Author Topic: Is Run/Walk considered interval training?  (Read 3991 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Is Run/Walk considered interval training?
« on: October 13, 2015, 08:20:56 AM »
Either the Galloway method or C25k?

There's an interval training article going around the horse world right now and what everyone seems to be describing as intervals is C25k walk/run.  I don't consider that interval training.  IMO intervals are a higher intensity workout one does after a cardiologist base is built.

I might not be up to date on this sort of thing, so I ask you all.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Is Run/Walk considered interval training?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »
I would think it qualifies as such. But I do not really think it really matters what you call your workout.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »
Are we talking interval training for people or horses?

I've always though of intervals as switching from medium-fast to really-fast to brief rest, and repeat

YMMV
For people.  I've always thought as intervals being more HIIT, a hard workout done after a cardio base is built.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »
I would think it qualifies as such. But I do not really think it really matters what you call your workout.
True.  But for sake of language and understanding IMO it's good to have a fairly universal definition of something.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:57:36 AM »
Gallowalking has the same shape as high-intensity interval training, more or less.  But I think of them as training methods that target different energy systems.  Gallowalking primarily builds aerobic capacity, interval training primarily targets the anaerobic energy system.  There's crossover, of course, but I think that's generally accurate. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 11:34:32 AM »
"Hundred Milers are all Gallowalking Festivals" - Merigayle
That's the truth :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nneJ

• The Runners
  • Breathing without remorse since 1976
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »
There's an interval training article going around the horse world right now and what everyone seems to be describing as intervals is C25k walk/run.  I don't consider that interval training.  IMO intervals are a higher intensity workout one does after a cardiologist base is built.

Interval training: training in which an athlete alternates between two activities, typically requiring different rates of speed, degrees of effort, etc.

So yeah, it's interval training.
I can't, just can't let myself be beat by people dressed as cheeseburgers.  ~Eco Ellen

Uh. Did I just get compared to a three-year-old on a sugar high? ~debbatx

+-SUPPORT US