe I actually cooked in mine until I showed her that trick.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2020, 09:55:10 PM »
Huh. Probably half the use my Dutch oven gets is popcorn! What went wrong?

We broke down and bought a second waffle maker. Makes it so much easier.

And that chocolatey goodness looks amazing!!!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2020, 10:14:47 PM »
two waffle makers is just genius

Thanks BA.  I'm trying that tomorrow.  picote, I've always been an avid cook but had to really save up for it so the couple of really nice things I have, I've had forever and cherish. I just finally broke down and bought the Le Creuset piece on deep sale at the outlet last year and kept it scrubbed. The food processor outdates my DH.  He's actually meticulous with his things - I always say that he's better with things and I'm better with people. So it's a little maddening that he keeps messing with the nice things but we'll get there...

To his credit he's finally been washing pots after dinner without being asked to 'help'. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2020, 10:17:53 PM »
I feel your pain. Someone here that shall remain nameless undid the perfect seasoning on my cast iron skillet recently. I was not pleased.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2020, 07:49:29 AM »
I am going to make the peanut butter noodle recipe from the NYTimes tonight.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2020, 07:56:38 AM »
mmm sesame noodles
I haven't had them in forever!  I just received green onions in our instacart order yesterday and might make scallion pancakes this week

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2020, 09:02:14 AM »
Amy- let me know how it turned out taste wise. Looking for healthier snacks for DD.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »
Made steel cut oats in the IP for the first time vs the stove. 4 mins high pressure, manual release 20 minutes, 2 cups steel cut/Irish oats and 5 cups water.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2020, 10:37:43 AM »
Amy- let me know how it turned out taste wise. Looking for healthier snacks for DD.

I like it! Definitely use oil and not the milk substitution - the loaf will be way too dry otherwise. Fair warning - you'll need a lot of bananas to come up with two cups mashed. And the chocolate chips on the top are mandatory. :)

+-SUPPORT US