Author Topic: Holiday baking and other food prep  (Read 85448 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Holiday baking and other food prep
« Reply #300 on: November 24, 2021, 02:30:16 PM »
I started the anadama bread this morning and because I'm having a bad sniffer day it's possible I used oyster sauce instead of molasses. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I really need to label the jars in the refrigerator
Hahah that's going to be... interesting!!! :roll:

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2021, 09:41:48 AM »
I was planning to have everything but the turkey and stuffing made, but it didn’t happen. Instead, I made nothing, so going to be a busy day!! I still need to dig out all of my recipe books.  I’m just crossing my fingers we don’t lose power.

Bonita, do you have a good creamed spinach recipe?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #302 on: November 25, 2021, 10:07:43 AM »
I worked 11 hours yesterday, so it is all today. Pumpkin pie just went in the oven :)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #303 on: November 25, 2021, 11:53:26 AM »
I'm just waiting around. I did almost everything already. I left a few little chores for DH to do today and of course now my mother thinks he made the whole meal and I'm just a lazy mofo. :roll:

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #304 on: December 24, 2021, 02:04:41 PM »
Okay what's on everyone's menu?

Christmas Eve is our big meal. We are doing surf & turf - lobsters and steaks. For appetizers we are having chowder (RI style), stuffies, and shrimp cocktail.

Christmas Day we have bagels for breakfast with lox and whitefish.

We have loads of appetizers (everyone brings some, I'm making spanikopita, charcuterie, seasoned olives, and pâté). Then I'll serve soup (spicy carrot peanut), salad (spinach with navel oranges and red onions), and crusty bread for a light meal, followed by an assortment of desserts (mostly Christmas cookies) and coffee.

Our cocktail this year is Dark and Stormy (ginger beer, lime juice, rum) but we will also have eggnog.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #305 on: December 26, 2021, 12:36:32 AM »
We did rack of lamb, asparagus and crazy potatoes for Xmas dinner. Last night was noshing on cheese and meats while opening presents. We usually do our lox and bagels on NY day.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #306 on: December 26, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »
Baking-
Cookies: gingerbread (assorted shaped), butter cookies, choc chip, pizelles (anise and vanilla), Candied oranges dipped in chocolate, peppermint patties (homemade by DD), chocolate cherry cookies, meringues
Yule Log with meringue mushrooms
Dinner: Butternut squash roast(I will upload a pic in a minute), sundried tomato rissotto, roasted veggies, mashed potatoes, large salad
Xmas morning- coffee cake.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #307 on: December 26, 2021, 11:04:35 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #308 on: December 26, 2021, 01:55:16 PM »
merigayle, that squash looks great!  What is it stuffed with?

I've been following a "Mediterraneanized" diet since early September (emphasis on veggies, fruits, beans and lentils, whole grains, fish, poultry, very little red meat, no sugar or refined flour), so this Xmas and New Year's are major departures for me!  :d

Xmas Eve:
Fish chowder for dinner, pecan and sweet potato pie for dessert

Xmas:
Exodus bagels, lox, scallion cream cheese for breakfast
Mini-cheese and chive popovers and Manchego-stuffed Medjool dates wrapped in Calabrese salami for snacks
Sirloin strip roast, mashed potatoes & gravy, steamed Brussels sprouts for dinner; steamed cranberry pudding with butter-cream sauce for dessert.  DH said he had forgotten what beef tasted like! :D

Boxing Day:
French toast made with challah for breakfast; grazing today, probably left over white bean and cabbage soup for dinner.

New Year's Eve
Rack of lamb, roast potatoes, probably broccoli rabé sautéed in olive oil with garlic; rest of the cranberry pudding and sauce for dessert

New Year's Day
Huevos rancheros and grits for brunch
Greek-style gigantes beans w/ feta cheese for dinner

#notallprogressives

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #309 on: December 27, 2021, 09:35:08 AM »
Lentils, onion, herbs, pistachios and prob other things I forgot

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #310 on: December 27, 2021, 11:50:44 AM »
My folks got lasagna and chicken alfredo from Costco.  Not as good as homemade, but still pretty good.  I hadn't had lasagna in a good long while, so it was a nice departure.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #311 on: December 27, 2021, 04:05:02 PM »
we did a standing rib roast and yorkshire pudding, saffron-mashed potatoes, roasted kalettes, glazed carrot & parsnip, gravy... cranberry-lime tart (bon appetit), berry pavlova (Mary Berry's meringue)

the best part of the whole meal though was the appetizer course, which was a salad of pea shoots, mint leaves, and baked halloumi, drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of pomegranate seed

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #312 on: December 28, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »
oh yum, bou.  That all sounds amazing, especially the salad.  I had to look up kalettes.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #313 on: December 28, 2021, 08:45:30 PM »
we did a standing rib roast and yorkshire pudding, saffron-mashed potatoes, roasted kalettes, glazed carrot & parsnip, gravy... cranberry-lime tart (bon appetit), berry pavlova (Mary Berry's meringue)

the best part of the whole meal though was the appetizer course, which was a salad of pea shoots, mint leaves, and baked halloumi, drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of pomegranate seed

:drooling-5:
Because PANTS

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #314 on: November 18, 2023, 06:37:52 AM »
bumping for 2023 holidays... what's new for everyone this year?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #315 on: November 18, 2023, 10:15:12 AM »
chili crisp turkey!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #316 on: November 28, 2023, 11:23:46 AM »
I was visiting my mother recently and her local grocery has Ontario-grown saffron which is super inexpensive for saffron. So I bought a lot of it.

On the weekend I added A COUPLE OF TABLESPOONS of it to a batch of shortbread (1 lb of butter sized batch), which were amazing.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #317 on: November 28, 2023, 11:37:34 AM »
I was visiting my mother recently and her local grocery has Ontario-grown saffron which is super inexpensive for saffron. So I bought a lot of it.

On the weekend I added A COUPLE OF TABLESPOONS of it to a batch of shortbread (1 lb of butter sized batch), which were amazing.
Omg that sounds so good!! And decadent!

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #318 on: December 09, 2023, 08:28:00 AM »
I made this cranberry tart a few weeks ago and it was amazing. I used almond flour for a simple crust and did not do the complicated hazelnut process. Very “pretty” and tasty too.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017817-cranberry-curd-tart
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #319 on: December 10, 2023, 10:12:30 AM »
That tart is beautiful, badger!

Using a recipe from the NYT's 2023 cookie week, I made gingerbread blondies.  Melting the white chocolate was a disaster, but fortunately, semi-sweet chocolate worked nicely, so I Jackson Pollocked the hell out of it.  Gooey, tasty, and easy to prepare.  I recommend watching the video in the article (no paywall).

Gingerbread Blondies

#notallprogressives

+-SUPPORT US