Author Topic: Ancaster Old Mill 10K Race Report  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Ancaster Old Mill 10K Race Report
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »
33rd Annual Ancaster Old Mill 10K.  Evening run in a little town about an hour south-west of Toronto.  Weather all afternoon was light rain or heavy mist.  Rain did let up just before race started but returned with 2K to go.  Cool temps in the low 60F. 

Both the 5K with 294 registrants and the 10K with 94 entrants took off at the same time at 7pm from the town's sports arena.  Good 25-meter valley dip in the course 1K in, and since it was on an out and back section of a double loop for the 10K, we did it four times.

Fell into pace with I’m guessing a dad or coach and a 20 something gal.  We hopscotched a couple of times the first 5K, but ended up leading them all the way in the last 5K.   Interesting thing was that he also assisted, pushing at his back, a tweener kid up the last hill towards the 5K finish for about three-fourth uphill, catching up to two other tweeners, when he let him go on his own.  I eventually came in 8 seconds ahead of this couple.  Somewhat sure the guy could of beat me, but was determined to stick and coach/pace with the gal.  According to the results, the last name of the guy was Whitlock.  Not sure if he is related to the just recently deceased world record master runner, Ed Whitlock as he lived close by.  Last time I did this race on a totally different course, was about 12 years ago and I remember holding on to Ed Whitlock for 5K before he took off on me.

Chip time finish was 47.08 and gun time 47.22.  32nd overall, 26th male, 6th in the 50-59 age group.  The 5K with more people had 5-year age group divisions with my age group 55-59 first finisher coming in at 24.37.  GPS had the course short at 9.7K.  Must of run those tangents too good.  WAVA table for 57-year-old male has me at 39.27 equivalency.  Back under 40 minutes theoretically.   :)

Good food spread at the end.  Salad, nacho chips, chili, mac & cheese and hot dogs, well wieners, as they ran out of buns by the time the 10Kers were coming in.  :(

Screen shot of the start. I'm bib# 589.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:27:48 PM by Fast Eddie »
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: Ancaster Old Mill 10K Race Report
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 09:18:03 AM »
 :obh:

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »
Great job!

I want to find a race where they have Mac and Cheese at the finish.  I would definitely sign up for that.
chqm8= 'checkmate'

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »
Good job on the run :runner:

And a nice time.
Too bad you are in the age group of the running boom.

About 8 years ago at age 48 I ran a decent sized half marathon in about
1:44  and took 54th male overall. I checked to see if that was good
enough for an age award.

It turns out I was in 27th place age-wise because half of the men who finished
ahead of me were also in the 40-49 group.

Seriously, half of the first 54 finishers were master age runners.

They are the big group (now in their 50s) who were inspired by
the running boom of the 1970s powered by Fixx, Prefontaine, Rodgers, Shorter, et al.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:37:18 PM »
Yeah, tell me about it PA.  So many talented masters around here.  I look at some finishing times at races nowadays compared to my heyday times I had in when I was in my 30s or 40s and would be on the podium at many current races.  Were fewer races back then too, so competition was much tougher back then with all the good runners coming to most of the races.  Back then, I was just happy to end up on the first or second page of the result sheets. 

I just got to hang on for more of them to die, injury themselves, or retire from running.   :fingers:  :old:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

+-SUPPORT US