Author Topic: Has an injury ever forced you to stop running for a significant amount of time?  (Read 12201 times)

siamesedream

?

I'm at 7 weeks, but close to coming back. It's been sucktastic.  :(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:48:43 AM by siamesedream »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
I broke my arm in a track meet; that killed my season.  Another time I tore a hamstring and was out for the rest of the season.

Offline nneJ

• The Runners
  • Breathing without remorse since 1976
Yes.

It sucked.
I can't, just can't let myself be beat by people dressed as cheeseburgers.  ~Eco Ellen

Uh. Did I just get compared to a three-year-old on a sugar high? ~debbatx

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
It should have...and I probably stayed injured way longer than necessary...but, I healed eventually..

I'm sorry, brother....I'd lose my mind...

siamesedream

It should have...and I probably stayed injured way longer than necessary...but, I healed eventually..

I'm sorry, brother....I'd lose my mind...

It's been tough mentally for sure, I rely on running for my endorphin fix and walking is a lousy substitute. 

siamesedream

Thanks, everyone.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
yes, six weeks for a broken toe. It was not as bad as I anticipated it would be.  I remember getting back to running and thinking it was very difficult.

siamesedream

yes, six weeks for a broken toe. It was not as bad as I anticipated it would be.  I remember getting back to running and thinking it was very difficult.

I dread my first run, 7 weeks is a long time and I've  probably lost tons of aerobic fitness.

Offline junette

• Borderline
9 months! From last December to August with a torn tendon. It was awful. I'm able to run 3 days a week now, and my fitness level sucks

siamesedream

9 months! From last December to August with a torn tendon. It was awful. I'm able to run 3 days a week now, and my fitness level sucks

Keep at it, 3 days a week is better than 0 days. :hug:

Belgian Lace

Yep.  No running for 3-4 months.

:lambie:

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane

Can you lift or do kettlebells?
Getting a fix from a sweaty grunt workout may be somewhat helpful.

:hug:
On, Wisconsin

Online Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Knee tendonitis for two months after my first marathon.  Otherwise I've been pretty injury free over my 80 marathons career.  Knock on wood.   :obh:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
I dread my first run, 7 weeks is a long time and I've  probably lost tons of aerobic fitness.

But it comes back quickly, that is the good news. I was surprised at how quickly, but I definitely remember thinking after my first or second run that I did not know how difficult running was.

siamesedream

But it comes back quickly, that is the good news. I was surprised at how quickly, but I definitely remember thinking after my first or second run that I did not know how difficult running was.

Yep, I'm sure I took for granted the relative ease of how running feels after so many years of continuous and uninterrupted running.

And to WTPJ, I do lift free weights every other day..and that provides some endorphin rush.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Yep, I'm sure I took for granted the relative ease of how running feels after so many years of continuous and uninterrupted running.

And to WTPJ, I do lift free weights every other day..and that provides some endorphin rush.

There was an article in the NYtimes recently that said that endorphins do NOT play any role in a rush.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
I did not run for 2.5 months last summer. Several weeks in I was an emotional wreck. I am someone who works out 5-6 days a week. I wound up working with a personal trainer who spiked my heart rate and focused on strengthening my legs/core. When I started running again, I was strong and very easily rebuilt what I had lost. Then I hurt my back - again - with the personal trainer ironically. The chiro had to fix that and I did take it easy for a few weeks, but the trainer did wonders for my emotional state.

Zapatista

Torn hammy in 98. Missed two months and ran very little for another month. Torn meniscus in 2006. Out three months and gained 10 pounds. But my 1st run was still faster than I can run now, even though I'm 20 pounds lighter.

+-SUPPORT US