Forum > Food

Holiday Menus

(1/7) > >>

caribougrrl:
it feels like time to start talking about this

I have ordered a big prime rib roast. I am hoping for enough of a thaw to dig up some of my horseradish to prepare... but other than that, I have not thought it through.

Very likely there will be Yorkshire puddings.

BonitaApplebum:
Xmas day we'll be replicating my MIL's classic menu. I typically like to do my own thing, but this is her first year not able to do it herself, so I'm going to give it a go. Roast goose, knödels, gravy, 2 kinds of kraut (red and green), and a few veggie sides (TBD depending on what I get at the farm that week). Oh and some kind of soup to start.

Xmas eve is open ended. My mom always makes a seafood chowder, but I don't know if I want to go that route. I was thinking of coming up with a new fun classic that the kids would like, like gourmet grilled cheeses or something.

NYE will be mega foodie as I'm doing it with my foodie friends. I also have xmas with my brother's fam the weekend between xmas/nye and there will be plenty of good eating there, but I haven't planned that yet. Probably leg o' lamb or maybe a roast beast.

DocBuzzkill:

--- Quote from: caribougrrl on December 11, 2018, 02:32:05 PM ---it feels like time to start talking about this

I have ordered a big prime rib roast. I am hoping for enough of a thaw to dig up some of my horseradish to prepare... but other than that, I have not thought it through.

Very likely there will be Yorkshire puddings.

--- End quote ---

I just ordered a 4-rib prime rib roast and also am hoping to make some Yorkshire pudding.  This is a departure from our usual rack of lamb, but it's certainly welcome and kind of nostalgic since those were foundations of my mother's Xmas menu (with the beef from our own cattle).  Steamed cranberry pudding with butter sauce is our traditional Xmas dessert.

The Mister typically makes fish chowder (consistently excellent recipe) w/ Atlantic cod or haddock for Xmas eve.  I might pick up some Duxbury oysters for a snack for Spawn the Elder and me.    I'm tempted to make a sweet potato pecan pie for Xmas eve.

I anticipate ultralocal bagels (bakery is 3 blocks from my house) with lox and huevos rancheros with grits for breakfast sometime during the holiday break.

Rack of lamb or maybe seared duck breasts might appear on the menu for NYE , and some sort of bean dish for New Year's Day.

BonitaApplebum:

--- Quote from: DocBushwell on December 11, 2018, 04:40:20 PM ---
Steamed cranberry pudding with butter sauce is our traditional Xmas dessert.

--- End quote ---

Yes, please!!!! Would you share the recipe?

--- Quote ---I anticipate ultralocal bagels (bakery is 3 blocks from my house) with lox

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, we do bagels for breakfast xmas day with lots o' lox! I always get a salt bagel for me. Everyone else likes garlic or everything...

DocBuzzkill:

--- Quote from: BonitaApplebum on December 11, 2018, 04:43:28 PM ---Yes, please!!!! Would you share the recipe?
--- End quote ---

Absolutely!  The contrast between the tart cranberries and the butter-cream sauce is wonderful.  This reminds me that I need to order a new pudding mold.

Steamed Cranberry Pudding w/ Butter-Cream Sauce

Cranberry pudding

8 servings (12 servings)

1 ⅓ cup flour (2 cups)
½ cup black-strap molasses or sorghum (¾ cup)
⅓ cup hot water (½ cup)
1 tsp salt (1 ½ tsp)
2 tsp baking soda (3 tsp)
2 cups raw cranberries (3 cups)

* Grease a 1-quart mold (2-quart mold for larger recipe) or a 1 pound coffee (how quaint!) can with plenty of butter
* Rinse cranberries, drain, place in bowl, and mix with ⅓ cup of flour (½ cup for larger recipe).  Set aside.
* Put molasses or sorghum in medium-size bowl.  Add water, salt, and baking soda. Mix a bit with a wooden spoon.
* Add the rest of the flour to the molasses/sorghum combo and stir to make a smooth batter.
* Add cranberries and gently fold into batter using wooden spoon.
* Scrape into the buttered mold, cover with lid (mold) or aluminum foil (coffee can).
* Set on trivet in large stock pot with about 2 to 3 inches of water brought to a boil then set at a simmer. Steam for 2 hours. [Note: I tried steaming under pressure once.  Just once.  Not a good result.
* Allow to cool about 15 minutes or so, then remove from mold - may require using a knife to encourage the pudding to separate from the mold
During the last stage of steaming or while the pudding is cooling, make the butter-cream sauce.

Butter-cream sauce

½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
1 T flour
½ cup cream
1 tsp vanilla

In a small saucepan, mix flour with sugar, add cream, and cook over low heat until the mix comes to a boil, stirring frequently (keep an eye on this as it can quickly boil over).  When sugar is all dissolved, add vanilla last.

Serve pudding with butter-cream sauce to pour over it.

--- Quote ---Oh yeah, we do bagels for breakfast xmas day with lots o' lox! I always get a salt bagel for me. Everyone else likes garlic or everything...

--- End quote ---

Salt bagels are my favorite!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version