Author Topic: Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes  (Read 7329 times)

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes
« on: April 04, 2022, 07:40:03 PM »
Not sure this will gain much or any traction here, but inspired by nattering with Barry in the for your netflix queue thread about the new Julia Child series now airing on HBO Max, recipes we like from Child's The Way to Cook, and most importantly, Barry and A's amazing Gâteau de Crêpes à la Florentine in the Weekend dinner thread, I'll add this to the Food forum.

Prior to Julia Child's arrival on the scene, "popular" American cuisine* as seen in ladies' magazines and many cookbooks was along the line of The Gallery of Regrettable Food

Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck wrote Mastering the Art of French Cooking for American readers, which was published in 1961, introducing French cooking to the American kitchen in a more accessible manner. 

The fictionalized version of this is portrayed in the 2009 film "Julie and Julia."  The parts with Julie Powell (Amy Adams) were kinda forgettable, but Julia (Meryl Streep) and Paul (Stanley Tucci) Child's narrative was excellent.  This was the last movie I saw in the theatre with my mother, a Julia Child fan.

I'm not sure how far-reaching Child's true influence was outside of the East and West Coasts, but in rural flyover country, my parents were dedicated fans of The French Chef, which premiered on PBS in 1963.  HBO Max's show tells the story behind that.

I watched it with them.  My mother was a pretty good cook (although...Jello molds. Gah) and made the most out of our abundance of fruit and vegetables from our orchard and large farm garden, our chickens and eggs (free-range!), beef from our pasture-raised, grain-fed, and happy Angus and Hereford cattle, and pork from our neighbors' pigs (no factory-farming there).  As a busy farm wife with little or no access to a number of ingredients Julia used, she wasn't able to really use Child's recipes, but her appreciation of them on The French Chef was strong and inspired her to be a bit more imaginative.

My MIL gave us The Way to Cook years ago.  We often referred to it for preparing something special.  We've since branched out in a big way since then, but I still pick up The Way to Cook and read it like an encyclopedia or for pure entertainment. Child takes a great approach, providing a base recipe to master, then adds variations. 

Our go-to's on repeat out of The Way ro Cook are coq au vin, boeuf bourguignon, rack of lamb, and sole meunière.  I refer to it for other seafood recipes (although Jeremy Sewall from Row 34 has my heart now). There are plenty of things I'd love to try, like Barry's Gâteau de Crêpes a la Florentine!

Julia Child:  The Force is strong in that one. :)

Any favorites from you, or is Julia Child more of a cultural icon?  Not counting Dan Akyroyd.

*Not including the fantastic regional cuisines from Blacks across the South, Cajun, Creole, Cuban, Mexican, Cantonese etc. that were certainly present back then, just unknown among the ummmm, most of the dominant society of white America.

#notallprogressives

Offline VP of Tea

• The Runners
Re: Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 09:14:46 PM »
DH and I used to watch PBS cooking shows in our early dating days, and Julia child still was on tv those days. I also inherited The way to Cook from a friend but have to admit I was disappointed with it. It seems so dated.

I particularly like her show with Jacques Pepin, the respect they had for each other even when strongly disagreeing.

I read the biography her nephew (or maybe it was Paul’s nephew) wrote, which was good. Have never been able to make it through the earlier one. I did enjoy following the website/blog that became Julie/Julia, but not the movie.

And Barry’s gateau looks fantastic!
Www.trailjournals.com/airlockGR5

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 10:41:02 PM »
I'm a big fan of her ratatouille recipe. And we always like to say "some for the pot, some for the chef!" in a Julia Child voice whenever we cook with wine.

Years ago my roommate used to spot JC regularly in Cambridge. I imagine she was hard to miss!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 09:26:06 AM »
VP, yes, there have been a lot of changes in how we cook, so I can see that there are a number of recipes in The Way to Cook that are dated, so if you're comparing contemporary cuisines (especially world cuisine), it would be disappointing.  However, The Way to Cook has classics that do not go out of style, e.g., my go-to's noted above, and Bonita's ratatouille (I wanna make that now). 

Bonita, ha!  Yeah, she had quite a presence!

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 04:04:43 PM »
Great thread!

My faves off the top

The gateau I posted
Coq au vin - I like any recipe you get to set on fire
Beef bourguignon - Christmas dinner 
Onion soup
Onion quiche
Braised celery side dish
Buttered peas
Mushrooms

We are going to cook something new every Saturday in April. 

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 04:07:23 PM »
The only flop we didn't like from her mastering the art... book was beef stroganoff. It had waaaaaay too much fat and butter. Like 1/2 inch sitting on the top when it was done.  It could have been a problem with how I made it. But I'm pretty sure I followed the recipe.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 04:31:54 PM »
I think Julia Child is burned into the brain of every 70's and 80's kid because of the Swedish Chef Muppet.  I know he wasn't Julia Child, but there was this link that was made, introducing all to her.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 08:19:23 PM »
Her kitchen in the lower level of the Smithsonian Museum of American History is fabulous! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 11:03:22 AM »
I really like her Coq au Vin! I made it for my guy when we celebrated his birthday with a French Bistro theme!
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 12:08:14 PM »
Her kitchen in the lower level of the Smithsonian Museum of American History is fabulous! 

I would love to see it.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 01:30:10 PM »
I would love to see it.

As would I!  I love that peg board with the outlines of the utensils, skillets, etc.  Also that the counter height was customized for her.

I stumbled across this in a Salon article via my Google news feed:  Julia, refers...to the mother sauces (béchamel, hollandaise, velouté, espagnole and tomate) as the little black dresses of French cuisine.  I'd say there are some recipes from Child's cookbooks that also fit the "little black dress" model: classic and timeless.

#notallprogressives

Offline ihop

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 07:39:02 PM »
Yes!  The pegboard is amazing!

La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 09:49:07 PM »
Poulet au Porto this Saturday w/
Potatoes sautéed in butter.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 08:43:55 PM »
Poulet au Porto this Saturday w/
Potatoes sautéed in butter.

Nice!

Fillets of salmon braised with a mousseline of scallops  (from Julia's The Way to Cook) this Sunday w/ a baguette and a green veg of some sort.

We haven't made this before so it'll be an adventure, a joint effort for Spawn the Elder and me.  I volunteered to make the Hollandaise sauce that will go over the braised fish and mousseline.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2022, 11:05:04 AM »
Nice!

Fillets of salmon braised with a mousseline of scallops  (from Julia's The Way to Cook) this Sunday w/ a baguette and a green veg of some sort.

We haven't made this before so it'll be an adventure, a joint effort for Spawn the Elder and me.  I volunteered to make the Hollandaise sauce that will go over the braised fish and mousseline.
That sounds delicious! Post pictures!!

It also reminds me I need to find a decent crusty bread product for our dinner. That porto sauce needs an additional delivery mechanism. Which is easier said than done where I am.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 12:17:03 PM by Kumbaya »

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2022, 12:44:39 PM »
I've only tried one of her recipes and it was too rich for me, and the other recipes looked too heavy in meat and dairy for my taste. But I enjoyed the book Julie and Julia a lot. I like the concept of working through her cookbook as a hobby/adventure.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2022, 12:51:06 PM »
Yeh the recipes I have had / made are full of fat, cream, butter, etc.  to me that's what makes it taste good!
it's not protein, sauce on the side, and steamed veggies.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2022, 01:04:12 PM »
Yeh the recipes I have had / made are full of fat, cream, butter, etc.  to me that's what makes it taste good!
it's not protein, sauce on the side, and steamed veggies.

Yes, they are rich, for sure.  Julia never skimped on butter!   

I tend to limit my consumption of red meat (we treat it like more of a condiment than the centerpiece of a meal), and more often use olive and safflower oils vs butter for cooking.  On a weekly basis, I do eat butter in limited quantities, but I weigh it (typically 7 grams) if I am using it for, say, a French omelet.

That said, the occasional indulgence in Julia's rich recipes is fine (plus I watch my portions), but they are not something I'd prepare on a weekly basis.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 06:39:12 PM »
I'm unashamed in my fat consumption. Once a week is ok by me! Although we are only doing this for April. :D

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2022, 08:46:26 PM »
Poulet au Porto

Roasted chicken. She directs that you cook it on its side after basting all sides on a high temp for the first 15 minutes.  Then turn down the heat, and baste every 8-10 minutes until done. Turned out perfectly.

Then you carve the bird (we used a 3lb fryer), put it back in some of its cooking juices, flambé the meat with cognac, and then reheat and sit in a delicious mushroom, cream, port sauce. It doesn't look like much in this pic - - but it was excellent. 

Served with potatoes sautéed in clarified butter and fresh herbs. Add salt and pepper.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 08:47:57 PM by Kumbaya »

+-SUPPORT US