Author Topic: Haloumi  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Haloumi
« on: September 24, 2021, 07:58:22 PM »
I bought an 8 oz. package at Aldi's. Never used it before and did not know what it was. Looked up a few recipes, but if anyone has a favorite, I'd be glad to look at it.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Haloumi
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 08:36:43 PM »
Haloumi pairs well with watermelon and bacon/pancetta/prosciutto and something green like arugula or mint.  Google for recipes. 

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 09:12:03 PM »
One of my former direct reports is a Greek Cypriot, and he introduced me to the deliciousness that is halloumi.  My favorite way to fix it is to coat ~1/2 inch slices with olive oil, place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, sprinkle fresh thyme leaves over all, then bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.  Baking it is much less messy than grilling the cheese.
Check these out. 

Cooking Halloumi Cheese: How to Do It
How to Cook Halloumi: A Complete Guide and Recipe Ideas

#notallprogressives

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 11:07:37 AM »
One of my former direct reports is a Greek Cypriot, and he introduced me to the deliciousness that is halloumi.  My favorite way to fix it is to coat ~1/2 inch slices with olive oil, place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, sprinkle fresh thyme leaves over all, then bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.  Baking it is much less messy than grilling the cheese.
Check these out. 

Cooking Halloumi Cheese: How to Do It
How to Cook Halloumi: A Complete Guide and Recipe Ideas

Thanks. I was concerned about the pan fried recipes. Was hioping to use the oven.

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 03:14:11 AM »
Thanks. I was concerned about the pan fried recipes. Was hioping to use the oven.

I love squeaky cheese! Great grilled and in salads. I used to cook in grill press and then just thrown into a salad.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 07:42:26 AM »
MMM.  halloumi.  I love it.
I throw it in a cast iron skillet with some pre-heated olive oil.  Then, serve alongside a salad.  I will put a dollop of mint hot sauce on it. Super easy.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 06:21:45 PM »
Grill it or cook in a skillet. I love it. No one else here does, so more for me.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 02:40:54 PM »
Caribougirl recommended a recipe that I've made a few times and we love... https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/warm-winter-vegetable-salad-with-halloumi

It's very pretty and fall-looking. The cabbage cooks down to almost nothing.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 06:45:47 AM »
Caribougirl recommended a recipe that I've made a few times and we love... https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/warm-winter-vegetable-salad-with-halloumi

that looks so good. Did you use sumac? I do not have it.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »

Made this tonight!!! And after not being able to find allepo pepper at the store i actually had it in the cupboard and forgot the sumac to finish it with even though i bought it LOL

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 05:28:54 PM »
I finally made it tonight. It was quite good, but too salty to my taste.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 11:20:14 AM »
Made this tonight!!! And after not being able to find allepo pepper at the store i actually had it in the cupboard and forgot the sumac to finish it with even though i bought it LOL
did you like it?

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 11:21:31 AM »
I don't remember that, but I do love salt.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 11:49:01 AM »
You can sub in blocks of feta for halloumi in most recipes, with a similar outcome. So good either way!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 08:31:16 PM »
You can rinse and drain it in a colander to remove some of the salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 08:11:17 PM »
did you like it?
YES! and my diet is too low in salt so salt doesn't bother me.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 10:51:54 AM »
YES! and my diet is too low in salt so salt doesn't bother me.

I don't like the taste of salty food.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 11:01:41 AM »
halloumi and feta are both very salty, some halloumi is too salty for me

I find paneer is a good substitute without too much salt, but it's not always easy for me to find here.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 11:29:05 AM »
I love salt!! I hope I never develop any health issues that require a low salt diet. Unsalted food tastes like sadness.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 09:36:39 PM »
I love salt!! I hope I never develop any health issues that require a low salt diet. Unsalted food tastes like sadness.

1!  to me anyways
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2021, 08:29:09 AM »

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 10:06:20 AM »

I made this yesterday!  I omitted the pita, reduced the total amount of olive oil to 3 tablespoons (vs 5 T - yikes), and subbed Hungarian sharp paprika for the Aleppo pepper.  We have sumac (nice complement to the flavors), and I added some of the last fresh mint of the season that is growing in a pot on our front stoop. 

It was delicious!  I'll definitely make it again. Thanks muchly for sharing this.  :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 10:09:57 AM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2021, 02:40:21 PM »
I am making it for Thanksgiving!!!!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2021, 07:31:14 PM »
I am making it for Thanksgiving!!!!

Did you get it from Aldi's?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 10:50:21 PM »
Did you get it from Aldi's?
No, they were out of Halloumi this time and I paid an arm and a leg at Whole Foods :( I did not have time to get to Lidl and not sure if it is a seasonal cheese there as well since it is often grilled. I did get the Aldi cheese advent calendar  :roll:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2021, 07:52:52 AM »
No, they were out of Halloumi this time and I paid an arm and a leg at Whole Foods :( I did not have time to get to Lidl and not sure if it is a seasonal cheese there as well since it is often grilled. I did get the Aldi cheese advent calendar  :roll:

I looked all over for the cheese calendar, but they didn't have them. You have to get it quickly. I wish we had Lidl here, too.It looks to me like the Halloumi isn't seasonal.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2021, 10:42:33 AM »
I looked all over for the cheese calendar, but they didn't have them. You have to get it quickly. I wish we had Lidl here, too.It looks to me like the Halloumi isn't seasonal.
OMG I went to Aldi 8am on "Advent Calendar Day" to get it  :roll: I was off of work that day and went right from the bus stop. They got a very small amount of them and all 6 people in the store were there for advent calendars. We do not get the alcohol ones in PA (or DE!). I do not have a Keurig but most people were there for the cheese and coffee ones.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2021, 08:51:51 AM »
OMG I went to Aldi 8am on "Advent Calendar Day" to get it  :roll: I was off of work that day and went right from the bus stop. They got a very small amount of them and all 6 people in the store were there for advent calendars. We do not get the alcohol ones in PA (or DE!). I do not have a Keurig but most people were there for the cheese and coffee ones.

In past years, I have always got them. First year without. Although I must say that there are some excellent cheeses out there now in that store. Aldi's in Germany is definitely nor as good as it is here in the USA. They are some of the most unattractive shopping experiences with long long check-out lines. The prices are great, though.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2021, 09:49:53 AM »
Funny, my (limited) experience in a German Aldi was the opposite. I thought German Aldi was way better than the one I'd previously been to in the states.

I later discovered much nicer US Aldi stores, though. So maybe just the one we used to go to in Hudson NY was so terrible it made the Munich one look amazing.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2021, 10:13:22 AM »
Funny, my (limited) experience in a German Aldi was the opposite. I thought German Aldi was way better than the one I'd previously been to in the states.

I later discovered much nicer US Aldi stores, though. So maybe just the one we used to go to in Hudson NY was so terrible it made the Munich one look amazing.

The one in Hudson was indeed a dump. It was an older one. So was the one in Rensselaer. The one I have here was always a far better shopping experience. In Munich, it would have to look a little better because of competition. Small town Aldis in Germany are terrible, but the prices can not be beaten.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »
I used to live in Hudson on Lake Boon.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2021, 03:54:13 PM »
I used to live in Hudson on Lake Boon.

This is Hudson, NY, though. Lake Boon is in MA.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 04:02:32 PM »
This is Hudson, NY, though. Lake Boon is in MA.
oh, haha, yes Hudson, MA!

Offline ihop

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2021, 06:55:15 PM »

Made this tonight. Delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2021, 07:07:38 AM »
Did I come back to mention that the Whole Foods Halloumi, which was 3 times the price of Aldi or Lidl, was 3 times as tasty?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2021, 07:00:06 AM »
I liked the haloumi, but it produced a bit of smoke, and I was worried that the fire alarm would be triggered. That happens very easily here, and mine is connected to 3 other condos that are not inhabited most of the time.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2022, 06:47:32 PM »
2 recipes I made lately that were both hits and use Halloumi cheese!
https://www.happyveggiekitchen.com/halloumi-fajitas/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_tribes&utm_content=tribes&utm_term=560369852_20619104_209191

this one DD requested AGAIN tonight after having it this weekend, I did not put hummus on it
https://www.happyveggiekitchen.com/halloumi-traybake/

+-SUPPORT US