Author Topic: Has an injury ever forced you to stop running for a significant amount of time?  (Read 12136 times)

siamesedream

?

I'm at 7 weeks, but close to coming back. It's been sucktastic.  :(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:48:43 AM by siamesedream »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
I broke my arm in a track meet; that killed my season.  Another time I tore a hamstring and was out for the rest of the season.

Offline nneJ

• The Runners
  • Breathing without remorse since 1976
Yes.

It sucked.
I can't, just can't let myself be beat by people dressed as cheeseburgers.  ~Eco Ellen

Uh. Did I just get compared to a three-year-old on a sugar high? ~debbatx

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
It should have...and I probably stayed injured way longer than necessary...but, I healed eventually..

I'm sorry, brother....I'd lose my mind...

siamesedream

It should have...and I probably stayed injured way longer than necessary...but, I healed eventually..

I'm sorry, brother....I'd lose my mind...

It's been tough mentally for sure, I rely on running for my endorphin fix and walking is a lousy substitute. 

siamesedream

Thanks, everyone.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
yes, six weeks for a broken toe. It was not as bad as I anticipated it would be.  I remember getting back to running and thinking it was very difficult.

siamesedream

yes, six weeks for a broken toe. It was not as bad as I anticipated it would be.  I remember getting back to running and thinking it was very difficult.

I dread my first run, 7 weeks is a long time and I've  probably lost tons of aerobic fitness.

Offline junette

• Borderline
9 months! From last December to August with a torn tendon. It was awful. I'm able to run 3 days a week now, and my fitness level sucks

siamesedream

9 months! From last December to August with a torn tendon. It was awful. I'm able to run 3 days a week now, and my fitness level sucks

Keep at it, 3 days a week is better than 0 days. :hug:

Belgian Lace

Yep.  No running for 3-4 months.

:lambie:

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane

Can you lift or do kettlebells?
Getting a fix from a sweaty grunt workout may be somewhat helpful.

:hug:
On, Wisconsin

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Knee tendonitis for two months after my first marathon.  Otherwise I've been pretty injury free over my 80 marathons career.  Knock on wood.   :obh:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
I dread my first run, 7 weeks is a long time and I've  probably lost tons of aerobic fitness.

But it comes back quickly, that is the good news. I was surprised at how quickly, but I definitely remember thinking after my first or second run that I did not know how difficult running was.

siamesedream

But it comes back quickly, that is the good news. I was surprised at how quickly, but I definitely remember thinking after my first or second run that I did not know how difficult running was.

Yep, I'm sure I took for granted the relative ease of how running feels after so many years of continuous and uninterrupted running.

And to WTPJ, I do lift free weights every other day..and that provides some endorphin rush.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Yep, I'm sure I took for granted the relative ease of how running feels after so many years of continuous and uninterrupted running.

And to WTPJ, I do lift free weights every other day..and that provides some endorphin rush.

There was an article in the NYtimes recently that said that endorphins do NOT play any role in a rush.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
I did not run for 2.5 months last summer. Several weeks in I was an emotional wreck. I am someone who works out 5-6 days a week. I wound up working with a personal trainer who spiked my heart rate and focused on strengthening my legs/core. When I started running again, I was strong and very easily rebuilt what I had lost. Then I hurt my back - again - with the personal trainer ironically. The chiro had to fix that and I did take it easy for a few weeks, but the trainer did wonders for my emotional state.

Zapatista

Torn hammy in 98. Missed two months and ran very little for another month. Torn meniscus in 2006. Out three months and gained 10 pounds. But my 1st run was still faster than I can run now, even though I'm 20 pounds lighter.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
Since 1972, when I first went out for the middle-school track team, the longest I've ever gone without running is 4 months.  That was 3 years ago, when I had major hip surgery for an artificial hip.

I ran 3 slow, very painful miles the day before surgery.  They separated my femur from my hip to insert the metal hip implant in the hip and femur.  Four months later I was doing light jogging on grass and haven't looked back.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

siamesedream

Since 1972, when I first went out for the middle-school track team, the longest I've ever gone without running is 4 months.  That was 3 years ago, when I had major hip surgery for an artificial hip.

I ran 3 slow, very painful miles the day before surgery.  They separated my femur from my hip to insert the metal hip implant in the hip and femur.  Four months later I was doing light jogging on grass and haven't looked back.

That's awesome. I think I've taken being healthy and injury free(for so long) for granted.

Offline JBM

That's awesome. I think I've taken being healthy and injury free(for so long) for granted.
What is your injury again? I'm in an injury loop myself. I had bad Achilles problems last year - both feet. I did PT for months and then worked with the personal trainer. I still had intermittent pain with running but it got a lot better once I put some gel heel inserts in my shoes. Once they get loosened up they're not that bad, but pavement is my nemesis. I am now battling a bit of PF in my left foot that started with general soreness over the summer and really got bad over the last few weeks. I believe it's from compensating with the Achilles since it was the right foot that was worse than the left plus tight calves. I am so ready to get out of this cycle. I've also had issues with my SI joint which comes and goes.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
Out three months and gained 10 pounds.
I'd gain 50...

The ONLY way that I can stay lean is 1800 kcal or less and running 40+ weeks...

siamesedream

What is your injury again? I'm in an injury loop myself. I had bad Achilles problems last year - both feet. I did PT for months and then worked with the personal trainer. I still had intermittent pain with running but it got a lot better once I put some gel heel inserts in my shoes. Once they get loosened up they're not that bad, but pavement is my nemesis. I am now battling a bit of PF in my left foot that started with general soreness over the summer and really got bad over the last few weeks. I believe it's from compensating with the Achilles since it was the right foot that was worse than the left plus tight calves. I am so ready to get out of this cycle. I've also had issues with my SI joint which comes and goes.

Turf toe.  I have no idea how it happened, I went running on a Saturday night and woke up on Sunday morning with pain and swelling. The pain was really bad during the first week. Went to doc and was given the standard RICE advice. I've been pain-free for about a week, but I am very hesitant to go right back to running...just trying to be cautious.

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
Nine months two times.  Both for ankle surgeries.

I usually gain about 10 lbs.

siamesedream

Nine months two times.  Both for ankle surgeries.

I usually gain about 10 lbs.

I had ankle surgery in 2008, pins put in. I missed 2 and a half months. That was my only other major injury and it was not related to running. I fell in my kitchen, too much bourbon.

Zapatista

I'd gain 50...

The ONLY way that I can stay lean is 1800 kcal or less and running 40+ weeks...

I think it's a shock to the system when you stop running and you gain more weight than you would otherwise. Luckily I've always lost weight quickly after I started running.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
My biggest surprise about injury was that I was not hungry at all without running. I lost weight.

Offline JBM

My biggest surprise about injury was that I was not hungry at all without running. I lost weight.
I think for me I didn't give myself a pass to eat whatever I wanted, as I usually do. I was worried what would happen if I stopped working out because I have been known to scare people with my eating habits. I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't that hungry and I used more caution than expected. My friends nicknamed me 'Ribs' after one of the guys witnessed my eating a rack of ribs. He had never seen me eat before apparently. Ha.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
i've been down for 3 months, and 6 months in the past.  awful, awful.  i nearly lost my mind each time.

siamesedream

i've been down for 3 months, and 6 months in the past.  awful, awful.  i nearly lost my mind each time.

In my case there's not much to lose, I guess I'm lucky that way.  :D

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
In my case there's not much to lose, I guess I'm lucky that way.  :D

I did not have much to lose, either.

Offline kevin871

• The Runners
    • My Running Log
I was out for 6 months with a broken fifth metatarsal in my foot, which had to be repaired with a surgical screw. I was in the boot and on crutches for most of the time. It was tough. I avoided weight gain by eating lots of vegetables and eliminating alcohol. Towards the end, I was able to do elliptical machine, exercise bike, and swimming, which helped to restore cardiovascular fitness. Once I was allowed to put weight on my foot, I walked my running routes (would literally walk 8 miles). When the doctor told me it had healed and that I could run again, I immediately ran part of the way home, and it was the best feeling.

siamesedream

I was out for 6 months with a broken fifth metatarsal in my foot, which had to be repaired with a surgical screw. I was in the boot and on crutches for most of the time. It was tough. I avoided weight gain by eating lots of vegetables and eliminating alcohol. Towards the end, I was able to do elliptical machine, exercise bike, and swimming, which helped to restore cardiovascular fitness. Once I was allowed to put weight on my foot, I walked my running routes (would literally walk 8 miles). When the doctor told me it had healed and that I could run again, I immediately ran part of the way home, and it was the best feeling.

I've put on 7 pounds, I'm fine with that. I'm also lifting and walking so my metabolism is doing ok.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
I'm pretty sure, if I'm sidelined again, my wife will have to divorce me....I'm a dick...

siamesedream

I'm pretty sure, if I'm sidelined again, my wife will have to divorce me....I'm a dick...

I'm that way all the time, so people don't notice any difference.

+-SUPPORT US