Author Topic: Weekly Meal Planning-- what's on your list this week?  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Weekly Meal Planning-- what's on your list this week?
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:37:36 AM »
I am feeling less than inspired lately so thought maybe it'd be fun to share our weekly meal plans. Anyone wanna play?

This week I have planned so far:
Chili Bar featuring this chili: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chile-recipe.html

Panang curry: I do kind of a riff on this one but I used jarred curry paste and do my own veggie combo https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/panang-vegetable-curry-367766

Mexican salad: a riff off this recipe https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/mexican-chopped-salad-with-honey-lime-dressing-230154

Vietnamese Salad Roll Salad: this one I just make up as I go.

Then probably either a stirfry, taco salad, or ranchero eggs... but I'm not sure yet. I usually plan 3-4 meals and add as necessary.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Weekly Meal Planning-- what's on your list this week?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:00:07 AM »
I cleaned out the fridge freezer yesterday.  made two big things of chicken noodle soup from the stock and frozen chicken I found.  froze one, other for eating.

today I'm roasting a chicken for tonight so that will be good for another meal/lunches. 

chili at some point.

bacon and eggs.

pasta.

maybe homemade pizza.

It's hard to balance health with picky kids! :D

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »
This week is Monday:orzo with keilbasa and peppers,Tues: taco soup, Wed: one pan breaded lemon chicken breast with green beans and roasted potatoes, Thurs will be whatever the husband procures, Fridays: we wing it.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:36:57 PM »
Monster,  can you share the recipe for chicken? I'm always lookijng for things my stepdaughter will eat!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »
I made a batch of curry sauce tonight (from my friend's spice packet) but only used half of it on some shrimp so later this week will be some kind of curry over cauli rice.  I also baked a paleo stuffing and there's enough leftover to eat with a protein maybe tomorrow night.  And I have ahi tuna thawing in the fridge, probably for salad nicoise on Tuesday night.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
Kenyan will be out on Monday so I'm going to make a batch of funeral potatoes for dinner that night and lunches the rest of the week. I'm also planning to try this Honey Bourbon Chicken to see how we like it. I'm looking for freezer meals that I can assemble in advance and cook from frozen in the Instant Pot, and this would fit the bill. We'll probably also have tacos and spaghetti this week.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »
I made soups for the week.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:01:45 AM »
Cleaning the fridge and freezer out. I fly to San Diego later today, will be there until Wed night and then head to China on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
tonight: leftover boeuf bourguignon
later in the week: the end of the beef in a hash or perhaps with tortillas or arepas, indian-spiced cauliflower soup with toasted walnuts, mackerel with horseradish something, veg chili or curry depending whether we soak chickpeas or black beans

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
indian-spiced cauliflower soup with toasted walnuts, mackerel with horseradish something

recipes please?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »
Monster,  can you share the recipe for chicken? I'm always lookijng for things my stepdaughter will eat!
Quick notes, start the potatoes for a good ten minutes first, then add chicken, then green beans. There is no need to use that much butter.

Sheet Pan Lemon Parmesan Garlic Chicken & Veggies (Milanese) - WITH VIDEO! - Cafe Delites
https://cafedelites.com/sheet-pan-lemon-parmesan-garlic-chicken-veggies-milanese/

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
Quick notes, start the potatoes for a good ten minutes first, then add chicken, then green beans. There is no need to use that much butter.

Sheet Pan Lemon Parmesan Garlic Chicken & Veggies (Milanese) - WITH VIDEO! - Cafe Delites
https://cafedelites.com/sheet-pan-lemon-parmesan-garlic-chicken-veggies-milanese/

Thank you! I'll be making this for sure once my oven is back up & running!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
recipes please?

the cauliflower soup I cooked from memory (so, imprecisely) from a lost cookbook... but this looks similar: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/indian-spiced-cauliflower-soup-2/944e2f2c-0453-46c8-9228-17ff13a5b1c2 except no coconut milk... also a couple handfuls of walnuts sauteed with the onion and cooked in the soup plus another handful toasted and tossed hot with garam masala and used as a garnish

the mackerel plan is still very conceptual... we have some whole mackerel in the freezer and yesterday I dug up and processed our horseradish... we've gotten as far as deciding we should do something with mackerel and horseradish...  :d  I suspect we will grill the mackerel and serve with roast beets and a horseradish cream sauce (i.e. some of the grated horseradish currently sitting in vinegar, mixed with cream or creme fraiche)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:32:48 PM by caribougrrl »

Offline ihop

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
Italian sausage roasted with broccoli rabe and grapes

Some sort of chicken thigh dish

Pork loin with apples of some sort

These last two are just in their planning stages!   :D
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 07:59:12 PM »
Monday:  Sausage and bean soup served over rice (soup cooked in crock pot, made rice in IP)
Tuesday:  Pan-fried chicken thighs, roasted potatoes, and I just realized I don't have a vegetable
Wenesday:  Whatever we grab on the way home from Mason's FB game
Thursday:  Rotini with chicken sausage, diced tomatoes, wilted spinach, crumbled feta
Friday:  Taco bar

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
Cleaning the fridge and freezer out. I fly to San Diego later today, will be there until Wed night and then head to China on Saturday.

I get a strong urge for Chinese food every so often :D

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »
omg - i made this last night and it was DELICIOUS.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012849-sauteed-chicken-breasts-with-tarragon

i served it with mashed parsnips.

edit: make twice the amount of sauce - i did so in order to spoon it over the parsnips.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:43:15 PM by witchypoo »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »
tonight: leftover boeuf bourguignon
later in the week: the end of the beef in a hash or perhaps with tortillas or arepas, indian-spiced cauliflower soup with toasted walnuts, mackerel with horseradish something, veg chili or curry depending whether we soak chickpeas or black beans

How it actually turned out:
Mon - leftover boeuf bourguignon
Tue - split pea dal
Wed - great big spinach salad
Thu - the end of the boeuf bourguignon in sandwiches, w/cucumber & red onion salad
Fri - cumin-crusted pork chop w/ smokey polenta and salsa fresco
Sat - steamed cod & spinach on fried leftover polenta

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »
Last night I made a quick curry type meal using the trader joe's masala simmer sauce. I sauteed an onion, some garlic, and a big knob of ginger, threw in the last of some cauliflower rice, a package of tofu, some frozen mixed legumes and then added the simmer sauce and stuck it in the instant pot for 45 minutes to try and replicate that "all day simmer" flavor. It was a little looser than I'd hoped so although I'd planned to just represurize for the rice, I ended up dumping it into a pan to reduce for about 15 minutes while the rice cooked in the IP. The curry needed a little more oomph so I threw in about 4 chiles de arbol and another T of a hot curry powder I like. The end result was not knock-your-socks-off but was fine for a weeknight.

I don't make curry at home very often because the whole process of making curry sauce seems like it takes forever. I used to make huge batches and freeze. Maybe someday I'll be "there" again.

+-SUPPORT US