Forum > Food

Parchment paper

(1/4) > >>

Coyzmum:
I feel like my questions are dumb, but I'm going to ask them anyway. 

I use parchment paper only if and how the recipe calls for it, but is this something I should be using more when I bake stuff?  I recently used it for pizza because I had bought a crust, not Pillsbury, but close as it was dough and it suggested to use parchment paper under it so I did.  I did not cook it on a pizza stone, although we have one.  I used a sheet of some sort that I had bought just for this purpose that has holes in it.  It supposed to let the heat get under the food too, I think, but then I had parchment paper so...?  :confused2:

Why do you butter the pan, then put parchment paper in, then butter that?  Or do you butter the paper?  I have seen videos where they butter it.

I have never used it with round cake pans and sometimes the middle sticks.  Would using parchment paper fix this?  Also, that reminds me of another question.  Is there a correlation between how long something cools in a pan and if it sticks or not?  Like I have made banana bread that popped right out of pan and then cake that does not.  And I always butter/flour the pan or do whatever instructions say.  Muffins, sometimes pop right out, sometimes stick and I wondered if I had left them on cooling rack too long in pan.

Gah, I feel old to still not be knowing this stuff.   :-[

diablita:
I'll answer some of this for you :)

Parchment paper will help you to have a nice release of your baked goods from the pan.  So parchment paper is generally a good idea for baked goods like breads and cakes.  Many cookies call for parchment paper, too.*

Very often and depending on how much fat is in the baked good, although it will release from the pan thanks to the parchment paper, the paper may not come off the item nicely.  So for those recipes you'll see instructions to grease the pan, put in parchment paper, then grease the paper.  If you're unsure when to do this, or if you have a staple that you bake that often doesn't release cleanly (e.g., the cake you mentioned) then it's a good idea to grease the paper. 

*For things that go on a sheet, like cookies on a cookie sheet, I use a reusable silpat.  It's a small investment up front but very easy to clean and pays for itself in the long run.

BonitaApplebum:
My primary tip is, don't get it mixed up with waxed paper.

Parchment is for hot stuff.

Waxed is for cold.

Ask me how I know...

caribougrrl:
I don't know all the answers to your questions, but I use a lot of parchment paper.

I butter the pan before lining so that the paper will stick to the pan instead of moving around... then I might or might not butter the parchment depending on whether I want a crust (yes butter the paper) or not (don't butter the paper) on what I'm baking.

I also use it to wrap things to steam in the oven, or as a layer on top of a dutch oven (over the food, under the lid) to make a better seal to keep moisture in. I use it on baking sheets under things I reheat, mostly to make clean-up easier. I will make parchment paper snowflakes the size of my steaming basket when I steam anything sticky (like pork buns)... the holes let the steam through.

Coyzmum:

--- Quote from: diablita on December 11, 2018, 01:57:26 PM ---I'll answer some of this for you :)

*For things that go on a sheet, like cookies on a cookie sheet, I use a reusable silpat.  It's a small investment up front but very easy to clean and pays for itself in the long run.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info.  Also, I have seen "silpat or parchment paper".  I don't bake a ton, but I think I would use it enough that it would be a wise investment.  I'm going to check that out.

Cookies usually don't cause too much of an issue sticking, but anything to help, so does the parchment paper in any way affect how the bottom of the cookies cook? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version