Author Topic: Canning... Any good pickle recipes? And what do I do with plums?  (Read 5666 times)

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
OK, so pickles and plums may seem an odd combination, but I just came in from the garden with a bunch of pickling cukes and a HUGE bag of plums--and the tree is still half full... So excited!

Anyone have a tried and true dill pickle recipe?

Any suggestions for preserving plums would be very appreciated as well. Not a fan of the syrupy sweet preserved fruit, but it would be nice to have something yummy to break open this winter. I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend :D

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
Re: Canning... Any good pickle recipes? And what do I do with plums?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
plums can be pickled.

but I'd probably just make pie and jam with them.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
Plum jelly :eats:
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 12:40:44 AM »
And my step mom makes some awesome dill pickles, I can get her recipe if you need :)
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline picote

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
And my step mom makes some awesome dill pickles, I can get her recipe if you need :)

I would love it! I've found a ton of recipes online, but there is a huge difference between good dill pickles and the soft mushy ones my mom used to always can... :)

And thanks for the plum suggestions--we're a pie free household at the moment, in the hopes that I'll stop expanding! Wonder if you could can plum pie filling? I may try the jam. My first attempt last summer at grape jam didn't go so well, so I feel the need to redeem myself.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »
What went wrong with your jam last year?
- Mark Twain

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
And thanks for the plum suggestions--we're a pie free household at the moment, in the hopes that I'll stop expanding! Wonder if you could can plum pie filling?

This fruit crumble recipe (which I posted elsewhere recently) says you can use plums and is healthier than pie. Still too many calories?

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/old_fashioned_fruit_crumble.html

Offline picote

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »
This fruit crumble recipe (which I posted elsewhere recently) says you can use plums and is healthier than pie. Still too many calories?

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/old_fashioned_fruit_crumble.html

Oh, that does look good! I'm unfortunately the only sweet tooth in the house, so if I make dessert I end up eating it all :) This doesn't look too bad though--maybe I'll just make a small serving...

AS, I made grape jam last year with concord grapes and it just never set up right--or at least I didn't think it did when I was making it, but the texture seems OK now. Unfortunately, I simmered it for so long trying to get it to set that it is just way too sugary and gooey. I think the only way to save it is to maybe use it to make fruit leather.

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »
Oh, that does look good! I'm unfortunately the only sweet tooth in the house, so if I make dessert I end up eating it all :) This doesn't look too bad though--maybe I'll just make a small serving...

Since it's written to make four individual servings in ramekins, it would certainly be very easy to just make one or two. Also, the topping will keep fine in the pantry until you add oil if you want to make a full batch of it then use it on separate occasions for individual fruit crumbles.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:59:29 AM »
I love canned plums.  My grandmother always made them thick and syrupy, so I may not be any help here, but they were always my favourite of the canned fruit on the shelf.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »
You can freeze plums. Just cut them in half and pit them first.

+-SUPPORT US