Author Topic: Shoe Dog Thread - The Vaporfly Series  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Shoe Dog Thread - The Vaporfly Series
« on: October 17, 2019, 01:03:42 PM »
This has been discussed some in the Kipchoge and Kosgei threads, and it's a very hot topic all over social media this week.

What do you think about the leaps in shoe technology, so far (mostly) made by one company. Some of Nike's competitors have come up with prototypes available to pro runners, but not yet released to the public. Meanwhile, Nike is on it's 3rd iteration, and has had the corner on the market for two and a half years.

I'm of mixed feeling on all this. I could actually benefit from these shoes, but have held out and not making near term plans to jump on the bandwagon. Waiting for further rulings from the governing bodies and seeing what the market has to offer with other brands. 

Here's Ryan Hall's take (but please bypass his use of irregardless).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3uPF1cpAjk/?utm_source=ig_embed

This stuff is dividing the running community, sometimes breaking friendships and bonds.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

Re: Shoe Dog Thread - The Vaporfly Series
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:40:17 AM »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 09:32:14 AM »
Super controversial topic.  Without reading those links my thought is that it conveys an unfair advantage and should not be allowed.  They were able to tread into a VERY grey area with a ton of R&D money to blow, much more than their competitors by multiples of 10 and so therefore less risk if the powers that be decide to disallow them.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
Super controversial topic.  Without reading those links my thought is that it conveys an unfair advantage and should not be allowed.  They were able to tread into a VERY grey area with a ton of R&D money to blow, much more than their competitors by multiples of 10 and so therefore less risk if the powers that be decide to disallow them.

I'm hearing both sides of the argument but tend to the opinion that we really ought to slow down and think is that where we want to go? I'm finding that some of the more recreational runners are first to jump on the bandwagon, ordering the shoes 6 months before they are even available, and strongest proponents/quick to be very condescending and dismissive with quips like, "oh well, we might has well be running barefoot then!"

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »
Yup.  I've heard that too.  And the topic got heated with Volee members as well.  There's a lot of "Nike is evil for [X reason] but I won't give up my Vaporfly's.  And anyways nice people work there.  And anyways not everyone there knew about the [X reason]..."

I met a number of haute volee members who ran OTQs in the 4%. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
I see them going for about $250.  Meh, doesn't bother me.  Some people have more lung capacity than me.  Isn't that an unfair advantage?  Some people train harder than me.  Isn't that an unfair advantage?  Then again, I think Caster Semenya should be allowed to compete for everything.

I guess I am a running libertarian.  (I draw the line at PEDs).
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »
In Triathlon we have already gone carbon everything else.   Top 3 pro women at Kona
Wore the vaporflies.   The men similar shoes.  Many times I have listened to Dave Scott try to subtly (but not) get his point across that he did not have all these amenities. 

Running is more pure, so I have mixed feelings

However, thinking of putting them on my wish list.   I have a friend that has had two back surgeries run in them and he said they are amazing.   I personally, cannot physically shell out that kind of dough....but I think I could convince someone to buy them for me....maybe

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 06:16:05 PM »
Not a huge expense for equipment but high for sure. A pair of regular race flats will go for about $100 to $125, so price of 2 pairs per year. I think I saw someone say $350-$450 for the alpha fly when it comes out (later next year). If that's the case both the cost and the technology (3 carbon plates, not just one) are getting way the heck up there. I figure competition from other brands will bring the price down.

Pretty soon we'll be wearing moon shoes, looking like 1970s glam/rock stars, and bounding down the roads. Will need a 2:30 for a BQ, 2:50 for women.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
Not a huge expense for equipment but high for sure. A pair of regular race flats will go for about $100 to $125, so price of 2 pairs per year. I think I saw someone say $350-$450 for the alpha fly when it comes out (later next year). If that's the case both the cost and the technology (3 carbon plates, not just one) are getting way the heck up there. I figure competition from other brands will bring the price down.

Pretty soon we'll be wearing moon shoes, looking like 1970s glam/rock stars, and bounding down the roads. Will need a 2:30 for a BQ, 2:50 for women.

Hoka comes pretty close to the moon boot.   

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »
This vid puts into perspective how much of it was the runner vs. the shoes in the INEOS challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQRY_YzmdEI&fbclid=IwAR1NhXrAccxRfTTglMZn3K0-aRFKviB7m7wtfZQTjKqq-Md_oFWYHawJLQA&app=desktop#

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
Really? I hadn't noticed ... but then I don't pay much attention to those things either, as I'm sort of a Community of One

That's tragic ... and kinda stupid

I probably exaggerate, but did see some posts on another venue last week that were pretty snarky towards those who were less apt to jump onto the band wagon. 

+-SUPPORT US