Author Topic: Easy apps/party food?  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
Easy apps/party food?
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:13:48 AM »
I'm going to a NYE party tomorrow night and am planning on taking a really yummy cheese ball and crackers.  I'd like to take something hot, but my resources are limited unless I can a) find al my kitchen boxes and 2) unpack them in the next 24 hours. 

Do you have any quick apps that are kid-friendly?  I do have access to my kitchen-aid, sauce pans, and some pyrex baking dishes.

Thank you!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Easy apps/party food?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:44:23 AM »
Puff pastry is your friend! Get the sheets in the frozen section. Roll out, spread with fillings, bake. I'll post a pic of the recipe I use, but you can put just about anything in them.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »
I'm making bourekas which are made with puff pastry as well.  They're super easy to make an amazing finger food:

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/cheese-bourekas/
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
I'm making bourekas which are made with puff pastry as well.  They're super easy to make an amazing finger food:

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/cheese-bourekas/
Wow, those look great!! What is kashkaval cheese?

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »
Thank you! I have access to what I need to make those

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »
Kashkaval is a delicious Bulgarian cheese (there are many amazing cheeses from Bulgaria). But when I can’t get it I follow her advice or I use Munster (not as tangy but still very good).

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
I'm going to see if my Whole Foods has it, I want to make those bourekas tonight!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
I'm working on mine right now.  They're amazing.  Pro tip: try to avoid refrigerating them once baked.  You can either assemble up to just before the egg wash step and then put in the freezer.  When you need them take out of the freezer, bring to before room temp, egg wash and bake.  (so convenient to make a batch on a Sunday evening and then take and bake any time.)  Or make, bake and no need to put in refrigerator for a few hours; the egg and cheese is cooked.

If you do have to refrigerate them or have leftovers, a few minutes in a hot oven will help recrisp them a bit.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »
Oh in Italian Kashkaval is called Cacciocavallo.  So you could ask for that too.  I wish you lived closer; I'd happily share some of this wheel with you.  But...if you can't find it they're still totally delicious with more feta or with munster as a sub for the other cheese.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 07:20:03 AM »
Rochey what did you end up making?

Bonita, did you find the cheese?

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 02:44:23 PM »
I tried the puff pastry with fig preserves and prosciutto.  They tasted amazing, but my preserves were too chunky and I didn't roll the pastry up tight enough.  A light dusting of parmesan would have been so good, but I forgot to get some when I restocked my fridge.  I will definitely try them again.

I had also made a cheeseball with bacon, cheddar cheese, onion powder, green onions, and cream cheese, so I didn't go empty-handed. 

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:11:35 AM »
Late to the game....but blinis!

Blini, smoked salmon, creme fraiche, slice cherry tomato, dill
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Easy apps/party food?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »
Rochey what did you end up making?

Bonita, did you find the cheese?

Okay I didn't make them last week but I'm bringing them to a belated holiday gathering tomorrow. I didn't find the exact cheese, but the cheeseperson at WF assured me that this was delicious.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 10:26:37 PM »
Good!  Can’t wait to hear how you like them

+-SUPPORT US