Author Topic: Low carb meals that are good  (Read 6572 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Re: Low carb meals that are good
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2022, 12:38:18 PM »
Ooo, crustless quiche (frittata) is good.  I don't low carb about anything, but it's still nice to not depend on whether you have crust in the fridge or freezer.

I've actually never done a meal kit, but a lot of my friends do it to break a rut.  If they really like something, they'll cook it from scratch in the future.

I'm a superfan of grilled salmon on a salad.  I should probalby branch out from the Tony Chachere's, and do some other seasoning, but I just love it so much.  I have also used potlatch seasoning and even burger seasoning, both of which are good, but I really like the contrast of spicy salmon with a cool salad.

Also, although I'd have it on a bun, if you do the burger without a bun thing, a nice change is Moroccan seasoning and a little goat cheese on your burger patty. 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2022, 04:35:27 PM »
I just found out NYT cooking is free through the local library.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 11:29:43 PM »
Seaweed pasta is disgusting. I’m not actually sure it’s made from seaweed, but that seems like a reasonable guess. But it has like 2 calories and if your sauce is flavorful enough you can almost forget it’s so disgusting and pretend it’s pasta. Just rinse it like crazy before you make it. It’s sold in the same place as tofu.

The upside of all of the above dishes is they take very little hands on time to make.

Is it made with konjac? I actually like konjac and I can tell you it goes right through so can't add any calories. But my family would never. It's something I eat when my husband is out and the kids are in bed.

We just do 1 protein, 1 salad, 1 veg, and 1 carb most night and the kids eat the carb (sometimes my DH). We undo low carb by eating dessert and drinking but that's not the point.

Tonight was hoisin marinated chicken thighs (braised over a bed of browned onions), regular green salad, beets (didn't fit the theme but they were already roasted), and rice. But, do you mean low carb like hoisin marinade and beets would be no go? If so, maybe a oil and vinegar marinade and broccoli instead?

Shrimp in red sauce over spaghetti squash is a favorite here. Will make some pasta for kids sometimes or sometimes not.

Grilled shrimp, raw kale salad, roasted cauliflower, and sweet potatoes were Monday.

Last night was salmon, sauteed kale (loads of garlic and onion), carrot slices with baba, and kids had fingerling potatoes.

Steak, sauteed spinach, salad, polenta. (We eat a lot of the same boring salad ... butter lettuce or other greens, bell pepper, cucumber, cherry tomato. But sometimes arugula, grapefruit and either a nut or sharp cheese with homemade dressing. Or .. dark greens, blue cheese, roasted nuts, and craisins but that's not low carb or low cal).

I think lots of interesting veg dish are the key so you don't miss the carbs too much. And, I generally doubt that you can overeat veg but if really trying to cut back we do focus on greens over winter squash and beets.

It does seem my kids are more fart filled than other kids but everything in life has trade offs!!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2022, 11:20:59 AM »
Woot! I'll have to try that.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2022, 09:07:06 AM »
what?!?! i pay for it!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2022, 01:58:25 PM »

I don't come into these threads very often, but I am glad I just did. I did just pay for a year subscription for the cooking part of NYTs for a year (it was only $20), but just learned that yes, I can access the NYT for free through my library. Score!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2022, 04:17:37 PM »
I don't come into these threads very often, but I am glad I just did. I did just pay for a year subscription for the cooking part of NYTs for a year (it was only $20), but just learned that yes, I can access the NYT for free through my library. Score!

Cool, glad I could help you.

+-SUPPORT US