Author Topic: Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes  (Read 7327 times)

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes
« on: April 04, 2022, 07:40:03 PM »
Not sure this will gain much or any traction here, but inspired by nattering with Barry in the for your netflix queue thread about the new Julia Child series now airing on HBO Max, recipes we like from Child's The Way to Cook, and most importantly, Barry and A's amazing Gâteau de Crêpes à la Florentine in the Weekend dinner thread, I'll add this to the Food forum.

Prior to Julia Child's arrival on the scene, "popular" American cuisine* as seen in ladies' magazines and many cookbooks was along the line of The Gallery of Regrettable Food

Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck wrote Mastering the Art of French Cooking for American readers, which was published in 1961, introducing French cooking to the American kitchen in a more accessible manner. 

The fictionalized version of this is portrayed in the 2009 film "Julie and Julia."  The parts with Julie Powell (Amy Adams) were kinda forgettable, but Julia (Meryl Streep) and Paul (Stanley Tucci) Child's narrative was excellent.  This was the last movie I saw in the theatre with my mother, a Julia Child fan.

I'm not sure how far-reaching Child's true influence was outside of the East and West Coasts, but in rural flyover country, my parents were dedicated fans of The French Chef, which premiered on PBS in 1963.  HBO Max's show tells the story behind that.

I watched it with them.  My mother was a pretty good cook (although...Jello molds. Gah) and made the most out of our abundance of fruit and vegetables from our orchard and large farm garden, our chickens and eggs (free-range!), beef from our pasture-raised, grain-fed, and happy Angus and Hereford cattle, and pork from our neighbors' pigs (no factory-farming there).  As a busy farm wife with little or no access to a number of ingredients Julia used, she wasn't able to really use Child's recipes, but her appreciation of them on The French Chef was strong and inspired her to be a bit more imaginative.

My MIL gave us The Way to Cook years ago.  We often referred to it for preparing something special.  We've since branched out in a big way since then, but I still pick up The Way to Cook and read it like an encyclopedia or for pure entertainment. Child takes a great approach, providing a base recipe to master, then adds variations. 

Our go-to's on repeat out of The Way ro Cook are coq au vin, boeuf bourguignon, rack of lamb, and sole meunière.  I refer to it for other seafood recipes (although Jeremy Sewall from Row 34 has my heart now). There are plenty of things I'd love to try, like Barry's Gâteau de Crêpes a la Florentine!

Julia Child:  The Force is strong in that one. :)

Any favorites from you, or is Julia Child more of a cultural icon?  Not counting Dan Akyroyd.

*Not including the fantastic regional cuisines from Blacks across the South, Cajun, Creole, Cuban, Mexican, Cantonese etc. that were certainly present back then, just unknown among the ummmm, most of the dominant society of white America.

#notallprogressives

Offline VP of Tea

• The Runners
Re: Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 09:14:46 PM »
DH and I used to watch PBS cooking shows in our early dating days, and Julia child still was on tv those days. I also inherited The way to Cook from a friend but have to admit I was disappointed with it. It seems so dated.

I particularly like her show with Jacques Pepin, the respect they had for each other even when strongly disagreeing.

I read the biography her nephew (or maybe it was Paul’s nephew) wrote, which was good. Have never been able to make it through the earlier one. I did enjoy following the website/blog that became Julie/Julia, but not the movie.

And Barry’s gateau looks fantastic!
Www.trailjournals.com/airlockGR5

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 10:41:02 PM »
I'm a big fan of her ratatouille recipe. And we always like to say "some for the pot, some for the chef!" in a Julia Child voice whenever we cook with wine.

Years ago my roommate used to spot JC regularly in Cambridge. I imagine she was hard to miss!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 09:26:06 AM »
VP, yes, there have been a lot of changes in how we cook, so I can see that there are a number of recipes in The Way to Cook that are dated, so if you're comparing contemporary cuisines (especially world cuisine), it would be disappointing.  However, The Way to Cook has classics that do not go out of style, e.g., my go-to's noted above, and Bonita's ratatouille (I wanna make that now). 

Bonita, ha!  Yeah, she had quite a presence!

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 04:04:43 PM »
Great thread!

My faves off the top

The gateau I posted
Coq au vin - I like any recipe you get to set on fire
Beef bourguignon - Christmas dinner 
Onion soup
Onion quiche
Braised celery side dish
Buttered peas
Mushrooms

We are going to cook something new every Saturday in April. 

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 04:07:23 PM »
The only flop we didn't like from her mastering the art... book was beef stroganoff. It had waaaaaay too much fat and butter. Like 1/2 inch sitting on the top when it was done.  It could have been a problem with how I made it. But I'm pretty sure I followed the recipe.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 04:31:54 PM »
I think Julia Child is burned into the brain of every 70's and 80's kid because of the Swedish Chef Muppet.  I know he wasn't Julia Child, but there was this link that was made, introducing all to her.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 08:19:23 PM »
Her kitchen in the lower level of the Smithsonian Museum of American History is fabulous! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 11:03:22 AM »
I really like her Coq au Vin! I made it for my guy when we celebrated his birthday with a French Bistro theme!
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 12:08:14 PM »
Her kitchen in the lower level of the Smithsonian Museum of American History is fabulous! 

I would love to see it.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 01:30:10 PM »
I would love to see it.

As would I!  I love that peg board with the outlines of the utensils, skillets, etc.  Also that the counter height was customized for her.

I stumbled across this in a Salon article via my Google news feed:  Julia, refers...to the mother sauces (béchamel, hollandaise, velouté, espagnole and tomate) as the little black dresses of French cuisine.  I'd say there are some recipes from Child's cookbooks that also fit the "little black dress" model: classic and timeless.

#notallprogressives

Offline ihop

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 07:39:02 PM »
Yes!  The pegboard is amazing!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 09:49:07 PM »
Poulet au Porto this Saturday w/
Potatoes sautéed in butter.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 08:43:55 PM »
Poulet au Porto this Saturday w/
Potatoes sautéed in butter.

Nice!

Fillets of salmon braised with a mousseline of scallops  (from Julia's The Way to Cook) this Sunday w/ a baguette and a green veg of some sort.

We haven't made this before so it'll be an adventure, a joint effort for Spawn the Elder and me.  I volunteered to make the Hollandaise sauce that will go over the braised fish and mousseline.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2022, 11:05:04 AM »
Nice!

Fillets of salmon braised with a mousseline of scallops  (from Julia's The Way to Cook) this Sunday w/ a baguette and a green veg of some sort.

We haven't made this before so it'll be an adventure, a joint effort for Spawn the Elder and me.  I volunteered to make the Hollandaise sauce that will go over the braised fish and mousseline.
That sounds delicious! Post pictures!!

It also reminds me I need to find a decent crusty bread product for our dinner. That porto sauce needs an additional delivery mechanism. Which is easier said than done where I am.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 12:17:03 PM by Kumbaya »

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2022, 12:44:39 PM »
I've only tried one of her recipes and it was too rich for me, and the other recipes looked too heavy in meat and dairy for my taste. But I enjoyed the book Julie and Julia a lot. I like the concept of working through her cookbook as a hobby/adventure.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2022, 12:51:06 PM »
Yeh the recipes I have had / made are full of fat, cream, butter, etc.  to me that's what makes it taste good!
it's not protein, sauce on the side, and steamed veggies.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2022, 01:04:12 PM »
Yeh the recipes I have had / made are full of fat, cream, butter, etc.  to me that's what makes it taste good!
it's not protein, sauce on the side, and steamed veggies.

Yes, they are rich, for sure.  Julia never skimped on butter!   

I tend to limit my consumption of red meat (we treat it like more of a condiment than the centerpiece of a meal), and more often use olive and safflower oils vs butter for cooking.  On a weekly basis, I do eat butter in limited quantities, but I weigh it (typically 7 grams) if I am using it for, say, a French omelet.

That said, the occasional indulgence in Julia's rich recipes is fine (plus I watch my portions), but they are not something I'd prepare on a weekly basis.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 06:39:12 PM »
I'm unashamed in my fat consumption. Once a week is ok by me! Although we are only doing this for April. :D

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2022, 08:46:26 PM »
Poulet au Porto

Roasted chicken. She directs that you cook it on its side after basting all sides on a high temp for the first 15 minutes.  Then turn down the heat, and baste every 8-10 minutes until done. Turned out perfectly.

Then you carve the bird (we used a 3lb fryer), put it back in some of its cooking juices, flambé the meat with cognac, and then reheat and sit in a delicious mushroom, cream, port sauce. It doesn't look like much in this pic - - but it was excellent. 

Served with potatoes sautéed in clarified butter and fresh herbs. Add salt and pepper.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 08:47:57 PM by Kumbaya »

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2022, 07:20:30 AM »
Wow!  Looks delicious, Barry!  I read the recipe in The Way to Cook, and that checks all my boxes.  :d   The combination of mushrooms, cream, and port is always a winner.  The roast chicken technique in itself looks good, too.  Is that a Le Creuset braiser?
Did you pre-cook the potatoes then finish them in the skillet?

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2022, 08:52:37 AM »
The recipe doesn't call to pre cook the potatoes. But next time I will. Or cut them smaller.
I think the potatoes were technically correct; but still too firm in my opinion. I'd say they were right on the edge of being underdone.

Yes on Le Creuset braiser. It's seen a lot of use! A likes these and I buy them for gifts (Christmas / B'day). 

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2022, 09:32:02 AM »
Yeah, just blanching the potatoes before sautéing them would do the trick.  For roasted potatoes, I blanch them first, which allows the outer surface to be "roughed up" when I mix them with olive oil and seasonings.  They're really nice and crisp but thoroughly cooked.  I really don't like underdone potatoes.
I have a large (12 in in diameter), deep (3.5 in) Le Creuset sauté pan with lid, aubergine w/ the same ceramic interior as your braiser.  It's my workhorse! 

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2022, 10:09:14 AM »
Yeah, just blanching the potatoes before sautéing them would do the trick.  For roasted potatoes, I blanch them first, which allows the outer surface to be "roughed up" when I mix them with olive oil and seasonings.  They're really nice and crisp but thoroughly cooked.  I really don't like underdone potatoes.
I have a large (12 in in diameter), deep (3.5 in) Le Creuset sauté pan with lid, aubergine w/ the same ceramic interior as your braiser.  It's my workhorse!
That sounds like the perfect size and I like the ceramic interior! I don't think we have that one.

In the potato recipe after you sear the outside there is a step where you turn down the heat and cook the potatoes at a lower temperature for 15 -20 minutes. I thought that didn't sound like it was long enough but who am I to question Julia Child. But next time I'd say it would take 30 minutes. Or cut them smaller. Or blanch as you recommend.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2022, 12:50:49 PM »
I read somewhere adding a tablespoon of baking soda to the water when blanching will make them crispier. It seems to work for me.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2022, 11:51:06 AM »
That sounds delicious! Post pictures!!

It also reminds me I need to find a decent crusty bread product for our dinner. That porto sauce needs an additional delivery mechanism. Which is easier said than done where I am.

OK, here are the photos.  Food photography is tricky, and to look decent, a professional is needed. A lot of home cook photos are just...gross.  These fall under the latter category and are not pretty.  Comments on the recipe below.

Looks like some horror from the Gallery of Regrettable food.  :D  It tasted and smelled delicious though.

Here's a serving.  I was able to eat maybe 2/3 of the fish/scallop mousseline.  Just one piece of bread.  I think I ate more butter yesterday than I have in over a year!  Finished my steamed spinach though!  The fish was NOT easy to serve (see blobs on table cloth).

Comments on recipe.

Julia's master recipe for braised salmon with aromatic vegetables was actually easy.  Salmon, vegs, and juices were delicious.   

Scallop mousse (goes on top of the salmon and veg), a mix of sole and scallops, was easy to prepare, but it was bland.  Needs some zhushing up, like addition of a bit more white pepper, maybe 1/2 tsp of Hungarian hot paprika, and a tablespoon or 2 of Cognac.  Cooking time was 40 minutes vs. Julia's 20 to 25, but our oven's temp is funky.  We had to crank it up on the setting to actually heat closer to 350.  I'd really like a dual fuel stove. I hate the damn gas oven.

The mousseline sauce was amaaaaazing, but incredibly rich (butter, so much butter).  The base is JC's recipe for hollandaise (best recipe and procedure I have seen yet - produced a nice thick sauce that did not curdle), then the very reduced juices from the fish are added, followed by whipped cream to lighten it. "Lighten." Heh.  Then it's all run under the broiler.  Per Julia, 2 inches away.  I set the platter 6 inches away.  Even then, that mound was really brown!  Spawn the Elder snatched it out of there before it burned, thankfully.

We reduced the total recipe by 1/2, and it still made a lot.  Sent about 1/3 of it home with Spawn the Elder.  It was an adventure, but I won't repeat it.  The master recipe for braised salmon filet though, yeah, definitely would repeat that!

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2022, 06:40:25 AM »
OK, here are the photos.  Food photography is tricky, and to look decent, a professional is needed. A lot of home cook photos are just...gross.  These fall under the latter category and are not pretty.  Comments on the recipe below.

Looks like some horror from the Gallery of Regrettable food.  :D  It tasted and smelled delicious though.

Here's a serving.  I was able to eat maybe 2/3 of the fish/scallop mousseline.  Just one piece of bread.  I think I ate more butter yesterday than I have in over a year!  Finished my steamed spinach though!  The fish was NOT easy to serve (see blobs on table cloth).

Comments on recipe.

Julia's master recipe for braised salmon with aromatic vegetables was actually easy.  Salmon, vegs, and juices were delicious.   

Scallop mousse (goes on top of the salmon and veg), a mix of sole and scallops, was easy to prepare, but it was bland.  Needs some zhushing up, like addition of a bit more white pepper, maybe 1/2 tsp of Hungarian hot paprika, and a tablespoon or 2 of Cognac.  Cooking time was 40 minutes vs. Julia's 20 to 25, but our oven's temp is funky.  We had to crank it up on the setting to actually heat closer to 350.  I'd really like a dual fuel stove. I hate the damn gas oven.

The mousseline sauce was amaaaaazing, but incredibly rich (butter, so much butter).  The base is JC's recipe for hollandaise (best recipe and procedure I have seen yet - produced a nice thick sauce that did not curdle), then the very reduced juices from the fish are added, followed by whipped cream to lighten it. "Lighten." Heh.  Then it's all run under the broiler.  Per Julia, 2 inches away.  I set the platter 6 inches away.  Even then, that mound was really brown!  Spawn the Elder snatched it out of there before it burned, thankfully.

We reduced the total recipe by 1/2, and it still made a lot.  Sent about 1/3 of it home with Spawn the Elder.  It was an adventure, but I won't repeat it.  The master recipe for braised salmon filet though, yeah, definitely would repeat that!
Wow!  I think that looks delicious!!
I also love that you add whipped cream to lighten it. :D

She's definitely not afraid of a little butter. 

I also think they may under report cooking times because they were working in commercial kitchens with heavy duty equipment.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2022, 01:00:34 PM »
I also think they may under report cooking times because they were working in commercial kitchens with heavy duty equipment.

The recipes were heavily tested in "home kitchens" so maybe you just aren't a good cook, Barry.  :D

Great thread, by the way! Bring on all the butter.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2022, 03:12:47 PM »
The recipes were heavily tested in "home kitchens" so maybe you just aren't a good cook, Barry.  :D

Great thread, by the way! Bring on all the butter.

Home kitchens with a Wolf range/oven? ;)

Mmmmmmm...butter.

#notallprogressives

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2022, 03:46:11 PM »
Home kitchens with a Wolf range/oven? ;)

Mmmmmmm...butter.

Well, yeah. How else could you prepare this?

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2022, 04:12:12 PM »
Well, yeah. How else could you prepare this?

True, true.  Her sole meunière procedure (all stove top) is great and easy in the home kitchen.  I love our Bosch gas top on our range, but the oven sucks. 

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2022, 04:14:50 PM »
That looks delicious!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2022, 04:16:48 PM »
Our range and oven is all Jennaire 1990s stuff. Still works awesome but the oven is tiny.

I like it and don't want to replace despite the pressure I feel daily / weekly by the better cook I live with.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2022, 03:00:51 PM »
That looks delicious!

It looks like a dehydrated cheese burger in a bowl of watered down tomato soup.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2022, 06:03:41 PM »
Yum! It need 7-up Salad as a side.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2022, 06:25:04 PM »

Looks sort of Regrettable. :D

#notallprogressives

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2022, 08:10:18 PM »
Throw it all in a blender and voila, deconstructed soup and sandwich you can eat with a straw. 

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2022, 10:06:16 PM »
Coq au vin tomorrow.
I get to set some chicken on fire again this weekend!

Offline ihop

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2022, 04:31:15 PM »
More photos Barry and Doc!

I love Le Creuset pans and that braiser is tempting…

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2022, 05:33:19 PM »
Hmmmmm, coq au vin!  One of my favorites.  No Julia (other than watching the HBO show) this weekend.  Spawn the Elder is preparing a pork loin, onion, and apple dish from Christopher Kimball (Milk Street; Boston Globe) for dinner, and the DH is planning on grilling a leg of lamb (butterflied) for dinner tomorrow.

More photos Barry and Doc!

I love Le Creuset pans and that braiser is tempting…

Here's my deep skillet Le Creuset.  :)  It's now about 9 years old, and we use it for so much, from searing steaks and scallops to braises to slow-cooked stews.  We replaced the knob on the lid with a metal one so it is completely oven-safe.  S the E will use it this evening.  I bought it at Williams Sonoma.  I think they may carry it exclusively, because I have not seen it on the Le Creuset site.  Not cheap but worth every penny.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 05:34:52 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2022, 08:31:13 PM »
Love the Pan Doc!  We have a similar one but it's Not ceramic. It's non stick coating. We use it quite a bit.

Tonight however we used a cheap electric skillet per the recipe.

Coq au Vin. And I have to say we have made this 20 times over the years. Tonight was the best version.
I think because we got the sauce right w/ right mix of chicken stock and wine...and the wine choice was good (Chianti Classico).

Also we didn't rush the last step which is to reduce the cooking liquid to 2.25 cups before adding the roux.  In the past we have no waited long enough / reduced enough.

It was great!  Coq au vin with sautéed mushrooms.

Sear the chicken in pork fat.

Into the pool

Remove chicken to make sauce

Finished product

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2022, 12:32:08 PM »
Really nice browning on the chicken!  Love those delicious mushrooms.  But where are the brown-braised white pearl onions?  I always add those per JC's recipe.  It's a bit of extra work, but worth it.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2022, 02:03:27 PM »
Really nice browning on the chicken!  Love those delicious mushrooms.  But where are the brown-braised white pearl onions?  I always add those per JC's recipe.  It's a bit of extra work, but worth it.
I love onions! Amanda hates them so we don't bother. The mushrooms are exceptional.  It says to put them on the side. But I toss them right on in.

Offline ihop

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2022, 07:58:31 PM »
Beautiful Barry!

Have a workhorse similar to this:

Not sure I need another.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2022, 10:13:55 PM »
Beautiful Barry!

Not sure I need another.

That looks nice!  We don't have anything like that.

The braiser is well worth it too if you ask me. We use it more often than I would have guessed.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2022, 10:21:34 PM »
Beautiful Barry!

Not sure I need another.

That looks great, i-hop.  I love All-Clad.  Yeah, you don't need another deep skillet.  That Le Creuset braiser though.  I bought one at the Le Creuset outlet as a house-warming gift for Spawn the Elder.  He uses it a lot for all sorts of cooking, most recently to make chicken wings.

#notallprogressives

Offline ihop

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2022, 09:56:28 AM »
Maybe I don't know what a brazier is then?  I thought it was a cross between a dutch oven and a skillet? 

Regardless, I use that pan all the time and have for 20 plus years!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2022, 09:56:34 AM »
For those of you who like Le Creuset, check out Lodge’s line of enameled cast iron. Same good quality at half the price.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2022, 10:09:43 AM »
This thread is making me so hungry!!!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2022, 02:40:12 PM »
beef bourguignon last night. A made the whole thing. I did nothing. So only have a couple of pics.

Mid cook

Finished product: NOT pretty but delicious! Served over buttered noodles.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2022, 02:41:01 PM »
Yum! How long did it take?

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2022, 02:47:01 PM »
Yum! How long did it take?
All in about 4 hours. Including Prep. It cooks slowly in the oven for about 3.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2022, 03:18:56 PM »
beef bourguignon last night. A made the whole thing. I did nothing. So only have a couple of pics.

Mid cook

Finished product: NOT pretty but delicious! Served over buttered noodles.

Lovely! One my very favorites, and yes, you cannot rush it. Kudos to A!

We’re making JC’s deviled chicken with a mustard-herb coating tonight!

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2022, 04:55:51 PM »
Lovely! One my very favorites, and yes, you cannot rush it. Kudos to A!

We’re making JC’s deviled chicken with a mustard-herb coating tonight!
Ohhh that sounds awesome!  I don't think that is in the book we have (Mastering the Art...).
I'll have to double check or look it up!
Post the results!!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2022, 05:51:22 PM »
Ohhh that sounds awesome!  I don't think that is in the book we have (Mastering the Art...).
Post the results!!

Oh, I shall! :)

#notallprogressives

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2022, 09:36:22 PM »
Post the results!!

The result.  It was delicious and only moderately fussy.  Served it with a massive amount of buttered noodles (Spawn the Younger devours the leftover noodles) and a simple green salad with made-from-scratch honey mustard dressing.  Forgive the messy tablecloth.  I need to remember to ask DH to wash it this week.

The linked recipe is a close adaptation (Julia Child's Deviled Chicken with a Mustard and Breadcrumb Coasting), but I transcribed ours from her actual cookbook and added my own annotations.

Notes: Five inches from our scary broiler element?  No, just no.  Visions of flame and smoke.  Yet, JC (and the linked recipe) say to drain the juices and fat from the pan, then skim off 2 T of chicken fat, and discard the rest of the juices!  So, saving the juices was not essential.  With that in mind, Spawn the Elder grilled the spatchcocked chicken on our charcoal Weber and just used melted butter and duck fat to add to the mustard coating, then drizzled the same combination on the finished chicken.  Next time, we will open the grill cover and baste much less frequently to avoid heat loss.   He coated the grilled chicken in the mustard coating, which was a mix of Dijon and Maille whole-grain mustard, the butter-duck fat combo, and a bit of thyme and tarragon.  Then he pressed fresh bread crumbs in it and roasted for about 30 minutes at 400F in the upper 1/3 of the oven.

Everyone liked it!

After dinner, we watched the most recent episode of "Julia" on HBO Max. :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 09:39:21 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2022, 10:27:48 PM »
The result.  It was delicious and only moderately fussy.  Served it with a massive amount of buttered noodles (Spawn the Younger devours the leftover noodles) and a simple green salad with made-from-scratch honey mustard dressing.  Forgive the messy tablecloth.  I need to remember to ask DH to wash it this week.

The linked recipe is a close adaptation (Julia Child's Deviled Chicken with a Mustard and Breadcrumb Coasting), but I transcribed ours from her actual cookbook and added my own annotations.

Notes: Five inches from our scary broiler element?  No, just no.  Visions of flame and smoke.  Yet, JC (and the linked recipe) say to drain the juices and fat from the pan, then skim off 2 T of chicken fat, and discard the rest of the juices!  So, saving the juices was not essential.  With that in mind, Spawn the Elder grilled the spatchcocked chicken on our charcoal Weber and just used melted butter and duck fat to add to the mustard coating, then drizzled the same combination on the finished chicken.  Next time, we will open the grill cover and baste much less frequently to avoid heat loss.   He coated the grilled chicken in the mustard coating, which was a mix of Dijon and Maille whole-grain mustard, the butter-duck fat combo, and a bit of thyme and tarragon.  Then he pressed fresh bread crumbs in it and roasted for about 30 minutes at 400F in the upper 1/3 of the oven.

Everyone liked it!

I think I'm drooling!
That all looks so good. Parsley definitely makes buttered noodles look better!!
This is going on the list of must haves.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2022, 09:46:22 AM »
God, that looks delicious.

Offline ihop

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2022, 08:26:04 AM »
YUM!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2022, 08:49:11 AM »

Everyone liked it!

We are attempting this chicken dish this evening!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2022, 12:02:34 PM »
We are attempting this chicken dish this evening!

Oooh, I think you'll like it!  Let us know how it turns out.  That mustard and bread crumb coating = much yum.

Enjoyed the finale of Julia and happy that it has been renewed for another season.  Watching the series makes me want to go shopping at Savenor's! 

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2022, 08:52:44 PM »
Oooh, I think you'll like it!  Let us know how it turns out.  That mustard and bread crumb coating = much yum.

Enjoyed the finale of Julia and happy that it has been renewed for another season.  Watching the series makes me want to go shopping at Savenor's!
We made it..... and It was delicious!
The breadcrumb Dijon shallot concoction was fantastic. Ours wasn't as pretty as yours though.
Most of the coating fell off when I carved the bird but it made a delicious little side dish.
I might quarter the bird next time we make it to eliminate that.
I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2022, 11:01:17 AM »
You wouldn't believe the coordinated effort between Spawn the Elder and me to transfer the bird to the serving platter without messing with the crust! :D   When we carved it, yep, the coating falls off, but we served it on the side.  Quartering the bird is a great idea!  Did you grill the chicken first?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:03:43 AM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2022, 02:11:31 PM »
You wouldn't believe the coordinated effort between Spawn the Elder and me to transfer the bird to the serving platter without messing with the crust! :D   When we carved it, yep, the coating falls off, but we served it on the side.  Quartering the bird is a great idea!  Did you grill the chicken first?
I can imagine!  Hahahaha. It was a beast to maneuver.

We did not grill it. A spatchcocked the bird. I cooked it according to the directions in the Mastering book. So broiled at 450-500 for 10 minutes each side basting every 5 minutes with butter and its own cooking juices.  The bird was brown but clearly not cooked through so I turned down the oven and baked it for 15 more minutes at 350.

The A applied the coating and broiled until brown.

I have a picture of the broiled and browned bird I'll post here in a bit.

I had a drum stick and thigh last night and used the leftover breast today for a sandwich. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2022, 02:17:33 PM »
My mom used to make a very similar recipe. She just used chicken thighs, or sometimes Maryland cuts (thigh + drumstick) instead of a whole bird, which makes it easier and also more scalable depending on how many she was feeding. It's so good!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2022, 02:50:11 PM »
It is excellent on chicken thighs which is what I had last night. A thigh and drum stick.

I prefer dark meat chicken and Turkey.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2022, 02:59:18 PM »
Oh and if you want a delicious sandwich with leftovers: thin sliced breast meat, thick layer of breadcrumb coating, slice of Swiss cheese, and a tiny amount of Dijon on a sesame brioche bun.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 10:06:30 PM by Kumbaya »

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2022, 09:11:17 PM »
It is excellent on chicken thighs which is what I had last night. A thigh and drum stick.

I prefer dark meat chicken and Turkey.

I like the idea of using leg quarters for this.  A lot.  But...the presentation is lacking. ;)

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2022, 07:14:42 PM »
Tonight: Carré d'agneau à la moutarde. W/ roasted broccoli.

The Gigot à la moutarde recipe but using rack of lamb rather than a 6-7lb leg. :D

It's a bit of a splurge - but still cheaper (and better) than a dinner out.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2022, 06:17:31 PM »
R.I.P.  Julie Powell

Julie Powell, blogger of the Julie/Julia Project and author of Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously, died from cardiac arrest on October 26.  She was only 49 yr old.  In her blog, Powell chronicled attempts to cook all 524 recipes from Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1.  Her writing, along with Julia Child's memoir, My Life in France, was the inspiration for Nora Ephron's movie Julie & Julia.

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2022, 10:39:48 PM »
Oh no!!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2022, 06:57:13 PM »
Wow, that's scary. So young.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2022, 07:52:35 AM »
We did Beef Bourguignon last night.  Quite good.
I am so ready for the holidays to be over though.

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2022, 01:37:17 PM »
Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic.  We usually make it a few times during the colder months.

For NYE, we're having Julia's version of roasted racks of lamb: coated with a mustard sauce, baked at high heat, then coated with bread crumbs and baked at a lower heat; probably similar to Barry's carré d'agneau à la moutarde.  Also trying her oven-roasted potato galette recipe with a modification from Serious Eats.  Sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic and red pepper as a side. Haricot verts as a side (broccoli rabe is for tomorrow). Leftover cranberry pudding with butter-cream sauce for dessert.  Spawn the Elder bought a fancy DOCG prosecco.*

*I resumed light imbibing.  When I had a follow-up appointment with my gastroenterologist in November, she said it was fine for me to resume moderate alcohol consumption since my liver abnormalities (identified in 2021) were actually the result of my autoimmune flare and the lymphoma, both effectively managed/resolved, and NOT liver disease.  I'm still keeping wine and booze very VERY moderate since I don't want to stress my physiology.  Like no more than 4 ounces of wine and an ounce or less of cognac or Scotch for a weekend dinner/dessert.  My days of 4 ounce Vesper martinis are done!  :d
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 02:58:39 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »
Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic.  We usually make it a few times during the colder months.

For NYE, we're having Julia's version of roasted racks of lamb: coated with a mustard sauce, baked at high heat, then coated with bread crumbs and baked at a lower heat; probably similar to Barry's carré d'agneau à la moutarde.  Also trying her oven-roasted potato galette recipe with a modification from Serious Eats.  Sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic and red pepper as a side.  Leftover cranberry pudding with butter-cream sauce for dessert.  Spawn the Elder bought a fancy DOCG prosecco.*

*When I had a follow-up appointment with my gastroenterologist in November, she said it was fine for me to resume moderate alcohol consumption since my liver abnormalities (identified in 2021) were actually the result of my autoimmune flare and the lymphoma, both effectively managed/resolved, and NOT liver disease.  I'm still keeping wine and booze very VERY moderate since I don't want to stress my physiology.  Like no more than 4 ounces of wine and an ounce or less of cognac or Scotch for a weekend dinner/dessert.  My days of 4 ounce Vesper martinis are done!  :d

Oh, that potato galette sounds interesting. Is it online? We’re doing ribeyes and some sort of roasted veggie. Our traditional nye has included smashed potatoes with sour cream and caviar, but I didn’t want to spend the extra $ on caviar this year. We had them without on Xmas, so maybe something different would be better.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2022, 02:03:08 PM »
Oh, that potato galette sounds interesting. Is it online? We’re doing ribeyes and some sort of roasted veggie. Our traditional nye has included smashed potatoes with sour cream and caviar, but I didn’t want to spend the extra $ on caviar this year. We had them without on Xmas, so maybe something different would be better.

Not online but here's the recipe.  Keep in mind we haven't tried this yet but it looks straightforward.  The parboiling in water with salt and vinegar is the Serious Eats mod.

Oven-Roasted Potato Galette

From The Way to Cook by Julia Child

Thinly sliced potatoes are tossed in butter then roasted in a thin layer in the oven.  They are lightly browned and tenderly crisp. 

For 6 servings

1 ½ pound “boiling” potatoes (red potatoes or Yukon Golds)
3 T to 4T melted butter, olive oil, or duck/goose/chicken fat
Seasonings:  salt, freshly ground pepper, and if you wish, thyme or mixed herbs, and/or puréed garlic

Special equipment suggestion: A slicing device is useful but a good knife works; a nonstick baking surface is essential, e.g., an ovenproof nonstick skillet or a very well-seasoned cast iron skillet.

Preparing the potatoes.  Preheat the oven to 400F.  Peel potatoes. Slice into ~ ¼ inch thick slices. Put slices in a large saucepan, ensuring slices are covered with cold water (use about 2 quarts of water).  Add the following to the water:

2 T kosher salt (18 grams)
2T white vinegar

Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until potatoes are barely tender, offering some resistance when poked with a paring knife, about 4 minutes. Drain potatoes; spread out over a baking sheet to dry for about 20 minutes or so.  Pat with paper towels if needed.

Place potato slices in a large mixing bowl.  Pour melted fat or olive oil over the potato slices, add salt and other seasonings, then gently mix with hands to coat the slices.

Baking 30 to 30 minutes.  Arrange slices neatly in the skillet.  Bake in upper middle level of the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then rapidly press down with a spatula or back of a wooden spoon.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until lightly browned.  If possible, turn them over to brown bottom layer (might be risky).

Ahead-of-time note: When done somewhat ahead, the potatoes will keep nicely if they remain uncovered at room temperature.  Reheat in the oven for a few minutes just before serving.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2022, 03:11:03 PM »

For NYE, we're having Julia's version of roasted racks of lamb: coated with a mustard sauce, baked at high heat, then coated with bread crumbs and baked at a lower heat; probably similar to Barry's carré d'agneau à la moutarde.  Also trying her oven-roasted potato galette recipe with a modification from Serious Eats.  Sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic and red pepper as a side. Haricot verts as a side (broccoli rabe is for tomorrow). Leftover cranberry pudding with butter-cream sauce for dessert.  Spawn the Elder bought a fancy DOCG prosecco.*

*I resumed light imbibing.  When I had a follow-up appointment with my gastroenterologist in November, she said it was fine for me to resume moderate alcohol consumption since my liver abnormalities (identified in 2021) were actually the result of my autoimmune flare and the lymphoma, both effectively managed/resolved, and NOT liver disease.  I'm still keeping wine and booze very VERY moderate since I don't want to stress my physiology.  Like no more than 4 ounces of wine and an ounce or less of cognac or Scotch for a weekend dinner/dessert.  My days of 4 ounce Vesper martinis are done!  :d
That mustard sauce is delicious on rack of lamb!!
Enjoy!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2022, 03:12:02 PM »
Not online but here's the recipe.  Keep in mind we haven't tried this yet but it looks straightforward.  The parboiling in water with salt and vinegar is the Serious Eats mod.

Oven-Roasted Potato Galette

From The Way to Cook by Julia Child

Thinly sliced potatoes are tossed in butter then roasted in a thin layer in the oven.  They are lightly browned and tenderly crisp. 

For 6 servings

1 ½ pound “boiling” potatoes (red potatoes or Yukon Golds)
3 T to 4T melted butter, olive oil, or duck/goose/chicken fat
Seasonings:  salt, freshly ground pepper, and if you wish, thyme or mixed herbs, and/or puréed garlic

Special equipment suggestion: A slicing device is useful but a good knife works; a nonstick baking surface is essential, e.g., an ovenproof nonstick skillet or a very well-seasoned cast iron skillet.

Preparing the potatoes.  Preheat the oven to 400F.  Peel potatoes. Slice into ~ ¼ inch thick slices. Put slices in a large saucepan, ensuring slices are covered with cold water (use about 2 quarts of water).  Add the following to the water:

2 T kosher salt (18 grams)
2T white vinegar

Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until potatoes are barely tender, offering some resistance when poked with a paring knife, about 4 minutes. Drain potatoes; spread out over a baking sheet to dry for about 20 minutes or so.  Pat with paper towels if needed.

Place potato slices in a large mixing bowl.  Pour melted fat or olive oil over the potato slices, add salt and other seasonings, then gently mix with hands to coat the slices.

Baking 30 to 30 minutes.  Arrange slices neatly in the skillet.  Bake in upper middle level of the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then rapidly press down with a spatula or back of a wooden spoon.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until lightly browned.  If possible, turn them over to brown bottom layer (might be risky).

Ahead-of-time note: When done somewhat ahead, the potatoes will keep nicely if they remain uncovered at room temperature.  Reheat in the oven for a few minutes just before serving.
That also sounds delicious!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2022, 09:38:43 PM »
That also sounds delicious!

The salted water seasons the potato slices, so no need to add any more salt IMO. We added some as directed in Julia's recipe, and it was a bit too salty, even for me.  Lamb was fab as usual.  We have used Julia's recipe for rack of lamb for years.  We had a red Bordeaux  w/ dinner and the fancy Prosecco with dessert.  Both were delicious.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2023, 11:41:10 AM »
The salted water seasons the potato slices, so no need to add any more salt IMO. We added some as directed in Julia's recipe, and it was a bit too salty, even for me.  Lamb was fab as usual.  We have used Julia's recipe for rack of lamb for years.  We had a red Bordeaux  w/ dinner and the fancy Prosecco with dessert.  Both were delicious.
Now I want rack of lamb!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2023, 09:58:52 PM »
HBO/Max "Julia" Season 2 premiered this week so I made her classic sole meunière for supper!

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2023, 11:51:18 AM »
HBO/Max "Julia" Season 2 premiered this week so I made her classic sole meunière for supper!
I love that.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2023, 12:05:23 PM »
I love that.

One of my favorites!  The fish was really fresh.  The fond got pretty brown but tasty.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2023, 12:38:37 PM »
One of my favorites!  The fish was really fresh.  The fond got pretty brown but tasty.

That looks amazing!
When we went to Paris last year I had it two nights in a row.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2023, 09:04:12 PM »
I had no idea this existed. We just started it tonight!

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2023, 08:49:05 AM »
I had no idea this existed. We just started it tonight!

You need to hang out in the Netflix thread!
Great show.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2023, 05:44:41 PM »
You need to hang out in the Netflix thread!
Great show.
I guess so! We watched the first few episodes this weekend and both really like it.

+-SUPPORT US