Forum > General Fitness

A Runners Workout

<< < (2/2)

caribougrrl:
what do you want to get out of the weight training?  bigger muscle? more power? more endurance?  get your arms and shoulders to look as athletic as your legs?

I guess what I'm asking, is what do you mean by being physically stronger?

re_run:

--- Quote from: caribougrrl on November 18, 2016, 02:25:38 PM ---what do you want to get out of the weight training?  bigger muscle? more power? more endurance?  get your arms and shoulders to look as athletic as your legs?

I guess what I'm asking, is what do you mean by being physically stronger?

--- End quote ---

I would like to be in better physical running shape. I don’t aspire to get bigger muscles or be ripped. I’m looking for a work out to compliment my running workouts. if better times come from it great.

caribougrrl:

--- Quote from: re_run on November 22, 2016, 11:47:22 AM ---I would like to be in better physical running shape. I don’t aspire to get bigger muscles or be ripped. I’m looking for a work out to compliment my running workouts. if better times come from it great.

--- End quote ---

there's plenty of good advice up thread... I would echo suggestions to start with the basics (planks, crunches, reverse crunches, push ups, tricep dips, squats, lunges) and add hill repeats in your running routine if you don't already

modified to add: I forgot deadlifts... a bit difficult with dumbells rather than a bar - partly because the weight should typically be fairly heavy - BUT single-leg deadlifts can be pretty effective with lighter weight

if you want to leave the difficult work of having someone else make decisions for you on what to do for how long and in what order, the internet is full of workout videos... with the caveat that I'm a middle-aged woman and probably exactly the target market for it, I am a big fan of Anna Renderer...  this is a 10-minute strength routine for runners: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Strength-Training-Runners-10-Minute-Workout-40385894... if you are looking for a cardio/strength/flexibility workout, this half-hour one is pretty challenging http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/30-Minute-Pilates-Cardio-Workout-35068924

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version