Author Topic: Your fall and winter racing plans  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
Your fall and winter racing plans
« on: October 13, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »
I'm distance running for another two weeks, with a 3.7 mile trail race next weekend and our running club's 5.3 mile trail race in two weeks.  Then I switch back to sprint training (not counting the Thanksgiving Turkey trot, and a 2-mile race in December).

In January, there's the USATF New England Masters (Providence) and USTAF Eastern Masters T&F Indoor Championships (Landover) and the Dartmouth Relays.  In February, in between skiing and hockey I may travel to Colorado for the USATF Mid America Masters T&F Championships.

All culminating in the National Masters Indoor Championships March 13-15 in Baton Rouge.  I'll focus on the 60 meters and the long jump. Although I'll run the 200 meters at the other meets, I'm uncertain about doing that at Nationals.  And of course, its all assuming I can stay healthy to Baton Rouge running well.  At age 60, half the battle in Masters Track is making it to the starting line.

You?
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
Re: Your fall and winter racing plans
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:19:37 PM »
I want to do a 5k in December to try to test things out.  I have signed up for 3m half marathon again in late January. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:29:24 PM »
I'm running the Indy Monumental Marathon in less than a month.  If things go well, my next race after that will be the Hannukkah 8K (local) in early Dec and the Frost Foot 50K (again) in mid January.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 09:40:52 PM »
USATF masters 15K in a couple weeks, going for 2nd grand prix championship win (best 5 races of the year on a 8 or 9 national race calendar). Training is going well.

USATF XC masters champs December, toughest race of the year.

Half marathon coming up maybe? It's gotta be big, fast, and certified/sanctioned, and record eligible. Indy does fit that bill but it's just 2 weeks after the 15K. Philly maybe, or maybe something in January or February. 

I am not wearing Vaporfly 4%s or NextPercents.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 09:50:11 PM »
Come to Indy, Coyote.  That's the perfect amount of recovery time.  And it's a freaking fast (and well done) half marathon.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:58 PM »
So I've actually been in a bit of a groove lately (relatively speaking) and been thinking about dabbling in the racing thing.  If all goes well I'm targeting the Phoenix Half Marathon in February.  There are a few different spring options contingent upon what happens there. 

In my buildup, I've been hitting a few trails with screaming uphills while they're still nice and snow-free (hoping for a more mild winter this year), which always seems to pay dividends, regardless of what types of courses I'm racing on.  Usually my week will consist of one of those and an hour long run, which has been getting more solid.  Hoping to be dialed into a more regular schedule by November.  I'll start mixing in some tempo stuff, hit the trail for as long as it stays clear, then gradually up the long run and hopefully get at least 4 double digit mileage runs in.  On New Year's day, there's a 5 hour timed run at our local indoor track/speed-skating facility (442 meters around, so it could be worse).  That'll be a good mental test and a reminder of the journey. 

I have a time target in my mind for the half, but remains to be seen how everything plays out and what the improvement curve for the workouts looks like.  I'll probably jump into a bunch of shorter races between now and then.  Because of life, I don't get to run with people very often, so taking those opportunities on the weekends to race into shape I think will help out a bunch. 

For now I've become a strava nerd, which is helping me to stay motivated  :specs:

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 08:14:35 AM »
Check to see if 3M is sold out. It’s net downhill and fast.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 09:23:14 AM »
It was not an easy decision, but I spent half my holiday yesterday figuring it out and making plans. Philly it is.

Indy had a lot of appeal (and less expensive overall), and weather might be better because it's two weeks earlier. However, Philly has had the history of much faster age group times. Gene Dykes set the 70+ American record there last year.  Many of the top 5 or 10 times on the veterans all-time rankings were at Philly, while no one is making the list at Indy (newer/smaller event). And since I went there last year for the 8K I know the layout and scene better, and that extra bit of familiarity will probably help some. 

Offline kawasa

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 03:16:08 PM »
I have a 5k race with the pup this weekend, I'm hoping for the overall but we'll see.

I should schedule some races, they keep me motivated.

Posted on mobile

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »
I just ran the Long Beach marathon.  I have a 5k this weekend and the Dia De Los Muertos 5k on Oct. 26 (in costume :) )  I am running the USA Womens Half Marathon in Palm Desert in November, and a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving.   I am coaching the group each Saturday preparing for the L.A. Marathon starting November 2nd through to next March, so I will be looking for Sunday races during that time.  Lots of 10ks and half marathons around here all Winter.   Hopefully I will stay healthy despite the harsh weather expected here in Southern California during the coming season  :snowball: :snowball:
@artbydmcbride

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 10:06:20 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl:

sounds like a good choice Wilson

oh I forgot to mention above that I'll be running the Atlanta Publix Half Marathon on March 1st after spectating a certain exciting race the day before  8) 8)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 07:59:08 AM »
:rotfl: :rotfl:

sounds like a good choice Wilson

oh I forgot to mention above that I'll be running the Atlanta Publix Half Marathon on March 1st after spectating a certain exciting race the day before  8) 8)

I was just thinking about such. covfeve, my ex-teammate who wanted so badly to be my coach and agent said he wants to meet here that week and I'm thinking heading out!

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »
I just ran the Long Beach marathon. 

Congrats!  BQ?

covfeve, my ex-teammate

:skep:  if that is indeed his real name.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »
Congrats!  BQ?

:skep:  if that is indeed his real name.

BQ  Hah!  No, but i am going to try this qualifying period and see if I can get to the 2021 race
@artbydmcbride

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »
but i am going to try this qualifying period and see if I can get to the 2021 race

meet up in Boston!

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »
None for me. Nagging injuries. I think I will just continue to content myself with lower millage and no racing. Hope springs eternal for the Spring.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
Did a 35K training run yesterday.  Went okay.  Now to see about entering Manchester City NH Marathon on November 10th.  48th state.   :fingers:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

+-SUPPORT US