Author Topic: Mushies  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Mushies
« on: March 11, 2022, 11:39:45 AM »
I’ve gotten into growing mushrooms - I first ordered some kits from a company called North Spore. Here is what I have right now, though the lion’s mane in the upper left will have to go, at least the yellowing part of it.

I also have enoki and maitake mycelium colonizing rye berries in my office closet.

I started doing this because the lion’s mane kit was $28, you get 2-3 harvests. Meanwhile my local fancy store charges $50/lb for them.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
Re: Mushies
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 01:42:06 PM »
That is so cool! I would love to do that!

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 01:46:39 PM »
That is so cool! I would love to do that!
It’s really, really easy with these kits! And there are a lot of companies that make these growing kits. Literally all you do is open the front of the box, slice an X into the plastic wrap with a sharp knife or cutter, then mist lightly with water in the am and pm. North Spore even includes little glass spray bottle to use!

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 08:30:46 AM »
We've done that. It is fun!  And tasty!
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 09:37:30 AM »
Now you have me looking at the shiitake log. I need another hobby like I need a hole in the head though. But it takes a while to get going so maybe by the time it’s ready to harvest I’ll have loads of spare time??

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 05:09:08 PM »
I have done many of these, they are so fun!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 05:52:35 PM »
Now you have me looking at the shiitake log. I need another hobby like I need a hole in the head though. But it takes a while to get going so maybe by the time it’s ready to harvest I’ll have loads of spare time??
I would love to do a log, but I'd have to somehow do it in indoors. Austin climate not the best for mushroom growing! I am going to try and grow the enoki in sawdust, and the maitake maybe in some kind of wood mulch? I should Google to see if any of them have ready made substrates I can use.

+-SUPPORT US