Author Topic: heat + eat = review  (Read 53636 times)

Offline mango

• The Runners
Re: heat + eat = review
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 07:33:54 AM »
I'm not sure if I'd want mine to be blue.

I think you'd like it -- if only in the spirit of mirth.

incidentally, where I come from, blue is considered the color of hope; purple, on the other hand, of death.

... I think a blue tint will show through the dumpling part.  Like a vein.

a bloody good hypothesis.

if that were to be the case, I would like it very much.

Offline SandraDee

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
I should have answered this ebfore...but as it has been pointed out, i am delirious.  HEE HEE.  Anyway, a place in Cleveland (west side market if anyone of you are aware of it) sells pierogis of all types.  They have some filled with purple potatoes...the shell is normal color.  You can see the color through the shell, but no, color did not transfer.  I would say the same with blue potatoes.  and that place definitely sells some interesting filled pierogies.  My DH got himself some bourbon chicken ones once while we were there. 

Oh and question for those who eat pierogies...what type of cheese do you typically see/eat in them? I ask because I have this friend at work who grew up near Detroit.  The pierogies she has always eaten are filled with some sort of white dry cheese.  I have never heard of this, nor anyone else I have asked.  I normally see cheddar (For typical filled ones that is.) 

My step family is Polish and we have made tons of homemade pierogies.  I think we use farmers cheese.  We typically make potato/cheese, sauerkraut, blueberry and prune fillings when we make it.  Last time we made them, we made about 1000! 

With my stepdad passing away almost a year ago, I hope we still get together and do it soon. It is fun.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:08:50 PM by SandraDee »
"People like you own the world" - ellenshana

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
fabulous tradition and pictures!  I hope you get to do it again soon, too.  That's really wonderful.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 01:27:37 PM »
Love it Sandra.  Sauerkraut filling sounds good to me.  I have only tried the potato kind. 
Because PANTS

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »
I don't think I've ever had pierogies.  I'm sure I'd love them, because what's not to love about potatoes and cheese?

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »
I don't think I've ever had pierogies.  I'm sure I'd love them, because what's not to love about potatoes and cheese?

See this is how I think, yet I still don't like them.  I am not sure why.  I think it is actually the shell I don't like...which I don't get either. it is dough...what isn't to like? 

I have to say, the prune and blueberry filled ones sounds really good.  and that is a ton of pierogies Sandra.  WOW!

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
I have to say, the prune and blueberry filled ones sounds really good.

they do indeed.

also, it makes me one wonder if they would turn deep purple and blue, respectively, when cooked.

so many pieorgies, so many questions, so few answers...

Offline redkitty

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »
they do indeed.

also, it makes me one wonder if they would turn deep purple and blue, respectively, when cooked.

Sandra Dee should be able to answer that one.  She has made them before.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 01:12:44 PM »
Oh and question for those who eat pierogies...what type of cheese do you typically see/eat in them? I ask because I have this friend at work who grew up near Detroit.  The pierogies she has always eaten are filled with some sort of white dry cheese.  I have never heard of this, nor anyone else I have asked.  I normally see cheddar (For typical filled ones that is.) 

i fill mine with cottage cheese and onions.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »
they do indeed.

I just googled and it looks like sometimes yes sometimes no.  I guess it depends on the thickness of the dough.  Also holy crap I am hungry now. 
Because PANTS

Offline SandraDee

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »
they do indeed.

It does depend on the thickness of the dough. No two pierogies are the same! We do usually see a little bit of the filling through the shell with the blueberry filling, but it is still primarily dough colored.  They do not turn all purple. Also, if they aren't sealed properly, the filling can leak out.

Blueberry is so good. Remember, all pierogies are fried in butter/margarine mix so the blueberry is like a yummy fried dessert!

Offline SandraDee

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »

I have to say, the prune and blueberry filled ones sounds really good.  and that is a ton of pierogies Sandra.  WOW!

I think that time it took us around 10 hours and there were about 15 of us making them! That didn't include preparing the filling the day before.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 05:11:00 AM »
No two pierogies are the same!

ah yes, of course.

and just as they should be.

I think that time it took us around 10 hours and there were about 15 of us making them! That didn't include preparing the filling the day before.

ten plus hours + fifteen plus people = a thousand plus pierogies (some of which must have been frozen for later consumption)

that sounds very nice.

your family sure knows how to do family right, SandraD; they too must own the world.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
mango, does your family have a similar Mandu-making tradition?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline ihop

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »
I love this thread.  And pierogies. 
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »
mango, does your family have a similar Mandu-making tradition?
not really.

or at least not the kind that SandraD's family has, for I have no memory of spending ten plus hours making a thousand plus mandus with fifteen plus family members.  :D

I do have fond memories of helping mom make homemade mandus on some Sunday afternoons, and mom making (what we called) dong-grang-ddang with leftover mandu filling (a mixture mainly of meat, tofu and bean sprouts) that looked like this:

needless to say, my mama's mandus are unmatched, as are her donggrangddangs.

she doesn't make them any more however; it's just too much work for a 71-year-old lady who lives alone.

but, the memories in all their delectable glory are still there, never to be forgotten.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 02:39:16 PM »
food memories are some of the best.  :heartbeat:

food = love

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 04:49:33 PM »
I do have fond memories of helping mom make homemade mandus on some Sunday afternoons, and mom making (what we called) dong-grang-ddang with leftover mandu filling (a mixture mainly of meat, tofu and bean sprouts) that looked like this:

needless to say, my mama's mandus are unmatched, as are her donggrangddangs.

hi.  would you happen to have a recipe for these dong grang ddang, or was it just a mother's little-of-this, little-of-that kinda thing?  because - as an unabashed lover of all things dumpling - i am intrigued.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 02:50:02 PM by witchypoo »

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
hi.  would you happen to have a recipe for these dong grang ddang, or was it just a mother's little-of-this, little-of-that kinda thing?
hi witchy, and yes, pretty much that -- plus, you know, more stuff.

a quick googling led me to this though: Recipe (in English) for Korean Tofu and Meat Patties aka wanja jeon, which is a fancy name for donggrangddang, which incidentally means round (donggrang) coin (ddang, kind of a slang word for coin).

and this which is in Korean but with pictures.

I cannot vouch for either of these recipes, but hopefully, they will at least give you, a seasoned cook, some ideas about how to make 'em in your own little-of-this, little-of-that plus some stuff kinda way.

also, as you can see, donggrangddangs are not dumplings but a kind of jeon; my mom just made them from leftover mandu filling, because the ingredients are pretty much the same (e.g., meat, tofu, veggies).

Quote from: witchypoo
apple zoar-too-eez
it's the shicken brother who said that, isn't it.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2013, 06:33:33 AM »
... zoartooeez... oh-wee...

there is a soft spot in my heart for linguistic eccentricities, so, mini-swoon.

+-SUPPORT US