Forum > Food

What do you make from scratch on a regular basis?

<< < (2/19) > >>

picote:

--- Quote from: BonitaApplebum on January 10, 2020, 11:44:16 AM ---I don't know quite how regularly I do it, but if we are having soup I almost always make it from scratch -- I can't remember the last time I bought canned soup.

--- End quote ---

Oh, that’s a good one. I need to figure out what freezes well. We almost always have soup (and chili) as a convenience food or when we’re not feeling great, so would be nice to have a good homemade alternative.

caribougrrl:
I do freeze fresh pasta sometimes... make sure it is well floured and not sticky when it goes in the freezer, and cook straight from frozen (don't thaw)...

re: gravlax - there are a lot of recipes out there, but essentially you need salt, sugar, whatever spices tickle your fancy, and vodka... about 1 tbsp of each part per pound of fish... for spices, dill and white peppercorn is pretty traditional with or without coriander seed with or without orange zest, but you can really do pretty much anything... we sometimes use fennel seed and onion seed, or juniper berries and orange zest... cut your fish into two similar sized pieces and lay them over plastic wrap, spread the salt/sugar/spice mix over the fish, pour vodka over one piece, press the spiced side of the other on top, wrap up tight, and let it cure under weight (like a brick on top) for a few days, turning once a day... we did a blog post a few years ago with a recipe using spruce and juniper, but the technique works for any flavouring http://moosecurrry.blogspot.com/2014/06/spruce-juniper-gravlax-recipe.html

Run Amok:
I make my own dressing almost always. I think there is even a dressing thread here.

I was making our bread a lot of the time but fell out of the habit when we moved out of our house this summer.

I make soup a lot. And pasta sauce.

I prefer to make stock but storage is a problem so I just use better than bouillon and make up for it with lots of aromatics and herbs in my soups.

I have never been able to nail yogurt. But I keep trying periodically. I think I'm just picky!

Run Amok:
Oh, and jam. I usually make freezer jam in the summer with farmers market fruit. SO delicious. But then we eat it. Again, storage.

Dressing I usually just make while I'm making the salad. It takes about 30 seconds. But we don't eat creamy dressings (which are also easy just a little less so).

Almost all soups freeze well in my experience.

Oh yeah, and if you eat beans at all....cooking from scratch is so much better and cheaper and they freeze super well, so you can do them in batches.

picote:
Oh, beans are a great idea for us! I would never have thought they froze well. DD loves them but we end up with a lot of waste because unless we give her beans every night no one else eats them. Do you just make plain beans and then add flavoring when you thaw or do you make a recipe and freeze?

DH goes through a LOT of dressing, so having it made ahead of time in a big batch just makes it easier. I made one batch thinking it would last the week and was shocked at how quickly it was gone. We will often just do oil and vinegar, but he likes the added herbs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version