Author Topic: Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes  (Read 7535 times)

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
Re: Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2022, 08:31:13 PM »
Love the Pan Doc!  We have a similar one but it's Not ceramic. It's non stick coating. We use it quite a bit.

Tonight however we used a cheap electric skillet per the recipe.

Coq au Vin. And I have to say we have made this 20 times over the years. Tonight was the best version.
I think because we got the sauce right w/ right mix of chicken stock and wine...and the wine choice was good (Chianti Classico).

Also we didn't rush the last step which is to reduce the cooking liquid to 2.25 cups before adding the roux.  In the past we have no waited long enough / reduced enough.

It was great!  Coq au vin with sautéed mushrooms.

Sear the chicken in pork fat.

Into the pool

Remove chicken to make sauce

Finished product

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2022, 12:32:08 PM »
Really nice browning on the chicken!  Love those delicious mushrooms.  But where are the brown-braised white pearl onions?  I always add those per JC's recipe.  It's a bit of extra work, but worth it.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2022, 02:03:27 PM »
Really nice browning on the chicken!  Love those delicious mushrooms.  But where are the brown-braised white pearl onions?  I always add those per JC's recipe.  It's a bit of extra work, but worth it.
I love onions! Amanda hates them so we don't bother. The mushrooms are exceptional.  It says to put them on the side. But I toss them right on in.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2022, 07:58:31 PM »
Beautiful Barry!

Have a workhorse similar to this:

Not sure I need another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2022, 10:13:55 PM »
Beautiful Barry!

Not sure I need another.

That looks nice!  We don't have anything like that.

The braiser is well worth it too if you ask me. We use it more often than I would have guessed.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2022, 10:21:34 PM »
Beautiful Barry!

Not sure I need another.

That looks great, i-hop.  I love All-Clad.  Yeah, you don't need another deep skillet.  That Le Creuset braiser though.  I bought one at the Le Creuset outlet as a house-warming gift for Spawn the Elder.  He uses it a lot for all sorts of cooking, most recently to make chicken wings.

#notallprogressives

Offline ihop

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2022, 09:56:28 AM »
Maybe I don't know what a brazier is then?  I thought it was a cross between a dutch oven and a skillet? 

Regardless, I use that pan all the time and have for 20 plus years!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2022, 09:56:34 AM »
For those of you who like Le Creuset, check out Lodge’s line of enameled cast iron. Same good quality at half the price.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2022, 10:09:43 AM »
This thread is making me so hungry!!!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2022, 02:40:12 PM »
beef bourguignon last night. A made the whole thing. I did nothing. So only have a couple of pics.

Mid cook

Finished product: NOT pretty but delicious! Served over buttered noodles.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2022, 02:41:01 PM »
Yum! How long did it take?

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2022, 02:47:01 PM »
Yum! How long did it take?
All in about 4 hours. Including Prep. It cooks slowly in the oven for about 3.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2022, 03:18:56 PM »
beef bourguignon last night. A made the whole thing. I did nothing. So only have a couple of pics.

Mid cook

Finished product: NOT pretty but delicious! Served over buttered noodles.

Lovely! One my very favorites, and yes, you cannot rush it. Kudos to A!

We’re making JC’s deviled chicken with a mustard-herb coating tonight!

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2022, 04:55:51 PM »
Lovely! One my very favorites, and yes, you cannot rush it. Kudos to A!

We’re making JC’s deviled chicken with a mustard-herb coating tonight!
Ohhh that sounds awesome!  I don't think that is in the book we have (Mastering the Art...).
I'll have to double check or look it up!
Post the results!!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2022, 05:51:22 PM »
Ohhh that sounds awesome!  I don't think that is in the book we have (Mastering the Art...).
Post the results!!

Oh, I shall! :)

#notallprogressives

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2022, 09:36:22 PM »
Post the results!!

The result.  It was delicious and only moderately fussy.  Served it with a massive amount of buttered noodles (Spawn the Younger devours the leftover noodles) and a simple green salad with made-from-scratch honey mustard dressing.  Forgive the messy tablecloth.  I need to remember to ask DH to wash it this week.

The linked recipe is a close adaptation (Julia Child's Deviled Chicken with a Mustard and Breadcrumb Coasting), but I transcribed ours from her actual cookbook and added my own annotations.

Notes: Five inches from our scary broiler element?  No, just no.  Visions of flame and smoke.  Yet, JC (and the linked recipe) say to drain the juices and fat from the pan, then skim off 2 T of chicken fat, and discard the rest of the juices!  So, saving the juices was not essential.  With that in mind, Spawn the Elder grilled the spatchcocked chicken on our charcoal Weber and just used melted butter and duck fat to add to the mustard coating, then drizzled the same combination on the finished chicken.  Next time, we will open the grill cover and baste much less frequently to avoid heat loss.   He coated the grilled chicken in the mustard coating, which was a mix of Dijon and Maille whole-grain mustard, the butter-duck fat combo, and a bit of thyme and tarragon.  Then he pressed fresh bread crumbs in it and roasted for about 30 minutes at 400F in the upper 1/3 of the oven.

Everyone liked it!

After dinner, we watched the most recent episode of "Julia" on HBO Max. :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 09:39:21 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2022, 10:27:48 PM »
The result.  It was delicious and only moderately fussy.  Served it with a massive amount of buttered noodles (Spawn the Younger devours the leftover noodles) and a simple green salad with made-from-scratch honey mustard dressing.  Forgive the messy tablecloth.  I need to remember to ask DH to wash it this week.

The linked recipe is a close adaptation (Julia Child's Deviled Chicken with a Mustard and Breadcrumb Coasting), but I transcribed ours from her actual cookbook and added my own annotations.

Notes: Five inches from our scary broiler element?  No, just no.  Visions of flame and smoke.  Yet, JC (and the linked recipe) say to drain the juices and fat from the pan, then skim off 2 T of chicken fat, and discard the rest of the juices!  So, saving the juices was not essential.  With that in mind, Spawn the Elder grilled the spatchcocked chicken on our charcoal Weber and just used melted butter and duck fat to add to the mustard coating, then drizzled the same combination on the finished chicken.  Next time, we will open the grill cover and baste much less frequently to avoid heat loss.   He coated the grilled chicken in the mustard coating, which was a mix of Dijon and Maille whole-grain mustard, the butter-duck fat combo, and a bit of thyme and tarragon.  Then he pressed fresh bread crumbs in it and roasted for about 30 minutes at 400F in the upper 1/3 of the oven.

Everyone liked it!

I think I'm drooling!
That all looks so good. Parsley definitely makes buttered noodles look better!!
This is going on the list of must haves.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2022, 09:46:22 AM »
God, that looks delicious.

Offline ihop

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2022, 08:26:04 AM »
YUM!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2022, 08:49:11 AM »

Everyone liked it!

We are attempting this chicken dish this evening!

+-SUPPORT US