Author Topic: Questions I have about running....  (Read 5712 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Questions I have about running....
« on: November 15, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »
Am I ALWAYS going to get a post marathon cold? I took my vitamins and tried to eat well, I swear!

Is it worth it to find someone to analyze my gait and try to get better, or should I just continue on my injury free so far plan?

Does quad dominance impact women more than men?

Is it possible for an asthmatic to get a USATF waiver for Sudafed?

What's your favorite distance, and why?

Online Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: Questions I have about running....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »
Stay away from people.  I get a post marathon cold approx. 25% of the time post.

Nah, go with what works.  Haven't you read "Born to Run."   ;)

No ideal.

No ideal.

Marathon.  Always up for a runcation. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:29:24 PM »
Do you really get a cold or is it exercise induced asthma?

My favorite distance: 50 yard dash
Why? I had a really good start and ran some nice times.

What is "quad dominance"?

Offline CheryG

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
I get EIA too, but these are colds for sure.

I need to re-read Born to Run. 

Eddie needs to run the Burlington VT Santa 5k this year.

Quad dominance is when the quads work harder than the glutes, can lead to injury.

I think I like most distances.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »

Quad dominance is when the quads work harder than the glutes, can lead to injury

I think it be more a function of the type of training or previous participation in sports rather than it being related to the sex of the runner. 

Offline CheryG

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:34:29 PM »
Well, what I had been told previously is that it has to do with the female Q angle and hip width.  I was told today by someone with creds that men and women suffered equally, which surprised me.  I wasn't aware of any new science, but could be out of the loop.
https://adamringler.com/lets-keep-our-female-athletes-squatting/

"The difference between men & women is that women tend to be more quad dominant meaning on knee dominant exercises, females tend to engage the hamstrings first which increases stress on the ACL (1,2,3,4,5)."

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 06:04:19 PM »
1.  Lay low
2.   No
3. Idk.   The more I bike the more I sway quad dominant
4.  Nope
5. Half ironman

Offline CheryG

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 10:54:29 AM »
Randmart- I love the half for that reason too.

Snarly- I don't bikebike, but I try to be careful of my "stride" when I use the fanbike so I don't over quad it.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
Am I ALWAYS going to get a post marathon cold? I took my vitamins and tried to eat well, I swear!

Is it worth it to find someone to analyze my gait and try to get better, or should I just continue on my injury free so far plan?

1. Dunno. I’ve done 9 and never got a cold after. Sounds like you did the right things, everyone’s different.

2. No! Although gait analysis can be useful to an ART chiro or PT to help them understand you and to help with their treatment of you. But never to change your actual gait.

3. Dunno. Not a physiologist. But I train for both sprinting and distance running (not at the same time) and only get Achilles pain when training for distance running for whatever that’s worth.

4. Pretty sure that’s on the banned list. Steroid inhalers that you use for maintenance (Pulmicort for example) are fine.

5. 60 meter dash, because I am competeive nationally in my age group (as well as the 100m). I turn 60 in 2019 and look forward to competing at Nationals next summer.  Distance running is for fun but I am not a competitive distance runner. Midpack at best (in my age group), back of the pack among all runners).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:54:18 PM by Arrojo »
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 08:58:01 AM »
I would check your brand of steroid inhaler.  I know for USAT some are banned.  Someone recently got banned by just putting an inhaler on their list.   And to be clear they must be inhaled... don’t be sticking it places it doesn’t belong😚

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 11:21:41 AM »

I think you have most of your answers but,

Colds following a prime effort are common for a lot of people, immune response/suppression following a hard effort. Easy to pick up a cold. Best advice, hydrate and don't touch anyone for a few hours!

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Someone really good might help a bit, but there's a lot of snake oil associated with gait analysis.

Not sure. Never really thought about quad dominance.

Pseudoephedrine is banned in competition, but there might be exceptions for lower doses. Here is USADA site https://www.usada.org/wp-content/uploads/wada-2018-prohibited-list-en.pdf
better look it up; you don't need a TUE for asthma meds like Advair, Singulair or albuterol--unless in high doses. But look at the banned lists and protocol.

Seem to be best at 10K to half marathon (could probably stretch those from 8K to 25 or 30K). Races shorter than about 8K hurt like hell and I generally hate them. I tend to fall apart, or struggle, after about 30K in a marathon. Have had some decent results at the marathon but it's kind of hit and miss over the end and I never feel like I nailed it.   

I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
I prefer the half but would really like to get another full under my belt.

I don't know.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Sitting Bull

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 11:42:06 PM »
One cold after 12 marathons. Ran the day after unless I was flying home.

It might help if the analysts knows what their talking about. But otherwise do what works for you.

?

?

10K because I can feel it in my gut. Liked to run the mile in all comers meets because you're racing one on one. But you have to be willing to risk the humiliation of coming in last (and getting a sympathy clap) for a chance to win!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »
I have done over 50 marathons and ultras and half ironmen. The vast majority of them were a cold BEFORE the final effort, after all the training was done.  It was rare that I did not have a cold.  But I work with teenagers...

Favorite distance: Right now, I would say 10k.  Used to be marathon until I was 50, then became half marathon.

+-SUPPORT US