Author Topic: My college XC team made it to runnersworld!  (Read 2485 times)

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
My college XC team made it to runnersworld!
« on: September 04, 2020, 11:24:41 PM »
Who had a bear running off with their sports bra on their 2020 bingo card?

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a33850667/rachel-smith-spends-night-in-tree-to-escape-bear/

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Re: My college XC team made it to runnersworld!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
The estimated 5 mile chase and behavior of the bear gives me pause. However, bears (and black bears in particular) can switch from defensive mode to hunter. Ideally in this situation she should have initially backed away slowly or at least calmly from the bear (not acting big), and then not run away into the woods (thus behaving as potential prey). Black bear attacks on humans are not common but do happen every year.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 12:44:56 PM »
Most black bear attacks happen because stupid humans taught the bear that stupid humans are sources of food.  :(
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Online Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »
 :yikes:

Fortunately for this runner last month near Vancouver, no cubs around. But it managed to take a swipe at her leg, before she ran off.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/black-bear-filmed-on-popular-canadian-trail-taking-a-swipe-at-runner-british-columbia-coquitlam-crunch

Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »
The estimated 5 mile chase and behavior of the bear gives me pause. However, bears (and black bears in particular) can switch from defensive mode to hunter. Ideally in this situation she should have initially backed away slowly or at least calmly from the bear (not acting big), and then not run away into the woods (thus behaving as potential prey). Black bear attacks on humans are not common but do happen every year.

I noticed that.  Running away?  Climbing a tree?  My armchair quarterbacking assessment suggests that was made more adventurous than it needed to be.  Still pretty badass.

+-SUPPORT US