Author Topic: Rainy Half Marathon - HELP!  (Read 4970 times)

Offline RunSusanRun

• Borderline
Rainy Half Marathon - HELP!
« on: September 11, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »
I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday and it's supposed to be raining (showers with chance of a thunderstorm).  I've done 5Ks and 10Ks in the rain before, but never a half, and didn't do anything different except wear a hat.  Do I need to prepare differently for a half?  Vaseline on my feet?  Duct tape on my running shoes?  Rain poncho?  Temp should be in the high 60s to start (8:00AM).  Thanks.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Re: Rainy Half Marathon - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »
Extra BodyGlide on chaffing prone areas. I do not wear a hat unless it is going to be very cold.Everything else is the same, no changes.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:19:11 AM »
I am running a 100 mile race and the forecast went from ok to 20% rain to 100% chance of rain, so I feel your pain. Good socks and extra lube. Otherwise, possibly a light weight long sleeve shirt if you think you will get cold, but that would not be likely for a half marathon. Good socks would be ones that would drain well in the rain, such as wool ones.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RunSusanRun

• Borderline
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 12:55:56 PM »
Extra BodyGlide on chaffing prone areas. I do not wear a hat unless it is going to be very cold.Everything else is the same, no changes.

I've never chaffed and never used Body Glide - so I don't need it for the rainy half?

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 05:59:02 PM »
I usually wear a large plastic garbage bag with a hole cut in the bottom for my head.  When the race starts, I throw it out.  Nothing is worse than getting cold waiting for the race to start.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 06:37:02 PM »
I've never chaffed and never used Body Glide - so I don't need it for the rainy half?

If you have not had problems in very humid conditions where you are soaked for 2 hours no I think you would be OK.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Belgian Lace

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 06:50:31 PM »
Good socks. Body Glide if you blister/chafe. Hat if you normally wear one or wear glasses.

I picked up a 4 minute HM  PR in the rain last weekend.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »

Thigh gap?    :groucho:

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 04:10:02 PM »
My goto rain gear is a garbage bag with holes cut for my head and arms.
That is also part of my goto for -20 wind chills in winter.
Most gas stations sell emergency ponchos for about $2.

A hat is also normal wear, a light one to keep the sun out of my eyes and/or put ice under if hot weather,
or a heavier cap to keep my head warm if cold weather.
Heat is my main problem, so I usually welcome rain.

Normal vaseline use. Duct tape on shoes if expecting heavy downpour.
Dry towels and clothing for after the race.
Good luck. Post a race report :runner:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »
How did you do? I did not chaff but my feet took a beating, not really blistered, just raw and my hands were pruny the whole race.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RunSusanRun

• Borderline
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »
It didn't rain.  Forecast had changed to overcast...ended up being sunny, hot & humid.  But I did not chafe :)   I had a sucky race, but at least I did it.   I'm registered for another half beginning of October, and then I think it may be time to retire from HMs.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »
It didn't rain.  Forecast had changed to overcast...ended up being sunny, hot & humid.  But I did not chafe :)   I had a sucky race, but at least I did it.   I'm registered for another half beginning of October, and then I think it may be time to retire from HMs.
Glad the rain passed by you :) My race's forecast went from bad to worse to even worse than that  :sigh:

+-SUPPORT US