Author Topic: Tofu  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Tofu
« on: December 01, 2021, 11:53:33 AM »
I just had the best tofu. It was in a poke bowl and they fried it in little bite-size cubes. It was kind of charred, smoky, and an almost meaty feel when I bit into it.

Does anyone here know how to cook tofu like that? I've tried multiple times and am always underwhelmed. I need some tips.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Tofu
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »
I think I'd do it pan fried at a high temp. I believe you should press tofu before cooking to remove excess moisture. And I think you can dredge tofu in flour first too.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 04:37:45 PM »
I do press the tofu before cooking. I've also tried dredging in cornstarch, although not in flour.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 08:27:34 PM »
press, dredge in corn starch, air fry!

I have never done it but some people say freezing and then thawing tofu makes it chewier. Also the brand of tofu can make a HUGE difference.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 09:18:42 AM »
I do press the tofu before cooking. I've also tried dredging in cornstarch, although not in flour.

I find dredging in cornstarch is the crispiest way to fry tofu. Dredging in tapioca starch gives you a chewier crust on it.

To get a good char and smokiness though, I suspect you need an actual charcoal grill... or to by it grilled. https://www.house-foods.com/products/organic-tofu/organic-tofu/organic-super-firm-tofu-grilled

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »
Don't listen to me about the flour. I remembered you could dredge but I think everyone else is right and it's cornstarch you want.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 06:58:45 PM »
press, dredge in corn starch, air fry!

I have never done it but some people say freezing and then thawing tofu makes it chewier. Also the brand of tofu can make a HUGE difference.
I hadn't even thought about the brand being important.

And air fry?! Do you spray it with oil first?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 08:48:30 PM »
I hadn't even thought about the brand being important.

And air fry?! Do you spray it with oil first?
OMG yes! The brand is so important. Pre COVID i was getting my tofu locally from a hippie commune in VA but they are not currently making any, it was 100 times better than mass produced. Asian markets may be your best bet for amazing tofu. I do not spray with oil, just cut, dredge in corn starch and air fry, toss the basket as needed
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
Tofu... no, way.  Tempeh, absolutely.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 01:48:59 PM »
Tofu... no, way.  Tempeh, absolutely.
I haven't been able to find any tofu, but I did get some tempeh. How do you prepare it?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 07:06:59 AM »
I haven't been able to find any tofu, but I did get some tempeh. How do you prepare it?
STeam it then saute or strifry.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 07:17:02 AM »
For chewy, yummy mouthfeel I press, cube, freeze.  Then the day I want to cook I drop in simmering water for 15 min, let dry and then cornstarch and air fry.  Several steps but worth it.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US