Author Topic: Save my ribs pleaae  (Read 4455 times)

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Save my ribs pleaae
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »
DH smoked some ribs this weekend. Recipe called for 5-6 hrs. He took them out when they reached temp, which was only about 3 hrs. They were tough and totally dissatisfying. We were hoping more meat falling off the bones, of course.

Can I save them? There's a lot of ribs. Maybe in the oven wrapped in foil at low temp for a few more hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
Re: Save my ribs pleaae
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:36:01 AM »
You can put them in the oven (250-275 degrees F) for a few more hours wrapped in foil. Also, every hour or so spray them with apple juice or apple cider vinegar.

I hope I wasn't too late.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:20:16 PM by Sir Real »

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:50:58 PM »
Thank you! Although maybe I am too late because they've already been cooled and refrigerated.

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »
So, it's probably too late for these... but in the future, you should smoke them the full 5-6 hours. Or, if you don't have time, par boil first (purists may clutch their pearls, but it's a legit shortcut. Parboil in cider or juice, not water.)

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
You can put them in the oven (250-275 degrees F) for a few more hours wrapped in foil. Also, every hour or so spray them with apple juice or apple cider vinegar.

I hope I wasn't too late.

yes, or place them in a faux cambro.

Smoking is definitely an art and getting meat to temp and holding can be weird.  The brisket we did a couple of weeks ago didn't stall until much later than we anticipated and I tried not to freak out.  I didn't want to ruin that huge hunk of meat!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 11:18:44 PM »
Worked perfectly! Wrapped in foil, added some apple cider vinegar and popped in the over for 3 hrs at 225. They could have used more time, I think. They were pull apart tender but not fall off the bone. Still a HUGE improvement.

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 09:26:59 AM »
Next time you try smoking ribs, do the same.  Smoke them on the rack for 3-4 hours, then wrap them in foil or butcher paper and continue smoking for another 2-3 hours, spraying or lightly brushing apple juice or apple cider vinegar every 45-60 minutes.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
Next time you try smoking ribs, do the same.  Smoke them on the rack for 3-4 hours, then wrap them in foil or butcher paper and continue smoking for another 2-3 hours, spraying or lightly brushing apple juice or apple cider vinegar every 45-60 minutes.

DH loves butcher paper!  :D
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

+-SUPPORT US