Author Topic: NYC Marathon!  (Read 4829 times)

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
NYC Marathon!
« on: November 04, 2018, 10:30:48 AM »
I know it's just a second rate marathon when you consider the likes of Boston, but GOGOGO!!!

The usual fast american women are up there.  No fast white dudes to speak of, but it will be interesting to follow the Scotts and their fight to the death. 

The most heated rivalry in running: Scott Fauble vs. Scott Smith

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: NYC Marathon!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 10:33:36 AM »
Coverage is pretty bad.  Too many interviews and "up personal" during the race.

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 11:04:29 AM »
Yeah, watching on a delay through DVR has made that nice.  I've done a lot of fast forwarding! 

Also Peter Cha-cha's last year as director apparently.  I'm going to miss hearing his name!

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 11:35:19 AM »
It always cracks me up every time they interview someone who's literally in the middle of running the race.  I'd punch them in the throat without breaking stride. 

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
The men's finish was pretty spectacular.

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 05:13:41 PM »
Yas!  It's okay to go for broke that far from the finish when it's a 2 man race and you're about to break the other guy, but when a third guy comes back from the dead to chase you all bets are off!

The women's finish on the other hand, was pretty boring.  But I was excited to see that lead trio take off because I knew Shalane would have a good shot at a podium if she could hold it together.   Even though one of the three (probably Mary K) was likely to win, the other 2 were likely to get blown out and gobbled up.  And they definitely looked like they were straining to stay up there.  A great run by Shalane - definitely not a 'victory lap' for her final effort as others had hypothesized.  Also somewhat overlooked was a great run by Molly Huddle who moved up well and also gobbled up some of the lead pack debris to finish 4th.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 06:09:01 PM »
Had Kamworor for the win and it looked like he'd take it until the last km or so, that was a great finish with the top 3.

Keitany just busted a sub 1:07 half marathon in the second half of her race. Those were some insane splits. And American women quite well did well with 4 of them at 2:28 or faster.   
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:42:25 AM by Coyote Mas Loco »
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline blue sleep

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »
A fun race to watch.  Keitany was awesome.  If it was a 26.7 mile race, would Shalane have been able to catch Vivian C?  That would have been fun to watch. I love Des's grit and love watching her run - but only because it looks like she runs aggressively, not because she's necessarily efficient.  Would love to see her move up regularly, but don't know enough about racing to know if she has the goods. 

Men's race was a blast, too.  Much respect to Desisa and Kitata.  I wish more marathons were televised live!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:26:59 PM by blue sleep »
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 12:15:07 AM »
Mary K's splits from the breakaway:  Mile 17 - 4:55, 18 - 4:58, 19 - 4:55.  Ho hum. 

Also a nice comeback race for Utah boy Jared Ward to snag top american spot.  He's had injury issues since the olympics but seems to be doing better now and has had ample time to grow his mustache as well. Right behind him, another nice run for Scott Fauble.  The final verdict:  Scott Smith has to fall on his own Katana!

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
I run by Scott Fauble's old high school every week. I think former pro/TDF cyclist Ron Kiefel went the same school. Going into OTs Fauble is the Ward of 2020. Although he'll still have to contest with Ward.

If Rupp comes back from Achilles surgery okay Fauble and Ward have a chance. But I think one or two spots will go to one of the US Army guys--Shadrack Kipkichir or Leonard Korir. Can't count out Lagat (2:17 yesterday in his debut at 43--getting beat up mercilessly on Letsrun today), nor maybe Meb who said he's considering coming out of retirement. Derrick has the 10K and XC creds but hasn't turned heads with 2:12 at Chicago last year and 2:13 yesterday.

The women are freaking awesome and made up for the disappointing show (or no show in case of Hasay and Cragg, due to injuries) at Chicago last month. 5 in top 10, and Flanagan's podium finish was inspirational. Huddle showed she's a player with a hard fought 4th. On the women's side Allie Kiefer is the one taking a beating a Letsrun. A) sort of a double reverse body shaming. I guess she's promoted herself as an alternative to the emaciated marathoner, built more like a cross-fitter. So the incels are hitting back on that. B) in a recent interview she was asked who in history she'd like to run with and she said Hitler. I haven's seen the entire context of the quotation, but that is a bit odd. Although maybe not damning either. 

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
ehh. Yeah.
I get the part about wanting to get some insight on the psychological aspects, but
"fascinating person"?

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »
Meb only ran a 3:10 yesterday.  VERY SAD!

I don't think he's gone under 2:12 since 2014 and is heading in the wrong direction - which puts into context what a brilliant race his 2:08 in Boston was that year.  He really pulled that one out of his ass.  While the American outlook maybe isn't as stellar as years past, it seems likely we'll be able to round up at least 3 guys who can top that in 2020.

Apparently, it was in a podcast [at 1:01;00 according to LR]

http://citiusmag.com/allie-kieffer-citius-mag-podcast/

I've never heard of her, but she sounds weird.  And with the DOUBLE double letters, you know there are some skeletons in that closet! 

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 12:18:39 PM »
Meb only ran a 3:10 yesterday.  VERY SAD!

I don't think he's gone under 2:12 since 2014 and is heading in the wrong direction - which puts into context what a brilliant race his 2:08 in Boston was that year.  He really pulled that one out of his ass.  While the American outlook maybe isn't as stellar as years past, it seems likely we'll be able to round up at least 3 guys who can top that in 2020.

I've never heard of her, but she sounds weird.  And with the DOUBLE double letters, you know there are some skeletons in that closet!

Practically no one in the US is running under 2:12 anymore.

Meb was 2nd at USAs in 2016 (Olympic Trials) and didn't have a good race in the Olympics. He did Boston last year as sort of a swan song, and ran 2:17 for 13th place. He stated last month that he's considered coming out of retirement to race again for the 2020 Olympic Trials. If anyone can do that, and maybe make a serious challenge for the team, it would be Meb. But don't hold your breath. Ritz says he's going to give it a shot and thinks he still has a 2:08 or 2:09 in him. But I think it's going to be Rupp, one or two of the African immigrants on the US Army development team, and maybe Ward or Fauble for 3rd if they have a good day. 

Kieffer came out of practically nowhere last year to run 2:28 at NYC and was top American. Before that she was only known as US record holder for indoor marathon, a 2:42 or something she did a year and a half or two ago. She's gotten a lot of mileage out of NYC last year, but did follow up with PR this year. And she'll be in the mix in 2020--although not likely to make the team.

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 01:48:52 PM »
She does sort of sound like the type who'd get crucified on Letsrun.  Assuming there's a type who wouldn't get crucified on Letsrun.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »
Now that Desi and Shalane have won world marathon majors--and Shalane's bronze from Beijing got bumped to a silver medal--so they walk on water. Huddle would but she let up at WCs (2015? 10000 m) and got nipped by her teammate for a medal so she'll always have live with that. They all love Meb and past start like Shorter, Rodgers, JB Samuelson. And Kastor is usually up there, although there are some critics.

Pretty much anyone else is open to ridicule with impunity. Women athletes get it much worse. Especially if they are a more than a tiny bit outspoken.

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
Well of course they love the old-school white guys!  Meb got it done in both Boston and NY along with the Olympic silver, so him getting a pass is understandable too. 

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
incel white supremacist white dudes

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 07:19:34 AM »
Mike Rossi used to call them "12 basement trolls"

That's about right, but Rossi fit right in.

Today they're taking on Jared Ward, because he was "only" 6th place and 2:12.
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9096873

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
I saw a marriage proposal at the finish line of the Missoula Marathon back when I ran it in 2015.

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=104033.msg2473920;topicseen#msg2473920
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

+-SUPPORT US