Forum > Food

Cauliflower rice techniques needed

<< < (2/11) > >>

BonitaApplebum:
OK, so I don't think of it as "rice" -- that path leads to madness. :D

I try to think of it as a sauce vehicle. Or a casserole filler. I don't expect it to taste like rice, but I'm looking to get a better mouth feel -- I've read that that is possible, but I can't seem to hit it. And it's because my cauliflower is consistently watery, which wrecks everything (especially a casserole, gross).

I did not know you could buy it fresh but already chopped. That might be a good solution, because I think the frozen stuff has more water than I can expect to cook out.

Hand grating sounds unfun, I am lazy. :)

Run Amok:
So, what they sell as "rice" in the store is chopped up stems. So, one thing you could try is to use only stems. I would chop it in the food processor vs grating, myself. Although it always comes out too watery when I do it myself.

I do kind of like that fall apart/mush texture in some things though-- like an indian curry, for example.

witchypoo:
i pulse heads of cauliflower in the food processor, and then nuke them in the 'wave.
THEN i dump the cauliflower onto a cheesecloth towel and squeeze all the water out.

BonitaApplebum:
So, I just tried roasting the (frozen) riced cauliflower in the oven.

I stirred the cauliflower bits with some melted butter, and spread it all out on an oven tray. After it started browning I added some caramelized onions and let them roast together for a bit, and at the end I added grated cheese. Finished with a bit of truffle salt.

That was pretty good, definitely better than the results I've been getting in the pan. Not watery.

diablita:
I buy the bags of frozen at TJ's.  Need to buy some tonight in fact.  This is exactly what I do:

I pop the intact bag in the microwave for a minute to loosen up some of the chunks.  Meanwhile I heat up a big saute pan with either a bit of coconut oil or olive oil.  When the oil is warm I add a couple small spoonfuls of bouillon (if I'm using it) and put the riced cauliflower in.  I let it heat by itself for a good long while.  Maybe 5 minutes.  That gets most of the water out.  Meanwhile I chop other vegetables or whatever. 

Then I generally add in whatever vegetables I want to cook slightly, like peppers or spinach.  Often I'll also make a well in the center and scramble a couple of eggs in there a bit, then mix the semi- scrambled eggs into everything else.  Add already-cooked protein (I'll sautee the shrimp beforehand, for example) and done!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version