Forum > General Fitness

I am a gym-member-newbie : help!

<< < (2/3) > >>

floridagal:
I appreciate your insight.

MoCo:
there are some good couch to 5K podcasts (podrunner is one) that build in the run walk intervals so you don't have to remember them/look at the clock.

buzzy:

--- Quote from: BonitaApplebum on September 16, 2017, 11:26:44 AM ---The thing to remember at the gym is that nobody really cares about your workout, they only care about their own. So unless you do something *really* over the top, like falling off the treadmill, you're just going to be background noise for everyone else. It's a hard concept to embrace, but very freeing.

Have fun! I like going to the gym, but haven't belonged to one in years due to scheduling/lifestyle stuff.

--- End quote ---

To build on this...

I know the instructors want their classes to be popular, so I would guess would be very welcoming to beginners.  The one exception may be if you take a super advanced class where it is assumed that everyone has experience with a certain type of workout.  Not sure what this would be, but I'm sure there is someone you could ask.

--buzz

Run Amok:
Yes, I enjoyn the podrunner couch25k. I have been using that one for like 10 years. He has some other interval style workouts on his website too. I don't think he supports it anymore so it's a little out of date in terms of technology.

I kind of hate working out in a regular gym because I just get bored and overwhelmed and kind of spin in circles. So, I usually get the most out of classes and the cardio room.

I'm short so I never feel like elipticals are the right stride for me. I do love me so me stairclimber though!

TwistedFlax:
Yoga has no problem with beginners.  Your level has literally zero impact on anyone else in the room, whether you’re a complete beginner or super advanced.  And yoga in particular is goofy in that it doesn’t have a linear progression—there are poses I can do no problem that some instructors struggle with, and other absolute basics (side plank) that my body absolutely will not allow.

I’d also advise trying a few different teachers/types.  It makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version