Author Topic: I'm over kale  (Read 21336 times)

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Re: I'm over kale
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 11:19:05 PM »
I still like it. I almost always saute it, with vinegar (or white wine) and a dash of soy sauce to help it cook down.

I really want to try that Collard Greens recipe. I've never tried cooking them before and want to avoid making white people collard greens

You're veg, right? What, if anything, would you sub for the bacon? I know mushrooms add umami but that might be texturally weird.

I will say that the recipe as I've made it certainly does not taste like oppression, and should be fine without the meat / chicken broth.

And thank you for linking to that because it led me to another entry from her about how gross peach cobbler is, which I have adamantly declared many times in my life, so I'll be reading more of that blog.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 08:05:25 AM »
You're veg, right? What, if anything, would you sub for the bacon? I know mushrooms add umami but that might be texturally weird.

I will say that the recipe as I've made it certainly does not taste like oppression, and should be fine without the meat / chicken broth.

And thank you for linking to that because it led me to another entry from her about how gross peach cobbler is, which I have adamantly declared many times in my life, so I'll be reading more of that blog.

I am of the firm opinion that peaches should never, ever, be cooked.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »

Not vegetarian, I just don't eat beef or pork.

I also don't really "get" what umami means. :D

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »

Wonderful news!  :d

I am no longer veg, but DBF is flexitarian...especually the post-weekend adventure burger...

Usually he'll try a non-veg recipe but we never cook meat. I have found that toasted pecans often hit the spot for a bacon sub and there are great no-chicken broths out there.

Offline ihop

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »
I still like it. I almost always saute it, with vinegar (or white wine) and a dash of soy sauce to help it cook down.

I really want to try that Collard Greens recipe. I've never tried cooking them before and want to avoid making white people collard greens

:roll:

DH's grandmother makes them with fatback.  Delicious.  But bacon does a fine job and is what my mother used.

One of her other favorites is hog jowl which she calls hog jaw.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »
Wonderful news!  :d

I am no longer veg, but DBF is flexitarian...especually the post-weekend adventure burger...

Usually he'll try a non-veg recipe but we never cook meat. I have found that toasted pecans often hit the spot for a bacon sub and there are great no-chicken broths out there.
First Dev, now you  :'(
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »

DH's grandmother makes them with fatback.  Delicious.  But bacon does a fine job and is what my mother used.

One of her other favorites is hog jowl which she calls hog jaw.

OMG, a couple of years ago my BF bought hog jowl for something he was cooking, and put the chunk that was leftover into a freezer bag labeled "Face."    :panic:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
 :rotfl:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline ihop

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
OMG, a couple of years ago my BF bought hog jowl for something he was cooking, and put the chunk that was leftover into a freezer bag labeled "Face."    :panic:

Dev - she loved to eat it at J&S Cafeteria!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »
First Dev, now you  :'(

CFL has never been a strict veg though, I don't think?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »

Dev - she loved to eat it at J&S Cafeteria!

Would you believe I've never actually eaten there! 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline ihop

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »
Would you believe I've never actually eaten there! 

You aren't missing much - especially since you didn't eat meat!

Jello desserts!  Seven layer salads!  A meat and two veg (where mac and cheese is considered a veg)!

DH has fond memories of eating there with his grandparents and extended family.  I have been a few times, the last was when his grandfather was sick and wasn't eating enough - so whe he requested J&S, we all agreed!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
Oh gotcha.  Yeah, not missing much.  :d

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
You must try kale chips!

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.

Remove the ribs from the kale and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt. Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through, about 20 minutes.

If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »
Kale chips are the best!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:20 PM »
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
Kale chips are the best!

The best at what? Leaving dried green shards stuck in your teeth?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »

The best (and imo only palatable) use for kale. 

Offline ihop

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »
i would much rather eat swiss chard than kale.  and arugula, spinach, etc. are delicious.  so, too, escarole. 

but i don't mind kale.

I thought of you as I gave a pile of kale the stink eye whilst I picked up rainbow chard at my local farmer's market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+-SUPPORT US